Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Absolute nonsense, 2 different styles, Bevis has just stayed in his own half and defended. Whereas Sod is asked to overlap and attack. If you're watching the game, its a totally different set up to how we would play with Sod. 

Are you O'Donnell's agent? seriously how anyone can defend our so called Captain this season is beyond me. Pish going forward, Pish defending and goes in a huff and gets sent off. Yeah superb player :fool:

1 hour ago, David said:

5th in the table after beating Aberdeen 2-0 away from home?

Not bad considering our manager apparently hasn't got a clue what he's doing, eh?

The result is great and the points tally more than decent. Did you honestly enjoy watching St Mirren and Rangers piss all over us?

Im not calling for the managers head. I actually think, man for man he has brought in a more than sble set of players. I just want to see us be a bit more expansive

2 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

The result is great and the points tally more than decent. Did you honestly enjoy watching St Mirren and Rangers piss all over us?

Im not calling for the managers head. I actually think, man for man he has brought in a more than sble set of players. I just want to see us be a bit more expansive

our football is brutal, I've not called for the Mangers head I dont enjoy his style,  I just subscribe to the notion we are invariably pish to watch every week.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

our football is brutal, I've not called for the Mangers head I dont enjoy his style,  I just subscribe to the notion we are invariably pish to watch every week.

Im with you on this.  We are ruthless with the chances we make  like us all delighted to win. 

It' just not enjoyable to have so little play, no progression, limited chances.   If this was a short term plan to build towards something better then it would be easier to understand but from what we've gleaned the plan is simply defend deep and go for the smash and grab. 

The chat about Mugabi not getting forward enough is fair doos, but he's a big bastard of a centre half being chucked in at right back, he's never going to turn into Cafu overnight. He was far more solid defensively than SOD today and he showed signs of marauding forward when given the opportunity. That'll surely grow with a bit more familiarity/confidence in the role.

I like O'Donnell, I think he's an excellent RWB (as shown over the summer) but is actually just quite an average RB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

The chat about Mugabi not getting forward enough is fair doos, but he's a big bastard of a centre half being chucked in at right back, he's never going to turn into Cafu overnight. He was far more solid defensively than SOD today and he showed signs of marauding forward when given the opportunity. That'll surely grow with a bit more familiarity/confidence in the role.

I like O'Donnell, I think he's an excellent RWB (as shown over the summer) but is actually just quite an average RB.

I also like O’Donnell and I do think he is a good player. However, I’d say he is going through a run of bad form. That’s said as a comparison of how good he can be and not  as a comparison to other players. Mugabi has played well enough to merit maintaining a starting spot in that position but remains to be seen what GA decides for the hearts game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

It's the way of the modern game. Any time people talk about top class full backs these days they are referring to how many times they bomb up and down the park and the quality of their crosses or number of assists. I can't remember the last time I saw any stats anywhere about their number of tackles, balls won or crosses stopped - which for me is the most important part of that position, but barely gets a passing thought.

43 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Im with you on this.  We are ruthless with the chances we make  like us all delighted to win. 

It' just not enjoyable to have so little play, no progression, limited chances.   If this was a short term plan to build towards something better then it would be easier to understand but from what we've gleaned the plan is simply defend deep and go for the smash and grab. 

Difference today was that we didn’t shoot ourselves in the foot. We had a damn good try at it a few times but managed not to. Next game against Hearts which is not beyond us winning. We gifted them 2 goals at Tynecastle. If we can avoid the self destruct button we have a decent chance. 

23 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Anyone know what was wrong with Ojala? Hopefully he's OK.

I've no idea what happened with ojala,hopefully as he was able to walk off it was just precautionary and he will be fit for for our next game.hes fast becoming one of our most important players,he was excellent again today,his reading of the game is first class.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's the way of the modern game. Any time people talk about top class full backs these days they are referring to how many times they bomb up and down the park and the quality of their crosses or number of assists. I can't remember the last time I saw any stats anywhere about their number of tackles, balls won or crosses stopped - which for me is the most important part of that position, but barely gets a passing thought.

If you are playing 4 at the back full backs should be defenders first and foremost.  

You defend as four in a line and if the full backs are getting forward you are just asking for trouble because you are defeating the whole point of having a back four.

If you want to play wing backs you go for 3 at the back.  Like McLean did when we played Shannon and McKinnon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Hopefully he does, international defender who not only gets lambasted by his nation, but also by his own support, makes you wonder why we signed him and made him captain. It was not only one player changed today, No Slattery, KVV started up front, Mcguire in midfield along with  O'hara defending right hand side in front of Bevis, who kept it simple by not overlapping or putting in crosses and in some instances dropping to make a 3 at the back. As I said earlier, if SOD had made a bollocks of the pass back in the first half he would have been slated, but fortunately Kelly bailed him out. It was a typical Alexander backs to the wall perfomance. Unlike St Mirren where a Bevis and Kelly mistake let them back in the game. But hay ho Bevis is brilliant. 

so why does he get " lambasted " by some scotland and Motherwell 

I dont think theres a vendetta against him.

you're right , him and Mugabe are different players , I would say Mugabe is more effective at RB,he doesnt overlap the same  but sods crossing is poor when he gets forward so whsts the point .

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You defend as four in a line and if the full backs are getting forward you are just asking for trouble because you are defeating the whole point of having a back four.

There are far more positives than negatives to having attacking full backs, like overlapping, 2 on 1 situations, high press when we lose the ball etc. It's just part of the modern game to get forward and support the attack. The holding midfielder is generally tasked with nullifying the counter attack and closing the space left behind from an attacking fullback.

Edit - a perfect example, McGinley’s overlapping run for the first to give Goss space for the cross.

Also the free kick for the second, McGinley going down holding his head for a quarter of a second is fantastic :lol: