SteelmaninOZ

Aberdeen v Motherwell 6/11/2021

So far this season we’ve only won 1 league game with SOD at right back whereas we’ve won them all with Mugabi in that position.

Surely can’t revert back vs Hearts.

Lamie was brilliant when he came on, threw himself at everything. I've moved on from thinking he's a bombscare, he's a solid center back.
I thought McGinley was fine too, he got overrun when they switched to a back 4, but bringing on Carroll nullified that. Once mugabi realizes he can just run through people up the right wing he's going to be a fun right back to watch.

Solholm was really shaky in the first half, and almost cost us a couple of times. He was better in the second half, and Ojala was solid until he had to go off

The midfield was awful. One day I'll understand the tactics around it. The win column suggests it works, bit it is not fun at all to watch. Slattery willost likely be back for the next game.

Those finishes from VV were excellent, and Goss played his part in both goals. If we can get decent deliveries into the box Watt and VV will score plenty.

Kelly is the man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZT_1886 said:

So far this season we’ve only won 1 league game with SOD at right back whereas we’ve won them all with Mugabi in that position.

Surely can’t revert back vs Hearts.

Hopefully he does, international defender who not only gets lambasted by his nation, but also by his own support, makes you wonder why we signed him and made him captain. It was not only one player changed today, No Slattery, KVV started up front, Mcguire in midfield along with  O'hara defending right hand side in front of Bevis, who kept it simple by not overlapping or putting in crosses and in some instances dropping to make a 3 at the back. As I said earlier, if SOD had made a bollocks of the pass back in the first half he would have been slated, but fortunately Kelly bailed him out. It was a typical Alexander backs to the wall perfomance. Unlike St Mirren where a Bevis and Kelly mistake let them back in the game. But hay ho Bevis is brilliant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllyMax said:

So, persisting with the crap formation, taking the only footballer out of midfield and leaving a badly underperforming centre half at left back.....

I'm not a sack the manager type normally, but this guy is a fucking idiot.

(Will happily eat my words/hat if required).

Big plate of words and hats for dinner tonight. Yum :-)

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:
Hopefully he does, international defender who not only gets lambasted by his nation, but also by his own support, makes you wonder why we signed him and made him captain. It was not only one player changed today, No Slattery, KVV started up front, Mcguire in midfield along with  O'hara defending right hand side in front of Bevis, who kept it simple by not overlapping or putting in crosses and in some instances dropping to make a 3 at the back. As I said earlier, if SOD had made a bollocks of the pass back in the first half he would have been slated, but fortunately Kelly bailed him out. It was a typical Alexander backs to the wall perfomance. Unlike St Mirren where a Bevis and Kelly mistake let them back in the game. But hay ho Bevis is brilliant. 

It’s the captain’s curse.
I felt he did alright last season without being spectacular but got a lot of undeserved criticism due to his involvement in the Scotland setup creating higher expectations.

This season the stats don’t lie, 1 win in 9 league games with SOD at right back. 4 wins in 4 with Mugabi there. Mugabi isn’t perfect at the back but he is better than SOD at driving forward with the ball, something we’ve desperately needed these past couple of weeks.

Edited by ZT_1886

22 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

No not a case of Bevis is brilliant but results speak for themselves, I was an O'Donnell fan last year he was a big upgrade on Grimshaw who was in that position, but you have got to agree he has been no where near as effective this year. Whether that's a hang over from the Euro's  and the slaughtering that he got from some parts i don't know but he will know himself that he needs to pick his game up.  Nice guy and comes over well off the pitch but i don't think he is Captain material on-field.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

A thoroughly enjoyable second half. Goss and KVV making the difference. Ricki Lamie too, what a performance. He is extremely solid for us when called upon which is remarkable considering how genuinely horrific he was for the first few months of his Motherwell career.

I can only hope one day to love somebody as much as Lewis Irons loves Liam Kelly.

Enjoyable for 10 mins, great result but we a re hard to watch. After the absolute pish of the previous 5 games the result was always going to be  more important than the performance but we play some amount of mind numbing stuff.

10 minutes ago, ZT_1886 said:

It’s the captain’s curse.
I felt he did alright last season without being spectacular but got a lot of undeserved criticism due to his involvement in the Scotland setup creating higher expectations.

This season the stats don’t lie, 1 win in 9 league games with SOD at right back. 4 wins in 4 with Mugabi there. Mugabi isn’t perfect at the back but he is better than SOD at driving forward with the ball, something we’ve desperately needed these past couple of weeks.

Can't agree because Bevis didn't drive forward with the ball. Had 1 run when fouled by Ferguson, the rest of game sat back. As I said, different style, different set up. 

9 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Can't agree because Bevis didn't drive forward with the ball. Had 1 run when fouled by Ferguson, the rest of game sat back. As I said, different style, different set up. 

Hi Mrs O'donnell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Absolute nonsense, 2 different styles, Bevis has just stayed in his own half and defended. Whereas Sod is asked to overlap and attack. If you're watching the game, its a totally different set up to how we would play with Sod. 

Are you O'Donnell's agent? seriously how anyone can defend our so called Captain this season is beyond me. Pish going forward, Pish defending and goes in a huff and gets sent off. Yeah superb player :fool:

1 hour ago, David said:

5th in the table after beating Aberdeen 2-0 away from home?

Not bad considering our manager apparently hasn't got a clue what he's doing, eh?

The result is great and the points tally more than decent. Did you honestly enjoy watching St Mirren and Rangers piss all over us?

Im not calling for the managers head. I actually think, man for man he has brought in a more than sble set of players. I just want to see us be a bit more expansive

2 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

The result is great and the points tally more than decent. Did you honestly enjoy watching St Mirren and Rangers piss all over us?

Im not calling for the managers head. I actually think, man for man he has brought in a more than sble set of players. I just want to see us be a bit more expansive

our football is brutal, I've not called for the Mangers head I dont enjoy his style,  I just subscribe to the notion we are invariably pish to watch every week.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Are you O'Donnell's agent? seriously how anyone can defend our so called Captain this season is beyond me. Pish going forward, Pish defending and goes in a huff and gets sent off. Yeah superb player :fool:

No and he is just a far better player in that position than Bevis, who is our stop gap defender. Anybody injured, throw Bevis in. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

our football is brutal, I've not called for the Mangers head I dont enjoy his style,  I just subscribe to the notion we are invariably pish to watch every week.

My main issue is that we appear to have players that should be a "less pisher" watch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nsj said:

At least I’ve worked out why we miss out the midfield when we’re attacking, all they do is pass it backwards.  

A good win  but yes that's why we miss out midfield.

17 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im with you on this.  We are ruthless with the chances we make  like us all delighted to win. 

It' just not enjoyable to have so little play, no progression, limited chances.   If this was a short term plan to build towards something better then it would be easier to understand but from what we've gleaned the plan is simply defend deep and go for the smash and grab. 

An important 3 points to halt the slide. Not great viewing though. Hopefully we can keep our head above water until January and then strengthen midfield. Always good to beat the Dons although the BBC red and white mafia won't be happy with us. 

The chat about Mugabi not getting forward enough is fair doos, but he's a big bastard of a centre half being chucked in at right back, he's never going to turn into Cafu overnight. He was far more solid defensively than SOD today and he showed signs of marauding forward when given the opportunity. That'll surely grow with a bit more familiarity/confidence in the role.

I like O'Donnell, I think he's an excellent RWB (as shown over the summer) but is actually just quite an average RB.

• Like 2