Motherwell v Hearts 20/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

There's a decent shout for man of the match for all the outfield players. The back four were all excellent, and handled the few times hearts broke with ease. Lamie picking Ginelly's pocket when he was clean through was something else, and he won everything in the air along with Solholm. Our second goal was similar to that at Aberdeen, with another excellent ball in from Goss to Lamie. McGinley was solid and cut out the nonsense, and matches Slattery in being snide as fuck.

We need to find ways to accommodate Bevis in every game, he is box office value.

The key to the press working was the front three, especially shields and Woolery, who both had their best games for us. Shields is rapid and ran himself into the ground. We suddenly have a great set of options across the front three.

Also, that's two games without short corners, nice.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't know if the younger fans have quite the same level of animosity towards Hearts but I absolutely love beating them every bit as much as Rangers and Celtic.

Best display of the season.  Absolutely dominated from start to finish and should have probably won by quite a few more than we got.  Was a 2-0 going on 5-0.

The one thing I took away from the match today was the fantastic performances from some of the more 'unfashionable' players. 

Lamie, Maguire, Shields, Mugabi to name but four but everyone can be very pleased with their performance today.

Pretty much how I saw it too. The unfashionable players gave their all and the overall physical commitment was impressive. Also, the team seemed to know exactly what to do when  the Hearts attacks broke down and used the wings to good effect. By contrast, the Jambos rarely got behind us.

Haven’t  been a great fan of Goss but he shapes a free kick/ cross beautifully and I’m hoping Shields’  goal will give him confidence: he looks quite fast when given a ball to chase.

Hearts never really got a sniff, which was a wee shame for them  :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't know if the younger fans have quite the same level of animosity towards Hearts but I absolutely love beating them every bit as much as Rangers and Celtic.

Best display of the season.  Absolutely dominated from start to finish and should have probably won by quite a few more than we got.  Was a 2-0 going on 5-0.

The one thing I took away from the match today was the fantastic performances from some of the more 'unfashionable' players. 

Lamie, Maguire, Shields, Mugabi to name but four but everyone can be very pleased with their performance today.

couldnt agree more its always been my fav fixture I adore sticking it to them.

Like all on here that was our best performance of the season. We played the 1st half all in their half of pitch and 2nd half we started same and then their sending off and goal from resulting free kick meant we wer home and hosed.  We totally dominated them all over pitch today and I hope that gives boys huge confidence to really kick on.  All players done great and the players that came in after Aberdeen  game done especially well. Shields.woolery slattery and lamie. I hope that all the players are now realizing that if you dont do enough you will be out th team as if no injurys then I'm sure Alexander would have chosen the same team as last week.  We have a lot of options now and this is only a good thing.  Happy Saturdays.

2 hours ago, wellup83 said:

Brilliant performance from everyone today. You could toss an 11 sided coin for motm and every side would be just. Thought Lamie was outstanding and it was really pleasing to see him wrap up the points. The whole first half played in the hertz half and i don't think they registered a shot on goal til the 57th minute. Performance of the season so far and I'll look forward to Sportscene tonight. COYW 

You must have been watching a different game to Robbie Nielson, he thinks Hearts had comfortably the best chances in the first half.

Or to put it another way, Fud as a player, worse as a manager. 

• Haha 1

You must have been watching a different game to Robbie Nielson, he thinks Hearts had comfortably the best chances in the first half.

Seriously he must have been sniffing during the game to come up with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Yea he's clearly been sniffing the glue with that mashed beak of his. They had the offside where McGinley had it covered then the Lamie defensive masterclass. Absolute folly 

35 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

They had no decent chances the whole game Kelly never had a serious save to make,  we dominated them from the 1st whistle,  2-0 flattered them big time it should have been 5.

I’m agreeing with you. When the guy was through first half but couldn’t control it could have been a chance but wasn’t. When the guy had the ball in the box but Lamie stripped him, could have been a chance but wasn’t. Although Boyce did have a chance in second half but it it straight at Kelly. On the other hand Gordon had several great stops to deny us more goals. 

15 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m agreeing with you. When the guy was through first half but couldn’t control it could have been a chance but wasn’t. When the guy had the ball in the box but Lamie stripped him, could have been a chance but wasn’t. Although Boyce did have a chance in second half but it it straight at Kelly. On the other hand Gordon had several great stops to deny us more goals. 

Was not having a go  at you just commentting on how much we dominated the game :yes:

• Like 1

I was hoping we would have got rid of lamie over the summer but he's not half turned my opinion around,I've really taking to him this season,he's been brilliant anytime he's played.hes been left out a couple of times after a good performance but hasn't sulked and just got on with it.i would be happy to see him sign a new contract.

Best performance for a long time. Lamie and Mugabi were superb throughout. The high press really worked today. Hearts worked through it very well on a few occasions, but the back line were always there to snuff out any danger. I feel that a big difference today was that the strict three lines of 433 were broken by having Maguire drop between the midfield and back line at times. He was able to break things up as well as provide a link from the back line into midfield when we inevitably won the ball back.

An all round very good performance led by the pressing by the front line, industry throughout the team and a masterclass at the back from  Lamie.

More of the same please!

• Like 2

I have gone right off this forum recently. The negative comments aimed at many of our players and the management have been way over the top. I have supported the Well for over sixty years and will always give the club and whoever is in charge my backing. Today was one of the best performances in years. It gave me as much pleasure as the two recent semi final wins. Every player was up for it and there wasn't one failure. Disappointingly I am writing this on page five. The Rangers defeat got 13 pages. That says a lot about this forum. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, sinjy said:

I have gone right off this forum recently. The negative comments aimed at many of our players and the management have been way over the top. I have supported the Well for over sixty years and will always give the club and whoever is in charge my backing. Today was one of the best performances in years. It gave me as much pleasure as the two recent semi final wins. Every player was up for it and there wasn't one failure. Disappointingly I am writing this on page five. The Rangers defeat got 13 pages. That says a lot about this forum. 

Well said. 

3 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Also mugabi could end up in double figures for goals if he keeps rampaging up that right hand side of the park

Ha!

A few games back I was talking to someone at the game and I was saying that if you played Mugabi upfront as a striker he'd probably get you 10 goals a season at least.

Someone that size that's good in the air, I reckon I wouldn't be far wrong!