Dundee v Motherwell 27/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Desperately poor, but better in the 2nd half. Woolery is far more effective on the left hand side of midfield instead of a left sided forward; he is much better picking the ball up and running at the defence and meeting the full back at pace than picking the ball up in a standing position and trying to beat a man. Him and Carroll could be some pairing down the left.

Wouldn't be averse to a 4-4-2 on Tuesday night.

Dundee unlocking our defence by playing the ball forward aimlessly and often was a tactical masterclass.

Lamie was the least shite of the bunch, but we did conceed three easy goals, so that's not saying much. I didn't think Shields deserved to be hooked over anyone else, but the two subs looked dangerous for five mins.

Out inability/refusal to make tactical changes when things clearly aren't working is why we are going to be up and down like this. It was clear 5 minutes in that we were up against it.

Fair play to Slattery for playing chicken with the ref, he just kept on fouling away after that yellow. I now believe he will go the season without a red.

We have 2 key issues.

1) lack of consistency - which is true for many teams.  When we play with urgency and the high press we're pretty damn good but unable to play with this intensity every week.

2) abolsute zero control of any game - someone made the point about Charlie Adam pulling the strings - as he did at FP.  We don't have anyone pulling any strings .  Our lack of being able to hold the ball, pass to one another is an issue - even when we play well.

Not overly worried - it's going to be a season of highs and lows, but would we great to at least work on passing the ball 

31 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Game being run by a 35 year old Charlie Adam if you remember the game at Fir Park Dundee were the better team until he went off injured.  Can't understand why we didn't just put someone like McGuire on his coat tails all day

I'm no tactician but I assumed beforehand that Adam would be crucial to Dundee's game plan today.

Merry Christmas Dundee, from the players at Fir Park!

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

Bring back Scotlands no 1 full back, apparently we don't win when he's playing?????. 

guess what , sometimes we lose when hes no playing.

he should be back for tuesday but he was out of the team for being poor, now he has chance to get back in on merit

hopefully there's a left back somewhere to replace mcginley too

Just back. Truly woeful display. I thought the Airdrie performance was hard to beat for drudgery but that first half was truly woeful. Right from the first minute the body language from the players told you everything you needed to know. Not one of them wanted to play in the bitter north wind. Every player just going through the motions. Not one player gets a pass mark in that first half and I include Kelly who stopped a near certain 5 goals half time lead for Dundee instead of 2-0

2nd Half we brought on Van Veen and Roberts and the bollocking from the manager. lots of huffing and puffing. Van Veen off the post but inevitably Dundee score a well worked goal. Its schoolboy errors my son said all Dundee are doing is creating overlaps on the wings and firing balls into the box. We just couldn't deal with Schoolboy football.

I die inside any time Nathan McGinley gets the ball or goes anywhere near active play. He is eye bleedingly awful

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Just back. Truly woeful display. I thought the Airdrie performance was hard to beat for drudgery but that first half was truly woeful. Right from the first minute the body language from the players told you everything you needed to know. Not one of them wanted to play in the bitter north wind. Every player just going through the motions. Not one player gets a pass mark in that first half and I include Kelly who stopped a near certain 5 goals half time lead for Dundee instead of 2-0

2nd Half we brought on Van Veen and Roberts and the bollocking from the manager. lots of huffing and puffing. Van Veen off the post but inevitably Dundee score a well worked goal. Its schoolboy errors my son said all Dundee are doing is creating overlaps on the wings and firing balls into the box. We just couldn't deal with Schoolboy football.

I die inside any time Nathan McGinley gets the ball or goes anywhere near active play. He is eye bleedingly awful

I couldn't make it today but fair play to you and the rest of our fans that paid to endure that rubbish.i said earlier in the thread that you could tell after 10 minutes what to expect from us,there was no urgency,passing was woeful then we inevitably concede a poor goal and there was zero reaction afterwards.dundee imo are the worst team in the league and they didn't have to break sweat,that's how bad we were especially in the first half.i have to agree about mcginley he's absolutely woeful,with him and grimshaw in the same team were always going to be up against from the start.alexander seemed to be pretty pissed off after the game so hopefully we see a positive reaction on tuesday.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:43 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

Its hard to know how this one is gonna play out. I guess it all depends on what Motherwell turns up. That might depend on team selection given there will be players returning from injury and suspension. If I was GA, Id be tempted to go same again. I think the performance level v Hearts was arguably our best of the season, so nobody could have any complaints if he chose to do so. Challenge those players to go and repeat the performance and get the consistency we need if we are genuinely going to challenge for top 6.  If they cant, then  we can always freshen it up second half.

Missed the first 20 mins and my stream went down for most of the 2nd half, but saw enough to know it was our poor incarnation that turned up.

It absolutely baffles me how a team can look so great one week and an absolute shambles the next. Albeit before the good performance, there was plenty evidence of our frailty.

Even allowing for Goss dropping out for Grimshaw, the drop off in performance was ridiculous.

Its pointless even trying to comment on formation or tactics when the mental side of the game just wasnt there.

Alexander looked absolutely raging after the game, and rightly so.  Hopefully he can get some sort of reaction before Tuesday. But like he said in his post match, it shouldnt take a performance like that to get a reaction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Missed the first 20 mins and my stream went down for most of the 2nd half, but saw enough to know it was our poor incarnation that turned up.

It absolutely baffles me how a team can look so great one week and an absolute shambles the next. Albeit before the good performance, there was plenty evidence of our frailty.

Even allowing for Goss dropping out for Grimshaw, the drop off in performance was ridiculous.

Its pointless even trying to comment on formation or tactics when the mental side of the game just wasnt there.

Alexander looked absolutely raging after the game, and rightly so.  Hopefully he can get some sort of reaction before Tuesday. But like he said in his post match, it shouldnt take a performance like that to get a reaction.

Mentality, that’s it. As you say you can forget about everything else. They thought they could just turn up, stroll around, switch off, and still take the 3 points. Can’t remember seeing Alexander so angry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

My thoughts exactly. GA certainly did not seem too happy afterwards and highlighted the players "mindset" or mentality if you like. He was also right to highlight that its not the first time this has happened ie the Sevco hammering. Like many things in life, I'm sure there were other reasons for our wild drop off in form yesterday, but yes the players' mentality was a major factor.  I suspect he's now asking questions like has the club signed the right players? Its ok being talented but if your mindset is wrong......

I'd like to think that we'll bolster the midfield next month with not one (Tierney) but at least 2 new faces. Liam Donnelly is proving to be very injury prone; Robbie Crawford, Barry Maguire and Mark O'Hara are not setting the heather on fire. Liam Grimshaw is not a midfielder. That leaves young Dean Cornelius. Its wrong to pin too much responsibilty on his shoulders but he's due his chance.  

Anyway, I think GA has identified the problem.

49 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Mentality, that’s it. As you say you can forget about everything else. They thought they could just turn up, stroll around, switch off, and still take the 3 points. Can’t remember seeing Alexander so angry.

That I'm afraid has been something that MFC have done ever since I can remember. I don't know why it is, but as you say it's most definitely a mentality issue. How you get rid of that I have no idea.

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

That I'm afraid has been something that MFC have done ever since I can remember. I don't know why it is, but as you say it's most definitely a mentality issue. How you get rid of that I have no idea.

It's just the wee club mentality.

The players that have a good mentality usually go further in the game.  If we do have players like that they probably move on fairly quickly.

It's annoying for fans but you have to remember for professional footballers it's a job, not a fanatical obsession.  And I know I have days I can't be bothered in my job....

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's just the wee club mentality.

The players that have a good mentality usually go further in the game.  If we do have players like that they probably move on fairly quickly.

It's annoying for fans but you have to remember for professional footballers it's a job, not a fanatical obsession.  And I know I have days I can't be bothered in my job....

This is spot on . Better players are more consistent .

vs hearts many of our players played the best they can - this week many were below par.

they’re not hungry enough , coupled with 5-6 of them wouldn’t be first choice picks if everyone was fit and at their best 

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

To be fair we've looked shite in the vast majority of games we've played  but we have  been very effective and scoring the chances we get but apart from two games we've been pretty consistently cack. Decent performances are rare. 

On 11/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, FirParkCornerExile said:

To be fair we've looked shite in the vast majority of games we've played  but we have  been very effective and scoring the chances we get but apart from two games we've been pretty consistently cack. Decent performances are rare. 

Being consistently cack as you put it has us 3 points clear in 5th and 5 points clear of 7th, and any performance that wins us 3 points is a good one, so even allowing for the shite results we have had, Rangers, Dundee and 2 points thrown away to St Mirren  we are still in a good league position for this point in the season.