Dundee v Motherwell 27/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Its hard to know how this one is gonna play out. I guess it all depends on what Motherwell turns up. That might depend on team selection given there will be players returning from injury and suspension. If I was GA, Id be tempted to go same again. I think the performance level v Hearts was arguably our best of the season, so nobody could have any complaints if he chose to do so. Challenge those players to go and repeat the performance and get the consistency we need if we are genuinely going to challenge for top 6.  If they cant, then  we can always freshen it up second half.

• Like 1

Aye, would be harsh to drop anyone after last week so assuming there's no injuries you would go with the same side.

I think we're looking far more comfortable than we were when we played Dundee twice earlier in the season,  the players understand their jobs and have bought in to Alexander's shape based approach.

That being said the players we have are mostly at motherwell cos they don't play to their potential every week so it could go either way.

4 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Might be controversial but I'd have KVV in for Shields. Would be very surprised if Alexander does that though.

I’m pretty sure Shields will retain his place, there is indeed a good argument for the same starting 11 even though on paper it’s not the strongest team we could put out. I’ve no doubt we have a top 6 squad of players, certainly stronger than last seasons squad and probably as good as any over the last four or five seasons. It’s really down to Alexander to make the most of them and if we stay on the front foot we will do well. Revert back to allowing the opposition just about all the possession is not something I’m in favour of, we’re actually better than that and should go out full of confidence against just about anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

there is indeed a good argument for the same starting 11 even though on paper it’s not the strongest team we could put out.

That was the pleasant surprise from the Hearts game. I don't think anybody would have thought that was our best starting 11, but they managed to produce the best performance of the season.

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I would imagine GA will start the same 11 as last Saturday but word of warning , Hibs thought they were going to be league contenders after their display against Rangers, then came Ross County!! 
to be fair I think Hibs fixtures chaos will not help them

Yup. They are going to suffer like we did when we got to the League Cup Final.  Fixture carnage. Although I dont think they are going to have Celtic 3 times in 8 days!

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I would imagine GA will start the same 11 as last Saturday but word of warning , Hibs thought they were going to be league contenders after their display against Rangers, then came Ross County!! 
to be fair I think Hibs fixtures chaos will not help them

You can’t take any game lightly. You have to go into every game with the right attitude from the kick off. 

Important game for us. If the supposedly second string players who put in a performance against Hearts can reproduce that form, it would auger well for the rest of the season. They are considered squad players because they  have not been able to prove themselves consistent in the past ( or haven't been given the opportunity to do so). I hope the manager gives them the chance tomorrow. Another decent performance and result will go a long way to creating the competition for laces which is a key to success for aby successful team.

Oyr performances against Dundee in the fixtures earlier this season should be enough for us to not take them lightly.

1 hour ago, The African said:

Important game for us. If the supposedly second string players who put in a performance against Hearts can reproduce that form, it would auger well for the rest of the season. They are considered squad players because they  have not been able to prove themselves consistent in the past ( or haven't been given the opportunity to do so). I hope the manager gives them the chance tomorrow. Another decent performance and result will go a long way to creating the competition for laces which is a key to success for aby successful team.

Oyr performances against Dundee in the fixtures earlier this season should be enough for us to not take them lightly.

The more you typed the more you drank? :lol:

• Haha 1

Looking forward to the game, first time heading to Dens in many a year. It's a great headache for Alexander to have with all the forwards putting in a great shift last weekend and Van Veen having come off a double against Aberdeen, same defensively as Lamie seemed to drop out the team after playing well but certainly deserves to retain his place after his last showing, but that being said Ojala has been great.

Three points would be most welcome as it would be nice to have a 14 point cusion over them. When they visited Fir Park earlier in the season we seemed to just let Adam pull the strings and pick his man out but when he went off injured it benefitted us, it will be interesting to see if we stick to last weeks approach as that was a joy to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see the winner scored from a set piece in a tight game.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Storm Arwen likely to put the game in doubt? Winds of up to 90mph on the east coast...

The forecast around kick-off time is cloudy and cool with winds of 10 - 15mph. So as long as the Friday weather doesn't do too much damage to the pitch, it should be OK.

Dundee have a very poor home record....except they beat us in the League Cup there.

Dundee have the worst defence in the league though and have shipped 9 goals in their last two home matches against Celtic (4) and Ross County (5).

On current form you'd expect us to get something but we all know what supporting Motherwell is like!

20 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Dundee have a very poor home record....except they beat us in the League Cup there.

Dundee have the worst defence in the league though and have shipped 9 goals in their last two home matches against Celtic (4) and Ross County (5).

On current form you'd expect us to get something but we all know what supporting Motherwell is like!

You would also expect Dundee to have been working on fixing that issue.