Motherwell v Dundee United 30/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

16 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Brilliant goal to win the game

Not a pretty spectacle in terrible conditions 

A very tense second half

But at the end of the day a great win

Well done Motherwell

So Alexander is not under any pressure……

Very much like Hearts game for 65-70 minutes which by then the conditions were farcical. 

MOM was Woolery. His best game for Motherwell. He was excellent. Watt goal was a gem and his performance was his usual 8/10.

Also thought Mugabi was electric for the 1st 30 minutes. He was awesome. 

Just a very good night and a very good result. I thought after Rangers game we would get at most 5 points before we play Celtic. We have 9 with an outside chance at 12. Well done the players and the Manager.

Very good performance all round, especially taking the conditions into consideration. Kelly had little to do thanks to Sol and Lamie, Mugabi was outstanding, the middle three seem to work very well together. The work rate of Watt, KVV and Woolery is astonishing. We should have been out of sight by the time the red card was given and even when we were down to ten men United barely had a sniff. I thought the ref could have shown a bit more common sense in the conditions although I don't think we can complain too much about Maguire's two yellows. All in all a good night's work.

To get a result in those conditions is always pleasing and we seen a reaction after saturday,so it's been a good night's work for us.there was some stand out performance,watt was outstanding not just for his goal,his hold up play and work rate were just as good.goss looks like he's really finding his feet,he brings a bit of composure to the midfield that's been missing,that was woolerys best game for us by a mile,he was a constant threat and worked hard back the way too,if he can show that more often then he will be a real assett.the only downside was the injury to sondre,I would imagine if it's a hamstring he will miss a month or so,to be fair to the big man he was right onto the park at full-time to celebrate with his team mates,I love the passion he has brought since being here.ojala is a class act,hopefully he isn't far away and that would soften the blow of losing sondre.

33 minutes ago, Fairhill said:

I don't always put a lot into the statistical side, but to outshoot the opposition so badly and still have onlt 2 on goal is a bit worrisome. Fortunately they still got the points.

Did you see the conditions they were playing in.

What a wonderful evening under the lights. The conditions were truly awful to the point where the last 15 minutes were completely farcical. If the second half had started like that I doubt we'd have seen the end of the game. Thankfully we were able to see it out, relatively comfortably in the end all things considered.

Defensively we were absolutely solid tonight, and that started right from the front. KVV pressed along with Watt and Woolery very well, and Slattery & Goss were brave and stepped in to help when they could, despite leaving space behind them. It was very effective. The aim of our press is obviously to win the ball high up the park, but if we force the opposition to go long with it that's great too because we have three or four of the best centre halves in the league for winning headers. Lamie and Johansen genuinely won every fucking header from the word go. It was genuinely brilliant to watch. Mugabi has made that RB berth his own and he got forward so well tonight. Unfortunately McGinley struggled in the first half and is the weak link in the team for me so far. He doesn't get forward well and he lacks aggression defensively. I've said it time and time again but Carroll is surely due a run.

In midfield I thought we found a nice balance tonight with Maguire sitting and Slattery & Goss covering their side of the park well. Goss' set pieces are great and he is good on the ball too, but I thought he put in a hell of a shift tonight too, he never stopped all night. I'll need to see the second Maguire booking again but from where I was sitting it looked a clear booking. He took man, ball, corner flag and nearly the linesman in a hell of a tackle. Yes the conditions were bad but it was a clear 2nd yellow, will need to see it again. It's a shame for him as he was getting a run in the team and playing well. His contract is up at the end of the season and he could have done with continuing playing, I hope tonight doesn't cost him long term.

Up front our two wingers in Watt & Woolery were sublime, the latter's best game for us. He carried the ball exceptionally well and played a few great through balls to boot. He's fucking rapid and Utd couldn't handle him at times. Watt was Watt, just did what he does best, carries the ball so well, draws in the foul and is just so good overall. As for big KVV, he played well overall (one or two sublime passes) but he should have scored at least one tonight. Again I'd like to see the highlights but he's got to be more clinical.

O'Donnell wasn't great at all when he came on, although it wasn't exactly a nice game to come into with the conditions. His miss looked ghastly, I don't know how he hasn't scored.

A fantastic three points, pulls us away from the 7th and below places and has us hot on the heels of the teams above us. We could do with a favour from the Old Firm tomorrow evening before a huge game on Saturday.

I think we win that comfortably if the full 90 was the first 30 conditions. That 3 points keeps us right in the hunt for 3rd/Europe even with the two tough away games coming up.

Woolery motm, Watt incredible in the last 20 and Barry Maguire was putting in his best performance until the red card. 

Kris Boyd was talking on Sky about shooting a while ago and he said he used to aim at the middle of the goal because he would miss it. He might have been joking but KVV should give it a try. 

10 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

In midfield I thought we found a nice balance tonight with Maguire sitting and Slattery & Goss covering their side of the park well. 

It's without doubt our best midfield blend.

Shame Barry got sent off as it disrupts the same selection going out again when ever the suspension kicks in.

Same applies to Solheim's injury. Hopefully he's back soon but he looks a bit injury prone.

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not sure he'd fancy Aberdeen or Paisley.

Don’t see him going anywhere outside of Scotland so that leaves Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts, I’d say. Will any of them come after him? We should hopefully be working with him to extend his contract, he has proven his worth to us and now scoring goals too. Invest the extra money on him now 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:02 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

Game live on Sky.

Might save myself the diesel,  another night of eye bleeding football and cursing myself all the way down the road for being stupid enough for believing we cant be as bad 2 games in a row.

So we will probably win now!

Telt ye!

• Haha 1

O'Donnell was unlucky with the miss, he did well to sneak in at the back, but the ball just didn't bounce. He might get his place back if Sol and Ojala are still injured on Saturday, and I see O'Connor is out too. Otherwise Mugabi should keep his place out there.

It was a shame that Maguire got sent off, as he was starting to build up a run of games again, but it was a pointless challenge to get the yellow. Others have spent a lengthy period on the bench after a red, so Maguire may have to wait a while. It looks like it's going to take an injury or a suspension for Carroll to get back in, and McGinley is on 5 yellows, so that may not be far away.

Woolery looks to be growing in confidence, and tonight was definitely his best game. Like others, he's not going to be on it all the time, but he has the potential to be unplayable on his day.

Lamie is just plain solid now. Didn't miss a thing. Alexander has some record of improving the players he inherited.

Our pitch held up well considering, but it was getting dangerous near the end, and I was more worried about a ridiculous late abandonment than Utd scoring.

The Dundee match was a clever ruse to avoid winning manager of the month. Alexander is a clever guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s getting very difficult to see us holding on to Watt, another terrific performance. Terrible conditions but again an example of the quality within this squad if they have the right mindset, Mugabi has turned around my opinion of him, Woolery looked like a player deserving of that long contract. Very difficult game up next but you never know.

30 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s getting very difficult to see us holding on to Watt, another terrific performance. Terrible conditions but again an example of the quality within this squad if they have the right mindset, Mugabi has turned around my opinion of him, Woolery looked like a player deserving of that long contract. Very difficult game up next but you never know.

We never would be holding onto Tony Watt with the kind of displays he gives us. Even signing a new contract doesnt change that,  it merely ensures a better bargaining position for the club financially , the sad but truthful position for every SPFL club when they have a gem.

I think people are harsh on SOD when he came on, he wasn't great but he wasn't a bomb scare by any stretch.

Lamie and Mugabe in the middle of the back 4 for Saturday.

Grimshaw probably in for Maguire.

The Hearts game and the first 30 past night, if we can play like that  even for 60 minutes each week we'll have a good season.

As for Watt, you'd imagine a Championship side would take a punt on him.  28 years old, top scorer in the SPL, clearly has always had ability but has now screwed the nut and upped his workrate.

28 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I think people are harsh on SOD when he came on, he wasn't great but he wasn't a bomb scare by any stretch.

Lamie and Mugabe in the middle of the back 4 for Saturday.

Grimshaw probably in for Maguire.

The Hearts game and the first 30 past night, if we can play like that  even for 60 minutes each week we'll have a good season.

As for Watt, you'd imagine a Championship side would take a punt on him.  28 years old, top scorer in the SPL, clearly has always had ability but has now screwed the nut and upped his workrate.

I was just looking at Devante Cole's stats this season, he has completed a single 90 minutes, averaged 40 minutes across his ten appearances. Grass isn't always greener, especially for someone coming into their peak, saying that i am sure the wages down there are nice. Completely agree with you, I reckon someone will take a punt on him, I think what we have to our advantage though is how much he is enjoying his time here and his football. 

Basically what i'm saying is three year deal, one of the top earners. 

I would say we have a slightly better chance of watt signing a new deal than say someone like moult,just for the fact he's from the area and it's the best he's felt at any club he's been at.theres no doubt we will make him the best possible offer,if that will be enough time will tell.hes finally got his career on track and if he does leave i hope it's to have another go outside scotland,I would hate to see him end up at a hibs or aberdeen for nothing more than a extra few quid.