Motherwell v Dundee United 30/11/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Thoroughly enjoyed that last night. Really entertaining game of football despite the conditions at the end. Thought we were excellent, first half especially, and even played some nice football throught the midfield (I knew we could do it!) 

Mugabi was fantastic first half and Watts goal is a thing of beauty. Dare I say, Moultesque! He is without doubt the most important player in our team and we should be doing everything possible to keep him. Id be really disappointed if he were to leave now, as thats the 2nd time he has done the "Im staying" goal celebration in front of the East Stand. I understand that money talks, but he seems really happy at Fir Park and is sending out the right signals.

I thought Kelly and the back 4 were pretty solid all night and it wasnt until the sending off and the absolutely atrocious conditions at the end that we looked under any pressure at the back.

Goss had his best game so far and both he and Slattery showed that we actually have a couple of decent footballers in midfield.

Up top KVV played well, but I thought his decision making in front of goal 2nd half let him down a little. But the conditions were terrible so I can cut him some slack there.

Woolery was my MOTM though. Thats his best game for us and he finally displayed what Alexander gave as the reason for signing him. Absolutely unplayable and with an end product as well. Hopefully he can keep that up.

Armchair football is the way ahead!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

I was just looking at Devante Cole's stats this season, he has completed a single 90 minutes, averaged 40 minutes across his ten appearances. Grass isn't always greener, especially for someone coming into their peak, saying that i am sure the wages down there are nice. Completely agree with you, I reckon someone will take a punt on him, I think what we have to our advantage though is how much he is enjoying his time here and his football. 

Basically what i'm saying is three year deal, one of the top earners. 

Hard to argue against him being top earner. Player of the year so far this year, fans player of the year last year and top scorer. Would love to have him here for three years.

Though you imagine he'd treble his wages going down south.

Going to Easter Road 18 months ago with Mugabi and Lamie at centre half would have riddled me with fear, but I’m very confident with those two at the back for the weekend. A brilliant turnaround in form from both players to the point where they are preferred to newer signings. Credit to Alexander for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Going to Easter Road 18 months ago with Mugabi and Lamie at centre half would have riddled me with fear, but I’m very confident with those two at the back for the weekend. A brilliant turnaround in form from both players to the point where they are preferred to newer signings. Credit to Alexander for that.

You wonder if having the competition from Sol and Ojala has helped them to realise they need to be at a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance every week or they will not be playing. 

Clearly does not matter with Sol and Ojala being injured.  Hopefully Sol will be a lesser injury and he will be back shortly. 

But definitely something in having a stronger squad to push each and every player. 

Credit to The Management team.  Listening to BBC Sportsound the other night and they mentioned only Brown and Ramirez get pass marks of the new Aberdeen signings.  All our new signings (bar Parker who we are yet to see) are starting to show why they were brought to the club. Who would have thought after 1st couple of appearances that Goss would be a 1st pick for me in midfield.  

Lets go to Easter Rd and get a positive result.  Keep the momentum going at least until Celtic away  :-(

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Who would have thought after 1st couple of appearances that Goss would be a 1st pick for me in midfield.

Although I should know better by now, I'm more surprised when people judge a new player (or write them off completely) after a couple of appearances. It's not like it's a secret that new players take time to get up to speed in a new team with new training methods, new team mates and new tactics.

4 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Hard to argue against him being top earner. Player of the year so far this year, fans player of the year last year and top scorer. Would love to have him here for three years.

Though you imagine he'd treble his wages going down south.

Tony Watt currently top scorer in the premiership after his goal last night, we need to get him tied down on a long term contract ASAP, his all round play and work rate was brilliant last night what a shift he put in.

19 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Was watt's celebration a hint that he is staying? Looked like it from the replay of the goal, couldn't see in the ground.

Nah. I said this elsewhere but I don't trust fitba players with that sort of stuff.
Tony is loving it and getting the best out of himself here but he's a payday in him and he would love another 2/3 year contact at XX grand a week

On 12/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, SteelmaninOZ said:

I thought he played really well when he was called into action pre-season. Hopefully he is around for a few years as I have a funny feeling he will be a top player for us. Just a gut feeling. Hopefully a speedy recovery from whatever injury he picked up.

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just watched Celtic pumping untd was 3-0 but in reality should have been at least 6, which would have moved us up to 4th

It would only have been brief anyway, until they pumped us by 6 or 7 next weekend. I can't see them being so profligate two weeks running, especially against whatever our fourth choice defence turns out to be,

1 hour ago, Electric Blues said:

It would only have been brief anyway, until they pumped us by 6 or 7 next weekend. I can't see them being so profligate two weeks running, especially against whatever our fourth choice defence turns out to be,

Hopefully, after the celtic game we can strengthen our position by the end of the second round of fixtures. Of course our result against Dundee is a stark reminder that no games are easy. Would be nice to start doing that against Celtic but just don’t see it, especially with our injury list. I’m still hoping though