Hibernian v Motherwell 4/12/21

SteelmaninOZ

13 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Dougie was a legend for obvious cup winning reasons, but I don't think he'd make it into the top 5 strikers I've enjoyed watching at Fir Park.

He is definitely top 5 since I started going to games....

1. Pettigrew

2. Coyne

3. Arnott

4. Higdon

5.  Moult

Only others I would consider worthy of consideration are Bobby Graham and McFadden, but they werent really out and out strikers.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He is definitely top 5 since I started going to games....

1. Pettigrew

2. Coyne

3. Arnott

4. Higdon

5.  Moult

Only others I would consider worthy of consideration are Bobby Graham and McFadden, but they werent really out and out strikers.....

I'd have Bobby Graham in there ahead of Arnott. Class act that is too often overlooked thanks to Wullie P.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

Dougie was a legend for obvious cup winning reasons, but I don't think he'd make it into the top 5 strikers I've enjoyed watching at Fir Park.

Dougle wasn't the best striker but I loved his effort.  He gave 100% ever game and knew how to ruffle up the feathers of the opposition 

I'm with FPExcile  - Watt is someone who I warm to for his effort and how much he cares about the club.  Falls into the same category as Kirk, Lasley, Hammell, Uncle Phil, Faddy, Craigan , Sieb  etc for the type of player I warm to.

Not many players get called by their first name - that speaks volumes for how we feel about him 

As for Tony Watt, we are good for Watt and Watt is good for us - really hope we give him a decent re-signing on fee and keep him at FP.   

Apparently no one likes Scott McDonald.

Would be in my Motherwell XI with Tommy Coyne.

Dougie was great though.  A wee guy in an era when defenders could assault you, he took his bumps and was injured a lot, but he was a player.

Only problem was he could only score against the Old Firm.  Off the top of my head something like 25 of his 60 ish goals for Motherwell were against Rangers and Celtic. Wish we had that problem now!

His utter destruction of European Cup winning Basile Boli is one of my all time favourite memories.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I'm certainly not dissing Dougie - and he will always be a cup winning legend who I enjoyed watching. He's just not in my elite top tier of players I've seen play in the past 50+ (fifty? - I'm getting old!) years at Fir Park.

Who are your top 5 then Weeyin? Genuinely interested. You may pick someone Ive overlooked, like Skippy, who, on his first time round,  is certainly worthy of consideration.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I'm certainly not dissing Dougie - and he will always be a cup winning legend who I enjoyed watching. He's just not in my elite top tier of players I've seen play in the past 50+ (fifty? - I'm getting old!) years at Fir Park.

I can say 60+ years and although, I cant believe it, my first striking hero was Dixie Deans, my list would read:

1. Willie Pettigrew
  2. Willie Pettigrew
  3. Willie Pettigrew
  4. Willie Pettigrew
  5. Willie Pettigrew
  • Haha 1

Showing my age but my boyish memories of Joe Mc Bride have him down as the perfect centre forward. Strong as a bull and a predator in the box whether with the feet or head.

So good was he that Jock Stein signed him on the strength of '65 semi final. Then in 66/67 season he scored a barrowload in the first half of season before a bad injury  saw him replaced by Wallace.

11 minutes ago, livivoice said:

Showing my age but my boyish memories of Joe Mc Bride have him down as the perfect centre forward. Strong as a bull and a predator in the box whether with the feet or head.

So good was he that Jock Stein signed him on the strength of '65 semi final. Then in 66/67 season he scored a barrowload in the first half of season before a bad injury  saw him replaced by Wallace.

Joe was in the first team and Dixie was in the reserves if I remember correctly. 

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Who are your top 5 then Weeyin? Genuinely interested. You may pick someone Ive overlooked, like Skippy, who, on his first time round,  is certainly worthy of consideration.

Top 3 are easy for me:

1. Wullie Pettigrew

2. Bobby Graham

3. Tommy Coyne

Then

4. Higdon (albeit just for his record breaking season)

Number 5 is where it gets even harder. Was a big fan of Porter, but I'd go for McLair. Finding his feet in his first season and 16 goals for 37 games in his second season - not to mention his goals defeating the OF in consecutive games at Fir Park. More importantly, though, was you could see he was going to be a player.

Although I wouldn't argue if swapped 4 and 5. (In fact I think I would swap them).