Hibernian v Motherwell 4/12/21

SteelmaninOZ

Pettigrew was my 1st proper Well Idol so he would make my top 5.

I like a few on here adored Doogie Arnott. He is probably my all time favourite player to this very day.

My top 5 would be:

1. Dougie Arnott

2. Willie Pettigrew

3. Louis Moult

4. Tommy Coyne

5. Michael Higdon. 

Subs: McFadden, Sutton, Watt, Skippy.

If Tony can score his way and our way to Europe he could displace Higdon in the top 5.

15 hours ago, weeyin said:

Top 3 are easy for me:

1. Wullie Pettigrew

2. Bobby Graham

3. Tommy Coyne

Then

4. Higdon (albeit just for his record breaking season)

Number 5 is where it gets even harder. Was a big fan of Porter, but I'd go for McLair. Finding his feet in his first season and 16 goals for 37 games in his second season - not to mention his goals defeating the OF in consecutive games at Fir Park. More importantly, though, was you could see he was going to be a player.

Although I wouldn't argue if swapped 4 and 5. (In fact I think I would swap them).

I hadnt considered McLair.  Not sure why. Probably because his time was brief. No doubting his quality.  Just didnt have the same impact on my memory as the others.

16 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Interesting that no one has mentioned our post war highest goal scorer John Sutton.

Not a great or exciting player, but he put in a shift and scored a load of goals for us.

He wouldn't be in my top 5 but thought someone would mention him.

While he clearly had a great scoring record, watching him made my eyes bleed

23 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm certainly not dissing Dougie - and he will always be a cup winning legend who I enjoyed watching. He's just not in my elite top tier of players I've seen play in the past 50+ (fifty? - I'm getting old!) years at Fir Park.

Obviously we've quite a few better goal scorers than Arnott but the thing about him is you could probably play him up front with just about anyone you liked and you'd have a great partnership.

My Top 5 would be

Tommy Coyne

Scott McDonald

Louis Moult

Dougie Arnott

Michael Higdon

Owen Coyle was a good striker but he wasn't with us for that long and in the event of a tiebreaker playing for Airdrie takes you out of contention! 

Tommy Coyne was and still is the best forward player I’ve seen at Fir Park. A real class player who did so much more than simply score goals.

For pure entertainment value McFadden in his first spell has to be up there. Even in that dismal 02/03 season whenever he got the ball you just felt that excitement around the place that he could produce something special and he very often did.

5 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Tommy Coyne was and still is the best forward player I’ve seen at Fir Park. A real class player who did so much more than simply score goals.

Coyne and Coyle were the strongest partnership I can remember in the last 40 years.  Coyne was a class act . Well over 100 games and scored something like 1 in every 2 games. 

We were lucky to have someone of his calibre.

24 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

3rd and 4th spots are really up for grabs to any team that can string together a decent run of results. No outstanding teams really,  so every game can go either way on the day. 

And whatever happens against Celtic on Sunday, we'll still end the day in at least 5th place.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

And whatever happens against Celtic on Sunday, we'll still end the day in at least 5th place.

I know it’s good to look at that view, but after the Celtic game we are playing most of the teams below us including the possible relegation side/s but there will certainly not be an easy game for us, as we found out against Dundee! Forthe first time in years I don’t really know which team will be involved in the relegation at the end of the season, after seeing all the sides there are no obvious candidates as  although Ross County are bottom I still think they are not a bad side and we will do well to come away from Dingwall on the 29th with any kind of result, mind you Hibs supporters will be very concerned about their teams form.

On 12/6/2021 at 5:14 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Go then...Tap 5?

Coyne
McDonald
Higdon
Moult
McFadden

Probably Arnott next.
I loved Porter too. 

I get your point about Sutton. He did look like he was running in concrete boots but I loved Sutton. Great goal scorer.  Pretty sure he was a bit antivaxxer recently though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

he scored 59 goals in 240 games an average of one goal every 4 games , thats a good return over a long  period. Sure others will be better but not over that number of games  in the last 30 years 

In my time which is from about 1982-ish the only players to outscore Arnott were Kirk, Sutton and McDonald.

There is a wee bit controversy about Arnott's actual league goal tally because some sources give him a goal away to Hibs and other sources credit it as an OG. So it's either 58 or 59 depending on who you believe, can't remember what the 'official' one is. 

Coyne scored 57 but in  a lot less games.

23 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

A sidenote but I think that’s absolutely despicable to sack him a week before a cup final. Football is nuts these days when it comes to sackings.

That's the kind of thing that happens at a club with a single, US based owner - instead of the fan ownership model Leann Dempster was hired to put in place.

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In my time which is from about 1982-ish the only players to outscore Arnott were Kirk, Sutton and McDonald.

There is a wee bit controversy about Arnott's actual league goal tally because some sources give him a goal away to Hibs and other sources credit it as an OG. So it's either 58 or 59 depending on who you believe, can't remember what the 'official' one is. 

Coyne scored 57 but in  a lot less games.

I can see the argument for the names you mention particularly Sutton and Coyne but Stevie Kirk took 61 more games to score 4 more goals.  However Im sticking with wee Dougie , as I said way earlier everyone will have their own favourites and reasons why.  

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

A sidenote but I think that’s absolutely despicable to sack him a week before a cup final. Football is nuts these days when it comes to sackings.

I hope they get absolutely scudded now.

a small run of poor games, a cup final and mid table with a game in hand - on the face of it very harsh. 

I've always thought he came across well and made very decent signings  - like you say hope the get scudded. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

a small run of poor games, a cup final and mid table with a game in hand - on the face of it very harsh. 

I've always thought he came across well and made very decent signings  - like you say hope the get scudded. 

I was shocked when I seen it. Cup final, decent position to challenge for European place. Sure they have struggled of late but hardly in dire straits. I think they have suffered much worse over the years. Good luck to Jack Ross hope Hibs plummet down the table now.