Celtic v Motherwell 12/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Celtic are a very good team going forward, but their defence can be got at. It would be a mistake to sit in and let them have the ball and try and hit them on the counter. Hopefully that is a lesson we have learned from the game at Fir Park where we were way too passive and barely laid a glove on them. The last few weeks (Dundee game aside) have been encouraging, as we have been pressing up the park much more effectively and not just gifting teams possession. We will need to do that well on Saturday to get anything from the game. Id be delighted with a point, but realistically, as long as we dont put in another gutless peformance and stick to whats been succesful recently, I will be happy.

Livi should be our blueprint. Park the bus. Exactly what we did at Ibrox and if we are patient we'll get chances and they will get frustrated if they don't score early. 

It's madness to go and press against a team that has 70-80% possession in home games. They scored on the break against us at Fir Park and having watched them a fair few times this season they punish teams who keep a high line and don't track runners. 

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Livi should be our blueprint. Park the bus. Exactly what we did at Ibrox and if we are patient we'll get chances and they will get frustrated if they don't score early. 

It's madness to go and press against a team that has 70-80% possession in home games. They scored on the break against us at Fir Park and having watched them a fair few times this season they punish teams who keep a high line and don't track runners. 

We tried that against Rangers and they took 6 off us. Dundee United tried it against Celtic and it was some kind of miracle it only finished 3. We should have a go at them, they are dodgy at the back and they don't like it up them

1 hour ago, Big Stall said:

We tried that against Rangers and they took 6 off us. Dundee United tried it against Celtic and it was some kind of miracle it only finished 3. We should have a go at them, they are dodgy at the back and they don't like it up them

We also got a point at Ibrox. Celtic scored on the break and a screamer to kill the game. 

Rangers at Fir Park we didn't bother to defend out wide and paid the price. 

Parking the bus would be suicidal - especially give our issues with defensive injuries.

Pressing high from the start, like we have done in our recent victories, is the best way to defend because as soon as you give their players space to play they will hurt you.

Surprised if we pick up any points from this, but I think we'll make a game of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

I agree with the above. We cannot sit off Ceptic or they will beat us. We have to press. The main thing I want to see is total commitment, give me 100% effort, and I'll take that, whatever the result.

It’s also what Celtic team turns up Turnbull seems hot and cold the past few games and as for the Wizard of Oz he seems to be playing his best football lately for Celtic.

Having said that I think we have players just as good. I would be over the moon if we beat them even a draw But I do not have the fear as our resident knicker wetter seems to have every game we play.

Probably get pelters for it but I’ll be happy with a narrow defeat if we can win our next 4 games after that. Being realistic I don’t see us getting anything so hopefully not too much damage to goal difference. I’d rather give up points to celtic than other teams are more likely to be competing against us. Still hoping for a win or a draw but not really expecting it. 

• Like 1

Hopefully we will have a couple of fit centre half for this.i don't see us getting anything but if we can do ourselves justice and not do any damage to our confidence,I'll be happy enough to settle for that as there's definitely points up for grabs in our next four games after this 

Dundee United showed yesterday what happens when you sit off Celtic and let them play. Doesnt matter how many players you have behind the ball if you dont press them. They have the players to create space and open you up. Must put pressure on the ball and make it difficult for them to display their quality. That might not be enough, but we need to try and effect the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Dundee United showed yesterday what happens when you sit off Celtic and let them play. Doesnt matter how many players you have behind the ball if you dont press them. They have the players to create space and open you up. Must put pressure on the ball and make it difficult for them to display their quality. That might not be enough, but we need to try and effect the game.

If we line up 4-3-3 against Celtic we are asking for trouble as we don't have the quality in midfield to cope. Celtic like to play it wide to get in behind defences Jota being out is a bonus, but they have pace with guys like Rogic, forest, Johnstone .

We need to go 3-5-2 for me I would start with O'Donnell and Caroll  right and left wing backs to hopefully stop celtic getting in behind us,  but given GA's apparent dislike of playing 352 I can't see it happening. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

We never turn up against the old firm,   roll on  the 18th

Sadly this. As a club we are scared of them both and this is something that has increased over the past twenty years and intensified since around 2010/2011. Far too often there seems to be this feeling around the club that we should just write these games off and if we escape with anything less than a three goal loss then it’s seen as some kind of moral victory.

I honestly don’t believe we will see us beat either of them again for a long, long time, if ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's certainly a feeling among the fans that we should write them off - and that's based on bitter recent experience.

I don't think guys like GA are writing them off, however. If you look at the OF record each year, though, they don't lose many at home.