Celtic v Motherwell 12/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

7 minutes ago, weeyin said:

There's certainly a feeling among the fans that we should write them off - and that's based on bitter recent experience.

I don't think guys like GA are writing them off, however. If you look at the OF record each year, though, they don't lose many at home.

Yes but the problem is that that mindset seeps from the stands into the club itself and thus many players and managers buy into it too.

It is no coincidence, in my opinion, that our record against the Old Firm has gone downhill in the last two decades at the same time as the “punching above our weight” nonsense started coming out, in both forums like these and from figures closely linked to and who are now heavily involved with the running of the club. If you’ve got managers/players coming into the club then some of them are naturally going to pick up on such a mindset and I believe that’s why the likes of McGhee and McCall to name but two, saw us as this little tinpot outfit and had no problem with publicly disrespecting us, in McGhee’s case, and our capacity to bottle it in every ‘big’ game we played under McCall despite having a very good squad at the time. 

I don’t for one minute expect us to compete with either of them over the course of a season, but at the same time it is hugely frustrating seeing us frequently lose heavily to both of them, which is becoming more and more a regular occurrence.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Sadly this. As a club we are scared of them both and this is something that has increased over the past twenty years and intensified since around 2010/2011. Far too often there seems to be this feeling around the club that we should just write these games off and if we escape with anything less than a three goal loss then it’s seen as some kind of moral victory.

I honestly don’t believe we will see us beat either of them again for a long, long time, if ever.

It's feck all to do with being scared of them, the simple fact is they are both far better teams than us, we are not unique in having poor records against them every other team in the league has the same issues. Yes they lose games but not very often and even then it's more them having a bad day and the opponents getting a bit of luck to get a win or a point.

Games against the uglies are a free hit, anything you get is a bonus, it's the results against the other 9 teams that count, 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I dug this out and our record against Celtic over the past 10 years is better than most teams.

From my quick check we have 3 wins and 5 draws since season 11/12  Aberdeen have 4 wins and 4 draws. 4 wins and 7 draws for St Johnstone. St Mirren have 1 win and 2 draws.

It's not any different from the rest of the league really.  I got bored looking after 4 teams but if someone wants to look at it properly then batter in.

Celtic are far from invincible so why should we be defeatist about this or any OF match. With an aggressive game plan and positivity we are capable of generating the intensity to knock them out of their stride. We will never do that sitting off them or parking the bus. As long as we do not throw caution to the winds but remain combative and willing to fight for every ball then we can score against them, I’m sure. So I’m up for a 2-0 win to the mighty Well.

• Like 1

I think there is a danger of clubs at our level not taking fixtures against the old firm seriously. We know they have a huge financial advantage, consequently can afford better players and therefore are better teams than us. Just take your medicine and move on to the fixtures that we are capable of getting something out of and which will define our season. As such, it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy that you have no chance against the big boys. Pragmatically it does make sense. Why risk guys who might not be fully fit in a virtually meaningless fixture? Fortunately, football is not only a pragmatic entity. They have no respect and a complete disregard for us, so I am all for making life as difficult for them as is possible. Let's make them work for their win bonuses. Set ourselves up to be hard to break down. Fight for everything, and see if they are really up for a scrap. Knock them off their stride and we do have players with pace who can trouble them on the break. As Lance Corperal Jones used to say " They don't like it up 'em!".

Chances are we will still get studded, but I can accept that, just about, if I see a gameplan that has merit and a team giving their all for the cause.

9 hours ago, The African said:

I think there is a danger of clubs at our level not taking fixtures against the old firm seriously. We know they have a huge financial advantage, consequently can afford better players and therefore are better teams than us. Just take your medicine and move on to the fixtures that we are capable of getting something out of and which will define our season. As such, it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy that you have no chance against the big boys. Pragmatically it does make sense. Why risk guys who might not be fully fit in a virtually meaningless fixture? Fortunately, football is not only a pragmatic entity. They have no respect and a complete disregard for us, so I am all for making life as difficult for them as is possible. Let's make them work for their win bonuses. Set ourselves up to be hard to break down. Fight for everything, and see if they are really up for a scrap. Knock them off their stride and we do have players with pace who can trouble them on the break. As Lance Corperal Jones used to say " They don't like it up 'em!".

Chances are we will still get studded, but I can accept that, just about, if I see a gameplan that has merit and a team giving their all for the cause.

Agree with you on that Captain Manering, but we’re no doomed yet  :clapping: coyw

On 12/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, Spiderpig said:

It's feck all to do with being scared of them, the simple fact is they are both far better teams than us, we are not unique in having poor records against them every other team in the league has the same issues. Yes they lose games but not very often and even then it's more them having a bad day and the opponents getting a bit of luck to get a win or a point.

Games against the uglies are a free hit, anything you get is a bonus, it's the results against the other 9 teams that count, 

"anything you get is a bonus, it's the results against the other 9 teams that count" 

most telling line ,  beat before we start. its OK to get beat cos we don't expect anything , prepare the groundwork for nothing and get nothing 

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

"anything you get is a bonus, it's the results against the other 9 teams that count" 

most telling line ,  beat before we start. its OK to get beat cos we don't expect anything , prepare the groundwork for nothing and get nothing 

As much as you don't like it it's true, there are only ever going to be 2 teams winning the premiership in Scotland ie the uglies, the 2 best teams in the country by a long way, not a healthy situation but it's the truth.

Neither of them lose games very often and very rarely if ever do they lose more than once a season to a team unless its against the other ugly.

So yes anything the other 10 teams get from either of them is a bonus, GA can prepare the team all he likes, great mental attitude etc but the truth is they are a much better team, a positive attitude is great but if you don't have the ability to back it up most of the time you lose.

5 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Did Alexander say that this week? Really disappointing if true.

We all know it but he really doesn’t need to say it…

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Did Alexander say that this week? Really disappointing if true.

Nah.  GA is quite refreshing in that regard, only ever talking about how he is always looking to win every game.

It cost us in the last Rangers game when he decided to chase it, but I'd much rather see than just shutting up shop.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Great results today. Makes tomorrow’s inevitable scudding somewhat more bearable.

Four very winnable games after tomorrow.

I’d say all our games bar the uglies are very winnable but unfortunately also very losable. We don’t go on too many long runs of victories but agree with what you are saying. Knowing how we have performed in some games if we can repeat our fine form we could string 4 wins together against the lower teams but it comes down to consistency and maybe some good luck on injures and suspensions. Here’s hoping. COYW

Not expecting anything from this one.

But its a free hit. 

Our recent playing style should suit the fixture and the opposition.

Hopefully our injuries are not as bad as forecast and a couple of our centre halves make the starting 11.

Fingers crossed we can cut out any stupid mistakes and maybe sneak a goal to sew doubt in the minds of the opposition.