Celtic v Motherwell 12/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

On 12/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, MJC_mkII said:

Sadly this. As a club we are scared of them both and this is something that has increased over the past twenty years and intensified since around 2010/2011. Far too often there seems to be this feeling around the club that we should just write these games off and if we escape with anything less than a three goal loss then it’s seen as some kind of moral victory.

I honestly don’t believe we will see us beat either of them again for a long, long time, if ever.

It's not about being scared, and more about the sheer gulf in finances, which leads to a severe gulf in quality. The increase you mention over the past twenty years coincides with both old firm sides, but mainly Celtic in recent years increasing the chasm between themselves and the other clubs financially.

I'm sure there was a report or two in the media that highlighted that the gap between Celtic and most other premier league clubs is larger than the gap between Celtic and PSG. That should give us a little perspective.

Funnily enough, when Celtic themselves have to play against a side such as PSG where the financial and quality gap is reversed they've been beaten by scores of 4-0, 7-1, and 5-0 in recent games. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:28 PM, MJC_mkII said:

Yes but the problem is that that mindset seeps from the stands into the club itself and thus many players and managers buy into it too.

It is no coincidence, in my opinion, that our record against the Old Firm has gone downhill in the last two decades at the same time as the “punching above our weight” nonsense started coming out, in both forums like these and from figures closely linked to and who are now heavily involved with the running of the club. If you’ve got managers/players coming into the club then some of them are naturally going to pick up on such a mindset and I believe that’s why the likes of McGhee and McCall to name but two, saw us as this little tinpot outfit and had no problem with publicly disrespecting us, in McGhee’s case, and our capacity to bottle it in every ‘big’ game we played under McCall despite having a very good squad at the time. 

I don’t for one minute expect us to compete with either of them over the course of a season, but at the same time it is hugely frustrating seeing us frequently lose heavily to both of them, which is becoming more and more a regular occurrence.

Finance is huge though and the gulf is only getting bigger. Look at our defence today and then their  strength in midfield and attack. Outside of O’Donnell we’re looking at lower and none league players from down south. We can claim it’s about the attitude and mentality all we like but that back line does not possess a huge amount of quality in it.

4 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

Need to be at least 3 yards before you'd get that type of decision at Parkhead. 

If they give those, Kelly would be conceding about 50% of his kicks from hand when he strays out his box.

Glad to see we're not parking the bus.