Celtic v Motherwell 12/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, David said:

Well, not quite the 5-0 pumping that some had it marked down as. We played well I think and deserved something from the game.

Bring on St Johnstone.

1-0, 5-0, same result. No points I’m afraid.

We played okay in the first half against a well under par Celtic side but if you want to take anything from games like this then you need to make it count and we weren’t able to do so. I felt we were unlucky with some of our efforts in the first 45 and but for the bar and a great save would have been ahead. The goal we conceded was poor from our part. Slattery was naive in the extreme to give that away in that area and we left no one marking Rogic as we clearly expected Turnbull to either curl it in or shoot for goal. The second half was a bit of a non event and we never looked like doing anything whilst Celtic were mostly on autopilot.

So not a hammering but still a loss nonetheless.

58 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

1-0, 5-0, same result. No points I’m afraid.

In terms of points gained there is no difference between those two scorelines but in terms of morale, confidence, frustration within the support and overall embarrassment for the club there's a huge difference.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

In terms of points gained there is no difference between those two scorelines but in terms of morale, confidence, frustration within the support and overall embarrassment for the club there's a huge difference.

Yes I can’t argue with that, or most of it at least, except I feel pretty frustrated that we didn’t take advantage during our better spell in the first half and offered little to nothing in the second. As much as I hate the term ‘there for the taking’ in regards to games against either of the Old Firm, facing a Celtic side minus their two best players, just off the back of a European match on Thursday night and clearly not at their strongest today, then it’s annoying that we barely laid a glove on them especially in the second half.

19 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Great effort but the belief still wasn't there 

To be fair I think there was a degree of belief in the second part of the first period but when we concede at the time we did and in the manner we did then that shattered us and there was no way back for us after that. It was literally the worst possible time for us to fall behind.

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

We played okay in the first half against a well under par Celtic side but if you want to take anything from games like this then you need to make it count and we weren’t able to do so.

Thats it in a nutshell for me. Fortunately no red cards or stretcher cases. Given our injury list, I'd have bitten your hand off for a 1-0 reverse at 3pm. 

Given his record, I can't really criticise GA but given Van Veen's temperament and the need for a tireless runner up front I'd have been tempted to start with Shields up front today but thats academic.  Hopefully our team selection was influenced by upcoming games and not today's fixture.  

If there is a good way to lose a game thats about as close as it gets.

Plenty of endeavour, good shape and discipline, defended well in the circumstances and created a good few chances, albeit mostly in the first half.

Disappointing we couldnt take one of those and the manner in which we lost the goal was frustrating. We should have been more alert to what they were doing.

All that said, we maintain our league position, morale will remain high and if we go into the next 4 games with the same belief and attitude we should be picking up a fair few more points.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Poor goal to concede but never a free kick and never a booking.   However another cheap booking for KVV, a man who seems to escape criticism most of the time. Ability defo there but end product not ad good as made out 

I think KVV is more of a target man. A game like today for chasing and harassing i would have played Shields. Not sure what the heck he was doing when he got booked. I’ll be looking for a few goals from KVV and Watt over the next few games. 

• Like 1

I liked our approach, and it almost paid off with the chances we had in the first half. I thought we regrouped well when they countered, and limited them to few real chances. The free kick did look soft, and it was never a booking.

Half of Van Veen's bookings have been totally needless. If we are being told to be "robust" we need to limit the bookings for stupid stuff.

No one really had a bad game, and Carrol was fine as a makeshift CB. I was worried about him being his usual rash self, but he was pretty solid. Maguire worked hard and made some good interceptions, but he needs to learn not to be so wasteful on the ball.

It was good to see Donnelly back, which is timely since Slattery must be due a suspension.

I don't think Celtic were particularly bad, rather we did a good job of making them look that way and playing to our strengths. Hopefully we can keep those levels for the upcoming games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I think KVV is more of a target man. A game like today for chasing and harassing i would have played Shields. Not sure what the heck he was doing when he got booked. I’ll be looking for a few goals from KVV and Watt over the next few games. 

I've not been convinced of Van Veen I have to say.  Undoubtedly he has loads of talent and can produce something special but he doesn't do that very often and is a bit temperamental and rash. Is that down to the way we play him or is it just his style?