Celtic v Motherwell 12/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

44 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I've not been convinced of Van Veen I have to say.  Undoubtedly he has loads of talent and can produce something special but he doesn't do that very often and is a bit temperamental and rash. Is that down to the way we play him or is it just his style?

Think he's a classic case of "if he could do it every week, he wouldn't be playing for us" (or Scunthorpe, or Northampton). Sometimes those kind of signings work out, sometimes they don't.  For now I'm happy to keep playing him and see what happens.

Was at the game and whilst we were good 1st half the 2nd half was different and no doubt the goal with last kick of half would have dented their confidence a bit.  The only criticism I had of yesterday was we didnt thow on another striker i.e go 424 last 5 mins and just hammer balls up the park. We put on shields and roberts and shields had 2 attempts 1 header over bar and another where vickers sort of blocked his shot. So another striker in about there might have made difference, who knows. What I am liking right enough is slowly but surely Alexander I feel is trying to change mindset about going to places like yesterday and not feel inferior. The 1st half was best we have done against either of them for a few games and I just hope we can take it further.

I know I am biased but every week there seems to be huge decisions that always go for them and yesterday was no different. The pressure the 2 glasgow teams fans put on referees via social media must have an influence as refs are only human and must read some of it.  The ones that are deemed to favour 1 side of glasgow give some absolute belters of decisions in the favour of their supposed rivals so as trying not to look biased and maddens decision of stopping play other week for jotas hamstring against hearts was unbelievable and today I am reading all the celtic fans say yesterdays ref was a h*n. Its laughable.

1. Hart was he outside or not? well woolery was on line and he had to jump over him to punch it .  possible red card if deemed to be stopping a goal scoring opportunity.

2. Foul for the freekick ? Slattery wasnt moving and looked like he was protecting ball.

3 Watt penalty. Ref is looking right at it from 5 yards away and vickers holds his leg up not lettig him pass. not only stick on penalty but vickers maybe sent off as no attempt to play ball?

If any of this happened to them or their pals from other side of city it would be talked about for weeks but our media let it roll and its starting to really get to me now.

Anyway after all that 3rd place is definitely there for the taking this year and I just hope next 4 games we really put a marker down before the break.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

1-0, 5-0, same result. No points I’m afraid.

We played okay in the first half against a well under par Celtic side but if you want to take anything from games like this then you need to make it count and we weren’t able to do so. I felt we were unlucky with some of our efforts in the first 45 and but for the bar and a great save would have been ahead. The goal we conceded was poor from our part. Slattery was naive in the extreme to give that away in that area and we left no one marking Rogic as we clearly expected Turnbull to either curl it in or shoot for goal. The second half was a bit of a non event and we never looked like doing anything whilst Celtic were mostly on autopilot.

So not a hammering but still a loss nonetheless.

slattery cant win with that one , if he doesnt challenge, he'll be criticised , he just tries to be strong and use his body...I dont think it's a foul. Its Celtic Park tho and you dont get the big calls.

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

slattery cant win with that one , if he doesnt challenge, he'll be criticised , he just tries to be strong and use his body...I dont think it's a foul. Its Celtic Park tho and you dont get the big calls.

I agree, never a foul and apparently GA also agrees. 

2 hours ago, Richie said:

A yellow for that was scandalous.
Incredibly soft, yet the Celtic TV comms would have you believe that the ref was against them all game.

At least they weren't calling for Lasley to be sent off from the warm up. An absolute shower of talentless cunts for both halves of the OF TV channels.

5 hours ago, Richie said:

A yellow for that was scandalous.
Incredibly soft, yet the Celtic TV comms would have you believe that the ref was against them all game.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Absolutely ridiculous yellow card, I have watched that incident a few times although just from the say camera view and how it was a foul never mind a yellow card, unfortunately it will take Slattery on to six yellows so looks like he will miss the game at Dingwall ( I think!!)

The quicker we get VAR the better as most teams against the ugly sisters never get rub of the green.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

It absolutely will. If we had VAR Watt would have been given a penalty at least.

It's the same pool of refs that review the VAR video, so I have zero confidence things will get any better against the OF in that regard. You'll never hear as many "no clear and obvious error" calls from any VAR other than Ibrox or Parkhead.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:
It's the same pool of refs that review the VAR video, so I have zero confidence things will get any better against the OF in that regard. You'll never hear as many "no clear and obvious error" calls from any VAR other than Ibrox or Parkhead.

Some refs just don’t have the bottle to give split-second big decisions against the OF, maybe if things are slowed down and they have time to breathe and look at it again then we’ll see some change.

More likely, I think it’ll confirm referee bias in the country but then what. It’s not like anyone is going to do anything about it.

1 hour ago, ZT_1886 said:

Some refs just don’t have the bottle to give split-second big decisions against the OF, maybe if things are slowed down and they have time to breathe and look at it again then we’ll see some change.

More likely, I think it’ll confirm referee bias in the country but then what. It’s not like anyone is going to do anything about it.

VAR review for exact same incident:
Celtic penalty claimVAR: definitely contact there. Penalty

other team penalty claim VAR: slight contact but not enough to go down. No penalty. 

it’s still going to be judgement calls made by the same people under the same pressure.  It might come in handy in non old firm games though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, motherwell1886 said:

Watched game in an Irish bar incognito’ on Sunday. My cover was blown within nanoseconds! Very funny though to listen to how they feel bad done to by referees over the years!! Unbelievable!

I picked up a stream which, sadly, was Celtic TV. It even beats Rangers TV for tunnel-vision bias. 

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Only time I recall competent refereeing in Scotland was the time the Scottish lot went on strike and foreign refs were brought in.

18 hours ago, Richie said:

the Celtic TV comms

It’s pointless listening to a word any of them say, they are brought up to thrive on being the victim, the underdog etc.

Celtic TV is representative of their entire support, especially that po-faced sanctimonious wank that used to play for us. You could pick any one of they bitter, pished stained old bastards that frequent the Railway Tavern and they wouldn’t sound any more ludicrous and unreasonable than Boyd does.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, numpty said:

Think he's a classic case of "if he could do it every week, he wouldn't be playing for us" (or Scunthorpe, or Northampton). Sometimes those kind of signings work out, sometimes they don't.  For now I'm happy to keep playing him and see what happens.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. However, there has to be a minimum level of consistency, even for us. Hopefully he won't prove to be a Stuart Elliott type of signing.  

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Generally speaking, I agree with you. However, there has to be a minimum level of consistency, even for us. Hopefully he won't prove to be a Stuart Elliott type of signing.  

If he can contribute a decent amount of goals along with some entertainment and sort out the needless yellows that will do me. Although I’m still not sure what he thought he was doing to get booked on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

If he can contribute a decent amount of goals along with some entertainment and sort out the needless yellows that will do me. Although I’m still not sure what he thought he was doing to get booked on Sunday. 

It was a really stupid yellow card. If he just stands in front of Hart to slow the ball down, nothing happens. He maybe gets the waggy finger. The minute he kicks the ball away its a certain yellow. The fact he got a kick on the shin for his troubles only compounded it.

• Like 1

A bit like the wolves forward who got booked for a foul. Then the player took the free kick while the wolves player is a few feet away.  He jumps at it and sticks out his foot to stop the ball (the opposition player did not try to hit him with the ball) what did he think was going to happen???? Of course it’s another yellow and off he goes. 

• Like 1