Motherwell v St Johnstone 18/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

I remember a game against them years ago when they were also bottom of the league.

It was a nice sunny evening towards the end of the season, and if St Johnstone lost, their relegation was confirmed.

Standing on the East Terrace, I watched us stroll to a 4 - 0 victory.

This game will be nothing like that one - but I think we'll win,

48 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I remember a game against them years ago when they were also bottom of the league.

It was a nice sunny evening towards the end of the season, and if St Johnstone lost, their relegation was confirmed.

Was it 14th April, 1976?

I also remember a game at Fir Park, the last game of the season,  when St Johnstone had to win to stay up. and we needed the win to clinch second.

I'm sure they beat us 2-1 allowing Aberdeen to pip us for 2nd. At the end their 'keeper Andy Rhodes (Jordan's auld man) was giving it big licks with his celebrations in front of the Well fans until word came through that other results had gone against them and they'd still been relegated on goal difference.

It would be nice to have some defenders back. However, given we stood up to Celtic with a depleted squad, you would hope we could cope with St Johnstone at home. Not that it always works that way.  Hoping the new change of tactics / philosophy continues. If it does we should cause them problems with our front 3.

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

I remember us beating them 4-0 in the late 80s or early 90s, it was 4-0 at half time and I think we could have got to double figures if Davie Cooper hadn't spent the second half taking the piss out of their right back.

7 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

I also remember a game at Fir Park, the last game of the season,  when St Johnstone had to win to stay up. and we needed the win to clinch second.

I'm sure they beat us 2-1 allowing Aberdeen to pip us for 2nd. At the end their 'keeper Andy Rhodes (Jordan's auld man) was giving it big licks with his celebrations in front of the Well fans until word came through that other results had gone against them and they'd still been relegated on goal difference.

This was the same day I saw someone literally getting thrown through a window of Centre Focus like in a cowboy movie.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Hear a rumour that the game could be off re the new Covid strain. Any truth in this?

St Mirren game is in question, as is the Dundee United vs Rangers game.

There's going to be call offs up here like there already has been down south, whether or not we get affected is anyone's guess.

I could see them suspending all games just now and then having the winter break a bit earlier to see of things calm down. Danger then is if they don't calm down and there's a fixture back log. 

22 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

St Mirren game is in question, as is the Dundee United vs Rangers game.

There's going to be call offs up here like there already has been down south, whether or not we get affected is anyone's guess.

I could see them suspending all games just now and then having the winter break a bit earlier to see of things calm down. Danger then is if they don't calm down and there's a fixture back log. 

I've heard this Omicron strain is up to 70 times more infectious as it infects the windpipe rather than air sacs deep in the lungs.

The way they are talking this is going to be the biggest Covid challenge yet and the likelyhood is that it is going to effect every club in the next month or so.

27 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've heard this Omicron strain is up to 70 times more infectious as it infects the windpipe rather than air sacs deep in the lungs.

The way they are talking this is going to be the biggest Covid challenge yet and the likelyhood is that it is going to effect every club in the next month or so.

Its affected St Johnstone today, and who knows it may have affected us. Time will tell just how serious this variant is. In terms of today's game, St Johnstone will provide well organised and hard working opposition to try to nullify us.

36 minutes ago, CoF said:

In Thornliebank just now and the mist would barely let you see past the halfway line. How's Motherwell looking? Any doubts about the game?

More or less live next to Fir Park.

It was a peasouper this morning but it has burned off and it's actually the nicest day for ages now.

I'd wrap up though.