Motherwell v St Johnstone 18/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

Not our best performance, game was pretty scrappy and basically died after we got our second but a welcome and deserved 3 points.

Nicely taken goal by Cornelius and some nice skill by VV for his goal.

Also worth noting Liam Kelly making an absolutely terrific save 2nd half to give us another clean sheet and a more comfortable closing stages.

St Johnstone look in big trouble, probably created more chances than us, at least first half, but never really looked like scoring.  If you exclude the two OGs they have scored 7 goals in 18 matches and only twice in the last 10.

I enjoyed that today, a couple are saying "winning when not playing well", but I thought we controlled that very comfortably. Kelly only had one real save and but for a couple of bad decisions by KVV and Woolery, we could have been out of site by half time. I'm normally a nervous observer, but I was never worried  today once the second goal went in. I wish we would keep playing when we are leading though, we just seemed to be happy with what we had with 15-20 minutes left and against a better team, that could have made for a more nervous finish.

That said, I think we are almost at the stage when we can think top six which I didn't see happening after the league cup games.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Exactly probably one of our easier wins today, but I would be worried if I was a St Johnstone supporter.

Aye they were going through the motions in the last 15.

Davidson is unsackable so the Brown's will need to get the chequebook out for players in January.

My first game since ciftci hammered Accies. Thought I might miss it cos my day 2 PCR test results were delayed, but all worked out and I got to subject the weans to a freezing Fir Park and steak pies (which they liked), and they now have the impression that Motherwell are good. Very nice of everyone to arrange the win to recognize my travel efforts.

Great to see Sol back in and Donnelly get 90 mins. Cornelius had a good game on top of the goal, and McGinley is winning me over as well.

St J looked like they packed it in after the 2nd. I think they'll find a way to stay up, bit they were dugmeat going forward. Who is their striker?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Davidson is unsackable so the Brown's will need to get the chequebook out for players in January.

Aye, they haven't exactly re-invested their profits from their cup runs last season or the 2 million they pulled in selling Ali McCann and Jason Kerr in the summer.

5 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Aye, they haven't exactly re-invested their profits from their cup runs last season or the 2 million they pulled in selling Ali McCann and Jason Kerr in the summer.

I dunno why Callum Hendry is such a pariah at McDiarmid.

Better than anyone else they have up front but they either bench him or fire him out on loan.

There was a similar situation at St Mirren last season when they couldn't score for toffee and consistently left our their best goalscorer Obika.

Manager's make it hard for themselves sometimes.

I thought that overall we did pretty well against to be fair a team that’s absolutely toothless up front. I thought Donnelly did pretty well considering he’s just back, also a mention for Goss who is starting to look a decent player and not just someone who is an asset at free kicks.  

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

Thoroughly professional performance today, pass marks to all but I thought some of KVV, s touches were sublime and he took his goal well. To all the wee idiots in the corner, grown up and stop being stupid, playing about with the ball then throwing it on in a position where as soon as play goes there the game will be stopping, absolute brilliant way of stopping us on the attack. :dontknow:

Aye if St Johnstone had scored from the cross on their next attack it would have been a disaster.

The section is a mix between teenagers up to mid 20s so hopefully the older ones get the message and enforce it. 

Pretty scrappy game with very little football played by us in the middle third again. However, a great 3 points, and you cant fault our work rate, solidity at the back and our front 3 always look like they have goals in them. Cant be too harsh about the midfield with Donnelly getting his first start for such a long time and Cornelius still being a rookie. Goss is however, turning into quite an important player for us. St Johnstone look like a team desperate for the transfer window. They need to do some decent business if they are to get out of their current predicament. Ironically they played some decent stuff in the middle third but were pretty toothless up front and couldnt deal with our front 3. Same again next week will do fine.

26 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Inch perfect pass from Solholm but It was KVV's footwork that turned McCart inside out and gave him the space for the shot, great goal all round.

That's the one reported on the BBC website as "launched a straight ball over the top" - making it sound like an aimless punt up the park.