Motherwell v Livingston 26/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

15 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

OK let's be controversial.

Let MFC sell tickets to 500 non season ticket holders (and I'm a season ticket holder} and at least make some money instead of nothing.

What do you think of that idea, and please don't swear.

I will back you pal.  Season ticket holders can still get free link to watch online.   However I doubt it will happen 

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

Everything is open today and for another three days but we can't go to the cup game in 4 weeks?

In my view the first part is a mistake and action should be taken now rather than just allowing more people to contract the virus then act. But I’m not sure any of that is the first minister hating football fans.

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I'll be a total fanny - a pandemic doesn't need to be global, just across a large geographical area.

ok , I am at a loose end but:

Pan- is a combining form used like a prefix meaning “all.” It is often used in a variety of scientific and technical terms, particularly in pathology. Pan- comes from the Greek pâs, meaning “all.” 
I could get worse with no fitba 

1 hour ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Typical of wee crankie, lot of BS over reaction to a declining issue, heh ho will just need to go to the pub then….

Over reaction to a declining issue :doh:  what a feckin ridiculous statement to make about a virus that kills people and leaves others  still struggling health wise a year later, have a look at yourself FFS.

Public health and people's lives are more important than going to a football match, oh and the "wee crankie" patter is honking, get a grip.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

Let MFC sell tickets to 500 non season ticket holders (and I'm a season ticket holder} and at least make some money instead of nothing.

The über fans, Twitter groupies and fleece wearers who think they should be on the board will say different demanding the lion share.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I could get worse with no fitba 

There's hours of fun available for anybody who fancies reading about the various definitions of 'pandemic' and how the scientific community cannae agree on what constitutes one, for numerous really, really fascinating reasons. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Alan Burrows says 

I see AB is in favour of bringing the winter break forward, a position being taken by several other clubs it seems. 

I’ve got to say while I see where they are coming from, the virus isn’t going to have gone away after three weeks and there is no chance of it going back to anything like full crowds by then. Generally since the beginning of the pandemic they set measures out with three week review times but they are not simply going to remove them after that time, if anything they will strengthen the measures at that point if not before.

So bringing forward the winter break in the hope that by the time we resume crowds will be back is nothing but fantasy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I see AB is in favour of bringing the winter break forward, a position being taken by several other clubs it seems. 

I’ve got to say while I see where they are coming from, the virus isn’t going to have gone away after three weeks and there is no chance of it going back to anything like full crowds by then. Generally since the beginning of the pandemic they set measures out with three week review times but they are not simply going to remove them after that time, if anything they will strengthen the measures at that point if not before.

So bringing forward the winter break in the hope that by the time we resume crowds will be back is nothing but fantasy.

there should hopefully be a lit more people had booster by then...if they still wont remove the shackles when majority have had 3 jags, its difficult to see what else can be done.

3 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

I’d happily let fans who have came home for Christmas and don’t normally get to see the team on a regular basis get first shout 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

there should hopefully be a lit more people had booster by then...if they still wont remove the shackles when majority have had 3 jags, its difficult to see what else can be done.

Yes hopefully but it would be pointless and perhaps also irresponsible to just allow crowds back come mid/late January as that would almost certainly risk another spike in cases. If they did then they would be back to square one within a matter of weeks and that would render the current restrictions meaningless.

It’s tough and it’s a shit situation, but I honestly think that until the Covid virus starts to substantially weaken then we’ll be in this cycle for the foreseeable future. 

9 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Over reaction to a declining issue :doh:  what a feckin ridiculous statement to make about a virus that kills people and leaves others  still struggling health wise a year later, have a look at yourself FFS.

Public health and people's lives are more important than going to a football match, oh and the "wee crankie" patter is honking, get a grip.

I continue to be amazed how some people seem to feel that going to a game of football or having a meal is more important than their own long term health. I still have family and members of my team at work with long covid, they may never be the same again, Mother in law died with it. Not going to a match won’t kill anyone. 

• Like 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59754242

Motherwell say TV is not the deciding factor over bringing winter break forward

By Phil Goodlad
BBC Scotland
Last updated onLess than a minute ago

There are three scheduled live TV matches in the Premiership over the festive period

A decision on whether to bring forward the Scottish Premiership's winter break will not be determined by broadcasting deals, says Motherwell's Alan Burrows.

Ten of the 12 top-flight clubs, including Well, want an earlier break to coincide with reduced crowd numbers coming into force on Sunday.

The league will stop for 23 days after Hibernian v Hearts on 3 January, one of three live TV games before the break.

"We have games on Sky that are regularly postponed," said Burrows.

"Clubs need to recognise Sky's role in this. My understanding is that the Sky contract is for x number of games that they get to pick based on the parameters that exist within the contract. But there isn't anything that says x game have to be played on x date."

The Scottish government announced on Tuesday that, from 26 December, outdoor sporting events in Scotland can have a maximum of 500 people in attendance for a period of three weeks.

Premiership clubs, who are scheduled to play Scottish Cup games on the weekend of 20-22 January, met on Tuesday night.

The majority are in favour of shifting the league's mid-season pause to a Boxing Day start and Burrows told Good Morning Scotland a decision could be announced on Wednesday.

Livingston manager David Martindale says the league should "explore a way of postponing these fixtures and try and play them at a later date when fans are allowed back".

"I've spoken to my players and players at other clubs, and everybody's kind of at the same opinion that they would rather not play the fixture than in front of 500 fans," he added.

The Scottish Championship and and Leagues 1 and 2 do not have a scheduled winter break while the SWPL is currently on hiatus until 16 January.

11 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I tend to agree with you.

The Government is on record as saying it predicts a February peak for Omicron so I don't see anyway for football to be opening up in 3 weeks time.

Perhaps there will be better understanding of the virus and better data that will mean restrictions could be lifted in stages but at this stage we don't really know what's going to happen.

The Government can't play poker with people's lives.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Burrows is going to look a bit daft when they call off these fixtures then we end playing the exact same games without fans a fortnight later. 

Well he wont actually coz as he says its better to try it and see if it works than not.  I personally cannot see any reason not to bring it forward as all the reasons not to do it are mibby this mibby that. The definite is no fans from 26 onwards and it is definite for 3 weeks from then. So if we move the break then have to start back with no fans all we have lost is trying to do it as Im sure we could extend season by week we have missed to fit in the 3 games. Another maybe is I am being too simplistic.  Every team other than rangers and ross county think its a good idea as do fans of all clubs other than rangers from what i see on twitter.  Make of that what you will

Im not a fan of a pre-determined  winter break. Weather could be terrible at any point from Nov - March.

Pre covid it was a lottery - close in January when weather is ok and face a build up of postponement in feb/march.

Now in a covid world even more uncertainty.    If safe for players we should continue to play.

I'd rather we keep the season going and roll with the punches, if weather or covid stops play so be it - re-arrange as/when we need to.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Yes hopefully but it would be pointless and perhaps also irresponsible to just allow crowds back come mid/late January as that would almost certainly risk another spike in cases. If they did then they would be back to square one within a matter of weeks and that would render the current restrictions meaningless.

It’s tough and it’s a shit situation, but I honestly think that until the Covid virus starts to substantially weaken then we’ll be in this cycle for the foreseeable future. 

but with the vaccines, we all need to get back out

covid wont go until its run its course , so we kind of need to face it head on...with the jags in us, as it were