Motherwell v Livingston 26/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

6 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

condolences to those who have lost relatives etc, but as the eminent Professor Pennington states 'The figure of 500 has ben plucked from the air, 10,000 of a crowd would make no difference. I can't come to Fir Park sit in my seat in the fresh air because I might either spread or catch something, but I can sit in a pub, yes 1 mtr distancing full of people, but that's OK, just doesn't sit right with me. Give us a definite answer, do vaccines work or not and stop blaming everything on people going to the football. To those backing her, did you go to the games or have you sat in the house only asking. 

Yes, Covid has touched many families including my own.

I agree about the 500 figure, but in fairness any limit is going to be arbitrary.  In terms of the reasons behind such a restriction I agree that the actual stadium attendance is the lesser of the 2 risks, but surely the dangers of transmission are far greater in a smaller ground like say New Bayview (500 occupied seats out of 1,980 - 25.3%) than in say Pittodrie (500 occupied seats out of 20,866 - 2.3%)? In terms of the greater risk, that is the effect on public transport, I doubt that 500 fans would make much difference. Most of those 500 will not travel to stadia by public transport; probably considerably less than half will. Of those who do, not all will have the same trip origin.  Whilst agreeing that public health must be our priority, I doubt if this restriction to 500 attendees at football matches will make much difference health wise, but it will make an economic  difference.  However, scale that up to say 20,000 and over thats where a real difference could kick in. 50,000 going to Ibrox or Parkhead would create a huge risk for those travelling by bus or train or underground. All that said, public transport will be much reduced on Boxing Day anyway.

In my view this is a very blunt measure which, on balance, may do more harm than good. Thats not to say that some kind of crowd restriction shouldn't be introduced in a more targeted way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

but with the vaccines, we all need to get back out

covid wont go until its run its course , so we kind of need to face it head on...with the jags in us, as it were

The problem is that it’s still a relatively new virus and therefore still not a full understanding of it and how it mutates. That’s why the concern over this latest faster spreading variant because the experts themselves don’t know what it’s going to do and how severe it could potentially be. There will unfortunately be more new variants in all likelihood but hopefully over time they get much, much weaker and then we can start to “live with it” but that could be a few years away yet.

19 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

The über fans, Twitter groupies and fleece wearers who think they should be on the board will say different demanding the lion share.

I'm no an uber fan, I'm aff twitter but i do have a fleece for works purposes...I'll be at the front of the queue

19 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Over reaction to a declining issue :doh:  what a feckin ridiculous statement to make about a virus that kills people and leaves others  still struggling health wise a year later, have a look at yourself FFS.

Public health and people's lives are more important than going to a football match, oh and the "wee crankie" patter is honking, get a grip.

Point scoring pish from the guy...those in government, both London and Edinburgh, have one helluva job working in circumstances that are new to everyone involved 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Given that we had to stop the league two seasons ago we should be playing as many games as possible. 

There is also the chance we delay the games, get a Covid outbreak and have to play a weakened team. We are flying just now and should be looking to rack up the wins while we are on form. 

I agree with this, get the games played as we don't know how bad this is going to be

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Sturgeon stopped crowds for quite a few other countries too. 

Yes, she also hates hogmanay revellers as well...evil, evil wee kranky

24 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm no an uber fan, I'm aff twitter but i do have a fleece for works purposes...I'll be at the front of the queue

Point scoring pish from the guy...those in government, both London and Edinburgh, have one helluva job working in circumstances that are new to everyone involved 

I agree with this, get the games played as we don't know how bad this is going to be

Yes, she also hates hogmanay revellers as well...evil, evil wee kranky

Dont forget she put Holland into a full lockdown at the weekend, shes shut the boozers in Ireland at 8pm each night and i believe cancelled all the dancing in Portugal.

Just wait till boxing day when she rolls out restrictions in England with next to no notice, then shit will really hit the fan

I don't understand why the SPFL board is taking so long to "rubber stamp" the vote of Premiership clubs which was due to be concluded at 1700hrs. If administrative homework was done beforehand by the SPFL officials it should be straightforward. But then again none of these SPFL processes are ever straightforward. 

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Poor old Alan. Out giving it the big one about Sky not calling the shots this morning then done up like a kipper at the meeting. 

Aye, very good. Do you not think that if Sky made the decision then the Arse cheeks game would be going ahead? It's obvious you don't like Mr Burrows but at least try and be rational in your hatred please.:no2:

I can’t help but feeling that this has only happened because Celtic wanted it to happen. Had they not been so vocal in pushing for this then it would have been thrown out straight away. But that’s Scottish football these days, what Celtic want, Celtic get.

As I said yesterday, I don’t see what this will achieve. The virus won’t have gone away by mid January and if anything case numbers will be a lot higher by then they are just now due to Christmas/New Year household mixing, so I would have thought it would have been better to just play the scheduled games bcd, as shite as that is. As it is we are looking at a major backlog in fixtures when we do eventually resume - which I am 100% certain will be without full crowds. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Aye, very good. Do you not think that if Sky made the decision then the Arse cheeks game would be going ahead? It's obvious you don't like Mr Burrows but at least try and be rational in your hatred please.:no2:

Burrows' supposed reason for wanting the games off was losing money on Boxing Day. Guess what we are losing it. 

The reason we are losing it is because Celtic need to play at least 1 fixture to prevent a possible pile up for them. We have been shafted and instead of seeing this coming he was punting the Parkhead line on TV all day. 

• Like 2

We were never getting more than 500 after the announcement on Tuesday, whether the game was played on Boxing day or sometime in January. Celtic want the Rangers game off because they are hammered by injuries and they are scared to lose ground on the blue uglies.

I just don't understand why you blame Burrows for everything, did he pish on your chips?

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Burrows' supposed reason for wanting the games off was losing money on Boxing Day. Guess what we are losing it. 

The reason we are losing it is because Celtic need to play at least 1 fixture to prevent a possible pile up for them. We have been shafted and instead of seeing this coming he was punting the Parkhead line on TV all day. 

I don’t think Burrows is taking the position he is to do Celtic’s bidding, certainly not intentionally anyway. I can absolutely get that he’d want us to have the opportunity to get supporters into games and by delaying matches that might make that happen, as unlikely as it is to actually happen.

However you are absolutely correct in saying that this decision has been heavily influenced by Celtic and them looking out for their own selfish needs.

Slightly off topic, but I really hope St Midden get scudded tonight. After last years shenanigans that got them a reprieve and games replayed they have tried it again. There line up is strong with only the subs being possibility unknown, so Mr Goodwin and Mr Fitzpatrick, get it roon yi.

I’d agree if they were playing anyone other than one of the OF.

48 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I like Burrows, but he does have a habit of this