Motherwell v Livingston 26/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

I don't think we were as bad as some on here are making out, we didn't dominate the game but we were well worth the three points.

Two brilliant goals from Van Veen. If he'd got the third at the end it would have been an all time classic hat trick.

Disappointing to see Sondre go off, thought he was excellent but luckily the break has come.

Sitting in 4th at the break, cannae argue.

• Like 2

I thought that overall we were ok, we’ve been far poorer than that in many games. Van Veen takes the plaudits but a special mention to Shields who I thought was also excellent. Great first half of the season so well done Alexander.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good win which we deserved but it was far harder than it needed to be.  I'll go against the grain here and say we missed Watt's general skill up front. That said Van Veen did very well. Not our best performance by a long way but we did the job to end 2021 on a high. .

Aye that’s how I saw the game as well.

It wasn't our best performance but it was all about getting the 3 points today and going into the break on a bit of a high.if we can get watts situation resolved and a replacement brought in before our next game,that would be ideal,all in all I'm delighted where we are going into the second half of the season.

Thought we were pretty comfortable the whole game and deserved the win. I thought we'd be shaky when livi scored, but we saw the game out pretty easily after that.

It was nice to watch the game at the right time of day, and with family. Shite that I couldn't actually be at the game, but I would only have spent it calling Tony Watt names.

Comfortable victory, perfect well no, but as routine a 3 points as we are likely to get at this level.

Van veen has proven that, if played central in a 3, then he is more than good enough. 
Consequently, if we could get a 6 figure fee for watt and it were to be reinvested in a winger of similar standard then I would be comfortable with our squad to the season end.

I also agree with other posters in that GA has done a great job so far.

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

A wee bit scary how “easily” we have won the last 2 games without playing overly well. Last 2 games very comfortable. 

Definitely.  I think the term professional was for performances like that.

I'll agree with kmcalpin in that watt was missed today in his ability to take ball in tight areas abd attack defenders and win fouls but shields would have got another wee bit of confidence from his performance today and I hope he can kick on.

Rest of season I feel is going to be really exciting for places 3 4 and 5 plus Scottish cup hopefully. Sine our scudding from rangers we now look like a team of experienced players who will be hard to beat.

Us hearts hibs adeen and d utd all gd games. The rest are in relegation fight. Hope us fans are back for all the games.

Alexander has definitely won me round after start of season and although we are not Brazil I can at least now see what hes trying to do plus its getting victorys.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2022 to everyone. 

25 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

A wee bit scary how “easily” we have won the last 2 games without playing overly well. Last 2 games very comfortable. 

One of the noticeable things this season has been how we have been able to continually change the defence and midfield yet get consistent results. 

In his Open Goal interview GA said the big difference between our league and English League One was having time to work with the players rather than constant midweek games and we do look a very well coached and fit team at the moment. 

He also said he was living in Glasgow with his family which I think makes a big difference. We've seen McGhee, Robinson and McCall all completely lose the plot and I suspect that the pressures of being based outside Scotland contributed.

• Like 1

As one of the "500" interesting to read that some TV fans think we didnt play all that well. Maybe came across like that on the telly but thought we played well within ourselves and didn't let Livi bully us like they set out to.

Maybe not apparent unless you were there but the amount of jersey tugging, body checking and off the ball fouls we had to put up with was typical Livi. Nothing dangerous but designed to break up our rhythm which they succeeded with to a certain extent.

Maybe some people will call them streetwise but to me they are just a gang.

Looking ahead we have a winnable game against County and then a monumental double header against the Edinburgh sides. They are both in great form, but then again so are we.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and we will get a packed Fir Park for the Hibs game. 

2 hours ago, stv said:

Must have been the steam I was watching which was different to others posting . Thought we played very well and could have scored more. Thought we were well worth the win.  

i dont think we played very well , we worked our socks off , scored two good goals but the general standard was poor and not as good as recent games but to win in such circumstances is excellent.

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

i dont think we played very well , we worked our socks off , scored two good goals but the general standard was poor and not as good as recent games but to win in such circumstances is excellent.

Was fairly subdued game with both teams not doing much.  Not sure I would say we didn’t play very well or that we played well. It was just “meh” not good but not bad. Having said that, the defense looked comfortable and we did score 2 good goals. So Hooray, 3 points to us.