Motherwell v Livingston 26/12/2021

SteelmaninOZ

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

And yet, when the world was shut down last year, they gave special permission for football to be played.

Politicians in general aren't great football fans, but they have to be pretty dim even by their standards to have no appreciation of how popular it is amongst their voters.

We don't special permission to play, they need a watertight reason to stop the games. 

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We don't special permission to play, they need a watertight reason to stop the games. 

Members of my family have been in intensive care with Covid.  It's no joke.

Personally my booster appointment isn't until after Christmas and the extreme infection rate of this variant is probably going to be a big problem. I thought hard about going to the last game.

It was most likely games were going to be cancelled anyway from player infections like they have down south (which is a bit ahead of us in terms of infection spread).

It's football.  We can park it for a while.  I wish everything was like it was pre-virus but it isn't and we have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Stay safe everyone.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

so why keep pubs etc open and force crowds inside ? The games shouldve been called off ...its the lack of creative or critical thinking from  government that's hard to take.

A percentage of capacities shoulve been allowed and could space out.

I dont think Sturge hates football fans but I doubt shes ever ran a business either .

The SG has laid out the constraints, it will be for SPFL to decide if games should be called off.

12 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Personally my booster appointment isn't until after Christmas and the extreme infection rate of this variant is probably going to be a big problem. I thought hard about going to the last game.

It was most likely games were going to be cancelled anyway from player infections like they have down south (which is a bit ahead of us in terms of infection spread).

It's football.  We can park it for a while.  I wish everything was like it was pre-virus but it isn't and we have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Stay safe everyone.  

I'll be at work regardless of how many people are in intensive care so I find the concern of the government very selective. How dangerous Covid is to you and your family apparently depends on whether your job can be done sitting at a computer.

At the moment I can't use my ticket for Fir Park on Sunday and sit outside but I can go the cinema on Monday and sit inside. That makes no sense and suggests to me that she is happy to make a high profile example of putting restrictions on football but has no intention of upsetting the large financial interests that own Braehead, Silverburn, Buchanan Galleries etc. 

• Like 1

Why not just postpone the next 2 games and play them midweek next year then head into the winter break.

Might not suit the old firm if they're still in Europe but at least clubs don't lose income and the fans don't miss out.

Always assuming things get back to normal in 3 weeks of course.

11 minutes ago, santheman said:

Why not just postpone the next 2 games and play them midweek next year then head into the winter break.

Might not suit the old firm if they're still in Europe but at least clubs don't lose income and the fans don't miss out.

Always assuming things get back to normal in 3 weeks of course.

Sky will want games on TV over Christmas. 

Not against this in principle, but have issues with the detail. Prof Jason Leitch said a few days ago that he had no problem with crowds at large events, outdoors or even indoors. His issue was with how people were going to get there ie in crowded buses or trains. Now given that public transport will be minimal on Boxing Day, couldn't the restrictions have come into force on the 27th? Maybe not a huge issue you might think but many clubs will be detrimentally affected by that one day's change.

In any event, many people are totally disregarding basic laws and advice, like the wearing of face coverings, anyway but thats a wider public health enforcement issue.  

As an aside, many clubs will find it difficult to ballot season ticket holders in time for Sunday.

Really depressing news today but the writing has been on the wall for a good few weeks. As hard as it is, much of Europe and beyond will implement similar restrictions on crowds, indeed some already have. Here’s hoping however that crowds (of at least 25/50%) can return quicker than last year once the booster has been rolled out to a sufficient level.

Grim spell ahead unfortunately, fingers crossed those that cling onto Motherwell and football for a bit of light relief and pleasure can get through it safely.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Difficult decision but don't feel there was much choice,  at least we can look forward to sellik fans crying conspiracy as old firm game ahead, and at least the 500 capacity won't affect accies home games....ba boom.

Celtic fans all want it off now as they have injuries. Deja vu.

Aberdeen seem to want the games postponed as they need revenue from two home games. 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

The Scottish Goverment and particularly Sturgeon hate football fans. 

steelboy hates the Scottish Government and Nicola Sturgeon in particular.

You can argue the toss over other venues remaining open - for now - but when there are around 30 games postponed in the English leagues due to Covid outbreaks among players, this was inevitable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Stay safe everyone.  

I dont think many would put people's health at risk for the sake of a sporting occasion.

For me, it's the lack of data to back up these decisions   ...outside , there appears to be minimal risk . They are restricting fir park to 500, when you could easily fit in 6 times that number , all distanced.

Politicians have a helluva difficult job at the minute, but there doesn't seem to be any in Scotland that want to go against the grain.

10 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

For me, it's the lack of data to back up these decisions   ...outside , there appears to be minimal risk . They are restricting fir park to 500, when you could easily fit in 6 times that number , all distanced.

If we accept Professor Leitch's argument, which I do, then the capacity of, or the size of the crowd inside Fir Park, is largely irrelevant. Its how people travel to Fir Park thats the problem.

Yes, absence of data is an issue.

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

If we accept Professor Leitch's argument, which I do, then the capacity of, or the size of the crowd inside Fir Park, is largely irrelevant. Its how people travel to Fir Park thats the problem.

Yes, absence of data is an issue.

Travelling to the pantomine, cinema or shopping centre is fine though.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Travelling to the pantomine, cinema or shopping centre is fine though.....

Fair point. I suppose that politically this is about economics. The health risks  of travelling to a shopping centre might be similar to travelling to a football stadium but the economic impact of restrictions would be greater and public resistance also greater. Thats an ssumption on my part though as we don't have the data to back these decisons up, as Great Balls of Shire rightly says, only Professor Leitch's comments about the risks of travel on public transport.  

1 hour ago, Haggischomper said:

Dunno what is the more depressing news. The shutdown due to a raging global pandemic or the outbreak of rampant fannyism in the Motherwell area.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

just to add fuel to your fire, I'll be a pedantic fanny...if it's a pandemic , it cant be anything other than global, just what people say to ramp it up even more 

• Like 2

just to add fuel to your fire, I'll be a pedantic fanny...if it's a pandemic , it cant be anything other than global, just what people say to ramp it up even more 
Haha, you are absolutely right! Drives me daft when people say that and now I've fallen into the same trap. Fuck, I can't wait for this to be all over and done with

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I'll be a total fanny - a pandemic doesn't need to be global, just across a large geographical area.