Ross County v Motherwell 18/1/22

santheman

7 hours ago, Al B said:

And the same for each region in England.

I honestly can't see their not being some sort of legal action taken by the hospitality and leisure sector, and if there is, the Government surely can;t have a leg to stand on. Even if they don't accept retrospectively that they were wildly wrong, the official figures are uncontestable proof that restrictions don't make any difference and need to be removed immediately.

Thing is, if they do that, then they have to admit they were put in place wrongly in the first place, which then opens the legal Pandora's Box.

They have utterly and absolutely fucked it, and are being found out. And I've got absolutely no clue who I'm gonna vote for now, and have to re-evaluate whether I even want indepencence when I was a nailed-on supporter before. I wouldn't even let Nicola Sturgeon and her team run a tote sheet let alone my country.

FIb-FBYWQAQ4Cdr?format=jpg&name=small

How out of step has the SG been with countries across the globe e.g. Europe, Asia  and Australia?

2 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Nice to see that after the rather curt replies by GazzyB, Goneupby and Spiderpig, some decent people have posted giving good discussion to the matter at hand. 

I said very early in this thread that the SNP have fucked this up big time.

• Like 1

You posted rambling gibberish, Al B posted an excellent assessment. It's laughable that you think your post and his were even close to similar.

How can I be backtracking if the first thing I posted on the subject was complete agreement that the Scottish Government have made a mess of this? Your feelings are clearly hurt, but I stand by the fact that your contribution to this thread (and others, your bizarre love-in for O'Donnell when Mugabe is a far superior right back for example) has been absolutely minging.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Motherwell Daft said:

Hospitals are receiving the standard numbers of people requiring care as expected in any standard December/January and February when hospitals ‘ are every year known to  before the virus be very busy.

Aye, deploying the army is merely provocative 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Aye, deploying the army is merely provocative 

Hopefully the armed forces will cope with all the pressure being heaped on to them just now.

Why are many hospitals not coping? Its a complex situation and I just don't know. How do the numbers stack up compared to the early days of the pandemic? I'd guess less patients in intensive care. However many staff are off sick and or are isolating so its hard to gauge. The pandemic is like the straw thats breaking the camel's back. Long running issues coming home to roost.

So any news on Sondre's availability?  Him and Ojala have both had a pretty poor run of luck with injuries since arriving but both have looked good signings when they have played.

Also any word on Lamie's situation?  If he's fit and a league one side want him I think we've enough at centre back to let him move on and free up a wage, assuming Sondre and Ojala are both back fit.

On 1/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, ropy said:

How out of step has the SG been with countries across the globe e.g. Europe, Asia  and Australia?

On 1/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, ropy said:

Different takes on international situation. I  certainly go with the First Minister of Wales who is clear in his view that it is the Westminster government that is the " outlier" when compared to other countries ( including Scotland). He adds that Johnson as seen by his disregard of the advice of scientists and medical experts who advocate the retention or increase in restrictions does not regard the health of English people as his priority but rather keeping his backbenchers happy .

The next few days should be interesting.

50 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hopefully Drakeford will be dribbling about Scotland being an outlier tomorrow. 

This is the guy who made it illegal to buy underwear from a supermarket during the first lockdown. We are not talking about a great intellect.

I'm sure he won some poll last year about being the most boring person in Britain.

Anyways cannae wait till tomorrow to see if I need to cancel my hotel booking in Inverness next Tuesday.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

I'm sure he won some poll last year about being the most boring person in Britain.

Anyways cannae wait till tomorrow to see if I need to cancel my hotel booking in Inverness next Tuesday.

I can see the restrictions being lifted but not before the 17th as the gov stated when they were applied so don't think it will be in time for the games next week, 

27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I can see the restrictions being lifted but not before the 17th as the gov stated when they were applied so don't think it will be in time for the games next week, 

Aye I know it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

Conflicting information everywhere you look doesn't help

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I think we’ll see a return to full attendances for Ross County away. 

I hope so GazzyB.  I would hate to miss the Morton Cup tie and possibly Hibs at home. Would cost the club quite a bit of money too. 

The data on numbers of infections shows the current restrictions are having little impact compared to down south where there are none.

Conflicting stories everywhere this morning where I have read Jason Leitch supposedly admit restrictions on football are having no real meaningful impact but should still stay in place.  God knows what to make of that if true !

16 hours ago, steelboy said:

Hopefully Drakeford will be dribbling about Scotland being an outlier tomorrow. 

This is the guy who made it illegal to buy underwear from a supermarket during the first lockdown. We are not talking about a great intellect.

I gather he talks well of you.

• Haha 1

This whole 'mini' lockdown is a shambles. SNP have fucked it and know they have. Omicron was and always will be a very mild variant, this was clearly seen in South Africa and its why England stuck to just saying to people 'be sensible'. Scotland on the other hand shat the bed.

Its so fustrating watching English football right now with full crowds yet a couple of hundred miles up the road we have shut it all down. Sturgeon has already hinted at living with Covid, that should have been the mantra from the moment we started getting our second jab as its clearly working.

Time to stop being cautious as that will cost more lives than Covid in the long run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I hope so GazzyB.  I would hate to miss the Morton Cup tie and possibly Hibs at home. Would cost the club quite a bit of money too. 

The data on numbers of infections shows the current restrictions are having little impact compared to down south where there are none.

Conflicting stories everywhere this morning where I have read Jason Leitch supposedly admit restrictions on football are having no real meaningful impact but should still stay in place.  God knows what to make of that if true !

My guess, and its a total guess, is that restrictions will continue to apply for the midweek league games but be removed by Cup weekend.  But who knows? Yes, infection rates in Scotland and England are very similar Iain and what little divergence there is could well be down to other factors. Certainly restrictions at football matches and elsewhere don't seem to be making much, if indeed any, difference and Professor Leitch's  view (I haven't heard or read it) doesn't seem to reflect the commonly acknowledged position that restrictions are a balance between health and economy. There are always conflicting stories and you can always find at least one expert arguing against other experts and the press zero in on the outliers to generate interest, discussions, political point scoring  and last but not least sales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59953823

Restrictions on outdoor events likely to be lifted
Published 32 minutes ago

The move would allow football fans to return to stadiums

The lifting of restrictions on large outdoor events in Scotland is expected to be announced this afternoon.

The move would allow football fans to return to stadiums when the Scottish Premiership's winter break ends next week.

It will also avoid Scotland's Six Nations rugby matches having to be played behind closed doors at Murrayfield.

A limit of 500 people at outdoor events has been in place since Boxing Day.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will confirm in a statement at 14:20 whether that limit will remain in place.

It is understood that the latest data on the virus has increased the Scottish government's optimism that the situation could soon begin to improve.

Premiership football teams started their winter break early after the crowd limit was imposed, with matches due to return next Monday when Celtic host Hibernian at Celtic Park.

Many football fans believe the sport was unfairly singled out by the restrictions.

Large Hogmanay events, including the famous street party in Edinburgh, were also cancelled.

The restrictions on outdoor events were among a series of measures imposed by the Scottish government in an attempt to slow the spread of the Omicron variant.

Limits of 100 people were placed on indoor standing events or 200 if they were seated, while nightclubs had to close and pubs and restaurants had to bring back table service for alcohol and a one-metre distance between different groups of people.

People were also urged not to meet in groups of more than three households.

But the latest Scottish government Covid report showed that average daily cases in Scotland (2,824 per one million population in the week to 6 January) were higher than in England (2,615 per one million), which has fewer Covid restrictions.

It is not yet known whether any other restrictions will be lifted by the first minister.

Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at Edinburgh University, told BBC Scotland on Monday that there was a "complete lack of necessity to keep us indoors" because "the virus does not transmit outdoors".

He added: "Somehow, through the scientific advisory systems and the politicians, this didn't get translated into public health action.

"As a result we all spent a lot of time having our activities curtailed for very little effect and far too long in my view."

But Scotland's national clinical director, Prof Jason Leitch, insisted that the restrictions had helped to reduce the spread of Omicron.

He said: "I think the protections reduce the size of the wave and they also potentially elongate the wave to allow you to get more people vaccinated and spread the hospitalisations and intensive care cases out over a longer period."

3 hours ago, johnstone said:

This whole 'mini' lockdown is a shambles. SNP have fucked it and know they have. Omicron was and always will be a very mild variant, this was clearly seen in South Africa and its why England stuck to just saying to people 'be sensible'. Scotland on the other hand shat the bed.

I hardly think erring on the side of caution is shitting the bed.

England has a government that couldn't care less about people while here we have one that puts the safety of people first during a pandemic, whether they recognise that or not.

Give that Scotland has much worse general health statistics than the UK as a whole we've actually done a better job than down south in restricting Covid related deaths.

The Scottish Governments approach has saved lives.  Sorry you missed a couple of weeks of football.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

England has a government that couldn't care less about people while here we have one that puts the safety of people first during a pandemic, whether they recognise that or not.

Let's not pretend that our politicians are any different than other politicians worldwide. 

This whole situation has long been more about political oneupmanship than saving lives for quite a while now. The Scottish government took the gamble that by closing shit down when their counterparts down south didn't they'd see their Covid numbers sky rocket while ours didn't, thus providing the ammunition for our government to play the "see? This is what happens when the 'Tories run things. If we were independent we wouldn't need to answer to them at all" card.

Ordinary people are just fodder to these megalomaniacs. On both sides of the border. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I hardly think erring on the side of caution is shitting the bed.

Give that Scotland has much worse general health statistics than the UK as a whole we've actually done a better job than down south in restricting Covid related deaths.

The Scottish Governments approach has saved lives.  Sorry you missed a couple of weeks of football.

I guess it basically goes along the lines of it you are SNP you believe it was the correct decision and if you don’t support the SNP then they overreacted and there is plenty of data to back up the latter assertion. 

FWIW I think it was a prudent decision at the time. Hindsight is wonderful. I just feel for all those who have businesses or work in hospitality. The timing over Xmas and New Year could hardly have been worse…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I just feel for all those who have businesses or work in hospitality. The timing over Xmas and New Year could hardly have been worse…

I fear we'll see the fallout from that over the next six months or so. For many of these businesses the revenue generated at Christmas and New Year is crucial, and without that many will likely go to the wall.