santheman

Ross County v Motherwell 18/1/22

Nice to see that after the rather curt replies by GazzyB, Goneupby and Spiderpig, some decent people have posted giving good discussion to the matter at hand. 

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I can't wrap my head around why they are being so cagey about telling us how many people are being hospitalised by Covid, who would otherwise be at home completely fine with nothing wrong with them if they didn't have it. (Which is of course the number that everything should be based on)

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I’d suggest it’s to ‘encourage’ people to get vaccinated / boostered… which is in everyone’s interests… and if so, and it works… maybe the end justifies the means?!

5 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I’d suggest it’s to ‘encourage’ people to get vaccinated / boostered… which is in everyone’s interests… and if so, and it works… maybe the end justifies the means?!

Well, firstly they have been reporting it like that since the very beginning, way before vaccinations were around. Secondly we're up there with the most vaccinated countries there is, and lastly if that is their intention with it, they have completely undermined it by forcing vaccinated people to isolate and introducing restrictions across the board regardless of vaccination status. Anyone that has chosen not to be vaccinated isn't going to be encouraged by that...they are going to be saying whats the point in getting vaccinated if I still have to stay in the house?

Thanks Al B.

You've spoken more sense on here in a day than Leitch has in 2 years.

15 minutes ago, Al B said:

Well, firstly they have been reporting it like that since the very beginning, way before vaccinations were around. Secondly we're up there with the most vaccinated countries there is, and lastly if that is their intention with it, they have completely undermined it by forcing vaccinated people to isolate and introducing restrictions across the board regardless of vaccination status. Anyone that has chosen not to be vaccinated isn't going to be encouraged by that...they are going to be saying whats the point in getting vaccinated if I still have to stay in the house?

I guess I was making the point that painting the worst case scenario… focusing on infections…. and imposing / trying to justify additional restrictions… may indeed have that effect. I heard something on the radio the other day (not sure the source) that in the current Omicron vaccine / booster push, 750K people in the UK had come forward for their first vaccination… which I felt was surprisingly very high (in a good way, as it’s in everyone’s interests as I said)

15 minutes ago, santheman said:

Thanks Al B.

You've spoken more sense on here in a day than Leitch has in 2 years.

Al B argues his case well but I'd suggest we all look at the comments of the Welsh First Minister who hits the nail on the head regarding the buffoon that is Johnson and his acknowledgement that Wales as with Scotland have got it about right 

10 minutes ago, livivoice said:

Al B argues his case well but I'd suggest we all look at the comments of the Welsh First Minister who hits the nail on the head regarding the buffoon that is Johnson and his acknowledgement that Wales as with Scotland have got it about right.

I'll pass on that thanks all the same.

6 hours ago, Al B said:

And you are absolutely right to do so, if that is what you believe. And that is really the crux of my point in fairness, we are now at a point where the public should be trusted to assert their own attitude to risk, much like if an individual believes that the risk of a plane crash is too high for them, then they are fully within their rights to not go on one and that is absolutely fair enough. But you don't ban air travel because some planes crash.

I don't think anyone is (rationally) saying that no action should be taken at all. The point is more that the action shouldn't just be arbitrary and should have some sort of basis behind it.

A lot is being made of the whole "football fans shouldnt be so selfish" thing, but the fact that it's football is neither here nor there. On the one hand you have football being limited to 500 people in stadiums whilst schools stayed open. What you can essentially break that down into is  a group of 98% vaccinated people outdoors, Vs a group of 100% unvaccinated people in an enclosed space. Which one is more of a threat? And yet which one was allowed to continue?

The fact that it's football doesn't matter....it's the fact that it doesn't make sense and isn't dealing with the problem, is what's infuriating people.

That's not even touching the fact that, yes limiting Fir Park to 500 fans spreads everyone out, but if you take a smaller club with one stand that normally has maybe 250 people in it, with 600-700 spread out around the rest of the stadium, then what the 500 limit is actually doing in real terms, is taking a stand that normally has 250 people in it, and putting 500 people in it. Again, the fact that it's football is neither here-nor-there, it's the fact that it's arbitrary, across the board, and makes no sense, that is causing the outrage.

Or take the mandatory re-introduction of screens in pubs and shops, which were literally proven to reduce airflow and contain air particles into areas rather than allowing them to disperse. Again, no-ones saying there should be no action....but it should be proportionate and at the very VERY least, correct and helpful.

It was reported by a journalist that I can't for the life of me find now (I will keep trying as I fully appreciate how unbelievable this is....which is basically my point), that he had the following exchange in a private media briefing with a government rep in advance of a public one:

"Is it the case that if I am in a Church then I must wear a mask, unless I am singing in which case I can remove the mask?

Yes.

Does that mean that I can go into Tesco without a mask as long as I am singing?

Well, techincally by the letter of the rules, yes."

I mean.....let's just leave it there cos even though it's Friday I should at least do SOME work.

I think we will win 1-0

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Al B said:

And the same for each region in England.

I honestly can't see their not being some sort of legal action taken by the hospitality and leisure sector, and if there is, the Government surely can;t have a leg to stand on. Even if they don't accept retrospectively that they were wildly wrong, the official figures are uncontestable proof that restrictions don't make any difference and need to be removed immediately.

Thing is, if they do that, then they have to admit they were put in place wrongly in the first place, which then opens the legal Pandora's Box.

They have utterly and absolutely fucked it, and are being found out. And I've got absolutely no clue who I'm gonna vote for now, and have to re-evaluate whether I even want indepencence when I was a nailed-on supporter before. I wouldn't even let Nicola Sturgeon and her team run a tote sheet let alone my country.

FIb-FBYWQAQ4Cdr?format=jpg&name=small

How out of step has the SG been with countries across the globe e.g. Europe, Asia  and Australia?

2 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Nice to see that after the rather curt replies by GazzyB, Goneupby and Spiderpig, some decent people have posted giving good discussion to the matter at hand. 

I said very early in this thread that the SNP have fucked this up big time.

• Like 1

Fans to be allowed in unrestricted under 10k.

Motherwell to grind out a 1-0 away win. 

Ross Tierney with the winner from the bench.

Lets get the fitba back!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I said very early in this thread that the SNP have fucked this up big time.

Yi canny say that the post I put on was one of the worst ever then, its prompted good debate on the subject, with a fair bit of support for its content. Reverse gear for you GazzyB:D

You posted rambling gibberish, Al B posted an excellent assessment. It's laughable that you think your post and his were even close to similar.

How can I be backtracking if the first thing I posted on the subject was complete agreement that the Scottish Government have made a mess of this? Your feelings are clearly hurt, but I stand by the fact that your contribution to this thread (and others, your bizarre love-in for O'Donnell when Mugabe is a far superior right back for example) has been absolutely minging.

23 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

You posted rambling gibberish, Al B posted an excellent assessment. It's laughable that you think your post and his were even close to similar.

How can I be backtracking if the first thing I posted on the subject was complete agreement that the Scottish Government have made a mess of this? Your feelings are clearly hurt, but I stand by the fact that your contribution to this thread (and others, your bizarre love-in for O'Donnell when Mugabe is a far superior right back for example) has been absolutely minging.

Can assure you nobody on here can hurt my feelings. I posted facts that thousands can go everywhere else bar football, plus if you watched her broadcast she did constantly look at her watch etc, if there not facts your need to be worried about your sanity. As for Scotlands right sided defender, he is a far superior player to Bevis, who I think had played well this season, but we have now won a few games with O'Donnell playing so that kinda gets that point out the way. Sorry not to agree with you, but does yir mammy know yi post!!!!! PS the fact that you have had to refer to previous posts by me is scary, Stalking!! 

On 1/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Motherwell Daft said:

Hospitals are receiving the standard numbers of people requiring care as expected in any standard December/January and February when hospitals ‘ are every year known to  before the virus be very busy.

Aye, deploying the army is merely provocative 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Aye, deploying the army is merely provocative 

Hopefully the armed forces will cope with all the pressure being heaped on to them just now.

Why are many hospitals not coping? Its a complex situation and I just don't know. How do the numbers stack up compared to the early days of the pandemic? I'd guess less patients in intensive care. However many staff are off sick and or are isolating so its hard to gauge. The pandemic is like the straw thats breaking the camel's back. Long running issues coming home to roost.

On 1/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, ropy said:

How out of step has the SG been with countries across the globe e.g. Europe, Asia  and Australia?

Well, Australia are marching to the beat of their own drum at the moment it would seem. 

So any news on Sondre's availability?  Him and Ojala have both had a pretty poor run of luck with injuries since arriving but both have looked good signings when they have played.

Also any word on Lamie's situation?  If he's fit and a league one side want him I think we've enough at centre back to let him move on and free up a wage, assuming Sondre and Ojala are both back fit.

Different takes on international situation. I  certainly go with the First Minister of Wales who is clear in his view that it is the Westminster government that is the " outlier" when compared to other countries ( including Scotland). He adds that Johnson as seen by his disregard of the advice of scientists and medical experts who advocate the retention or increase in restrictions does not regard the health of English people as his priority but rather keeping his backbenchers happy .

The next few days should be interesting.

Hopefully Drakeford will be dribbling about Scotland being an outlier tomorrow. 

This is the guy who made it illegal to buy underwear from a supermarket during the first lockdown. We are not talking about a great intellect.

50 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hopefully Drakeford will be dribbling about Scotland being an outlier tomorrow. 

This is the guy who made it illegal to buy underwear from a supermarket during the first lockdown. We are not talking about a great intellect.

I'm sure he won some poll last year about being the most boring person in Britain.

Anyways cannae wait till tomorrow to see if I need to cancel my hotel booking in Inverness next Tuesday.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

I'm sure he won some poll last year about being the most boring person in Britain.

Anyways cannae wait till tomorrow to see if I need to cancel my hotel booking in Inverness next Tuesday.

I can see the restrictions being lifted but not before the 17th as the gov stated when they were applied so don't think it will be in time for the games next week, 

27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I can see the restrictions being lifted but not before the 17th as the gov stated when they were applied so don't think it will be in time for the games next week, 

Aye I know it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

Conflicting information everywhere you look doesn't help

I think we’ll see a return to full attendances for Ross County away. 

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I think we’ll see a return to full attendances for Ross County away. 

I hope so GazzyB.  I would hate to miss the Morton Cup tie and possibly Hibs at home. Would cost the club quite a bit of money too. 

The data on numbers of infections shows the current restrictions are having little impact compared to down south where there are none.

Conflicting stories everywhere this morning where I have read Jason Leitch supposedly admit restrictions on football are having no real meaningful impact but should still stay in place.  God knows what to make of that if true !