Scottish Cup - Morton at Fir Park 22 Jan

Welldaft Mk1

4 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

That's what the cup is all about, unbelievable scenes at the end.

We were poor today, not shocking, but nowhere near good/quick enough. We need to sort ourselves out before a huge game on Wednesday night.

Based on what I saw from Hibs earlier in the week, Wednesday's game has 0 - 0 written all over it.

(So expect a 7 goal thriller)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We were poor today, not shocking, but nowhere near good/quick enough. We need to sort ourselves out before a huge game on Wednesday night.

I'd agree with that overall.  I thought we were often doing the right things in the game, just 1, 2, 3 seconds later than we should be.  Players taking far too many touches before releasing the ball and of course our delivery into the box was shite.

I said before the game that I was a bit worried about our lack of a out and out striker and I think today justified my concerns.  I thought Shields and Roberts did well enough but they need someone between them that can put the ball into the net.  For me, we absolutely have to bring a striker in because we only really have Van Veen.

Full backs were terrible today and are a weak area of the team in a more general sense.

And nothing changed my mind about the Donnelly/Maguire situation.  Donnelly got the winning goal but overall I'd still pick Maguire and bring Slattery back in.

Not a great performance today, thought our midfield today was dreadful, too many of the same player, too slow in reacting to second balls, passing was abysmal. How many times did one of our midfield pass to a blue jersey.

Tierney looked bright when he came on which is the only midfield plus point for me.

There are three or four guys in that team that need to take a serious look at themselves.

On to Wednesday and hopefully a better reaction.

First of all we are through which is main thing.  After  Tuesday I expected team freshened up and a better performance but alas no.  GA got team wrong today but fortunately didn't cost us.   He was the hero but before that Donnelly was poor and shouldn't start on Wed.  Our 2 full backs are shocking though mcginley slightly better today but that isn't saying much, said it before but what does woolery actually bring to the team? One good performance v dun utd but that's been it.   Tierney looks a find and I would throw him on Wednesday.   Big improvement required, COYW

39 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I dont see it with Maguire I think Slattery is more effective,

I’m the same, the midfield 3 used in the last two games are an absolute disaster and I would only be moving forward with Goss. 

1 minute ago, Andy H said:

Dandies, I'll take that

Just now, mfc said:

Boring draw,for as shit as we were today,there's nothing to fear playing aberdeen at home.

We’ll need to play considerably better than we did today if we are to get past them. We’ll also need to considerably improve our Cup performances against top flight sides as our record in that respect is diabolical. 

Anyone saying “nothing to fear here, this will be easy” is kidding themselves.

Just now, MJC_mkII said:

We’ll need to play considerably better than we did today if we are to get past them. We’ll also need to considerably improve our Cup performances against top flight sides as our record in that respect is diabolical. 

There is nothing to fear from playing aberdeen,that's just a fact.

2 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Aberdeen  are bang average, they are so far having a worse season than us, nobody said it would be easy but we have nothing to fear from them, we've already beaten them in the league recently so we are more than capable of repeating it in the cup.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

There is nothing to fear from playing aberdeen,that's just a fact.

Okay perhaps not Aberdeen themselves as they are a very ordinary side, but maybe it would be more accurate to say that we should fear ourselves and our dismal record in Cup ties against top flight sides.

4 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

we will have our best gosl scoring option,         playing for them,  step up        BIG joe {butter fingers shite the bed}   lewis :cheers:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Really, I’m quite happy with that. Should be a decent crowd and we usually do well against them. 

It should be a good crowd and I hope that the TV companies leave this one alone and it’s played at 3pm on the Saturday.

But “we usually do well against them”? Not in Cup ties we don’t. I know we beat them at Hampden in the 2018 semi final but they had a habit of knocking us out of the Cup in the early 2010s when we were significantly better than them and had their number in league matches.

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Aberdeen  are bang average, they are so far having a worse season than us, nobody said it would be easy but we have nothing to fear from them, we've already beaten them in the league recently so we are more than capable of repeating it in the cup.

No arguments from me about them being bang average. However as I said above, under McCall a decade ago we were unbeaten in the league against them for in seven games yet they managed to come to Fir Park and knock us out of the Scottish cup in back to back seasons - actually twice in the same calendar year so our league record against them will have no bearing on this tie.

On paper yes, we are more than capable of beating them but I just do not trust us to do the business in a Scottish cup tie against them.

Aberdeen will be more disappointed with the draw than us. All that needs to be said really.

Deserved fuck all out the game today but at least we saw a bit of fight from the team after going behind. Something that was missing against County. Looking forward to seeing Tierney play more, looks like he will add a lot of attacking ability to the midfield. 

Defo think we need another striker.  Back up options are not good enough to maintain our season.