Motherwell v Hibs 26/01/2022

SteelmaninOZ

21 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Need a striker in ASAP

100% this. Losing Watt - the one player who was a creative threat for us up front - was a hammer blow and unless we replace him then we are going to struggle big time for goals.

25 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

100% this. Losing Watt - the one player who was a creative threat for us up front - was a hammer blow and unless we replace him then we are going to struggle big time for goals.

Yep defo agree,  especially when KVV will no doubt have another suspension at some point.  We have no other out and out strikers

2 hours ago, The African said:

Isn’t it two points from a possible nine against Hibs this season? Not such a great return really, and this current Hibs side look as bereft of ideas and skill as we do.

Playing the final minutes with ten men might put a gloss on the result, but ultimately it is another poor performance and we need to find something to shake us out of this post break decline.

Yep for some reason I 'remembered' a win at Easter Road.  Was that last season then?

Anyway the games against Hibs have been pretty tight.  If anyone deserved to win tonight it was us but the Donnelly red card pretty much put an end to that.

I'm not a big fan of the midwinter break in general, the Covid situation probably justified it this season, but you can see we are off the pace and Hibs were even worse.  I thought we were better than against Morton in terms of tempo but it's going to take probably four or five matches to get back to December levels.

• Thanks 1

Bringing in a striker is an excellent idea. The problem will be finding one who, a) is currently available, b) is within our budget, c) wants to come to Fir Park and d) is not such a speculative punt with a less than fifty percent chance of coming off. I have no doubt that our management are looking, but I will also be understanding if they cannot find someone and we have to make do with what we currently have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Need a striker in ASAP couldn’t be believe we could be as bad as Saturday but we were . Hopefully with Donnelly being out we can change the midfield and get some football played . It was a long night so a point was welcome 

I thought Shields and Roberts were fine on Saturday but they needed someone between them.

Tonight they had a striker between them but they were both poor.

Given the general inconstancy of our players it's going to take more than two matches to find out what our best line up is post Watt.

I think we do need to bring someone in though because without van Veen we don't really have anyone you'd be comfortable with through the middle.

5 hours ago, The African said:

Bringing in a striker is an excellent idea. The problem will be finding one who, a) is currently available, b) is within our budget, c) wants to come to Fir Park and d) is not such a speculative punt with a less than fifty percent chance of coming off. I have no doubt that our management are looking, but I will also be understanding if they cannot find someone and we have to make do with what we currently have.

most likely option is a striker who's been out injured at a much higher level than the SPL and needs game time.   This is in the very difficult bucket .

Alternative is just move to a 4-5-1.   KVV at the striker (or Shields when KVV is out) We have plenty of defenders and midfielders but a lack of quality in the front 3. 

A decent point but the game was there for the taking and it seemed like we were going to push for the win with our subs until Donnelly's stupidity. It's a point gained on Hearts and Aberdeen this week. 

Our attack is toothless at the moment and we need a new striker. I doubt Connor Shields would start for anyone else in the league and he's been miles off the standard the past two games. That should be a Polworth moment for Donnelly, he's not fit enough to play the holding role and he's too poor on the ball for the position he's played the last three games. Good luck at your next club Liam. 

GA needs to get more out the bench. 66 minutes for Shields, was anyone thinking after 55 we need another 11 minutes of what he was bringing? Donnelly totally ineffective, towing a caravan and on a yellow, he could have came off any time in the 15 minutes before he got himself sent off. If Plan A results in 2 shots on target we need a plan B. 

The positives were the defence was solid and Carroll looks comfortable. Maguire is immense without the ball it's just a shame he's not better on it. 

Shaun Maloney is like a mini Gannon trying to get Hibs to score the perfect goal playing out the back despite it being about 1000-1 shot of coming off. That's 1 goal in three games verus Celtic, Cove and us and no shots on target last night in front of a decent away support. They got good money for Boyle but they will find it hard to replace him and I can see their fans not having much patience with Maloney's tactics if they don't get a result soon.  

6 hours ago, The African said:

Is the last day of the transfer window not now officially called ‘Devante Cole loan day’?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a great game, I thought Alexander played up our performance but the conditions played a part as they were always going to do. The defence as a whole played well but midfield is still a mistake, I take it Slattery is not fully fit. Tierney needs time which is fair enough but I still don’t get why Shaw is still playing a bit part unless it’s again due to a lack of fitness. As above we desperately need another striker, Watt is badly missed. One player who is just getting better and better though is Goss, he’s gone from being really ineffective to a crucial player that will start interesting other clubs if he continues the way he’s going.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

most likely option is a striker who's been out injured at a much higher level than the SPL and needs game time.   This is in the very difficult bucket .

Alternative is just move to a 4-5-1.   KVV at the striker (or Shields when KVV is out) We have plenty of defenders and midfielders but a lack of quality in the front 3. 

Lack of quality all over the pitch nobody with any decent skill and nobody to carry the ball with any pace . Should be doing what the jam tarts have done getting a prospect from England till end of season surely GA has contacts down there 

Agree with needing another striker. What about Charles Cook at ross county he's scored 9 this season and is better than shields. I think he would slot right in watts position left of front 3. Would county accept the money we got for watt plus salary we offered him? Got to be worth a shout but I like others on here have no idea of what he's on or what county would be looking for.

• Like 1

The opening game of the season was really exciting despite the final score, this fixture on the other hand was horrendous to say the least. The weather was obviously a massive hindrance to the proceedings and I think come half time you felt a 0-0 would be on the cards, even when Donnelly was sent off I didn't feel Hibs threatened at all. The tackle for the sending off happened right in front of me, I actually felt like Donnelly won the ball and it appeared that the Hibs player went to ground via his own momentum when he tried to kick it and Donnelly blocked it, in saying that it was a silly decision by Donnelly to fly into a challenge when he was on a yellow, it would be interesting to see that incident again but don't think I can stomach the highlights.  Newell had 6 fouls and never merited a talking too. Van Veen should have buried his chance in the first half. 

In recent months I have enjoyed limiting the likes of Hearts and Hibs to heehaw chances at Fir Park. Anyway it'll be interesting to see where we are come Monday evening in regards to the team.

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Not a great game, I thought Alexander played up our performance but the conditions played a part as they were always going to do. The defence as a whole played well but midfield is still a mistake, I take it Slattery is not fully fit. Tierney needs time which is fair enough but I still don’t get why Shaw is still playing a bit part unless it’s again due to a lack of fitness. As above we desperately need another striker, Watt is badly missed. One player who is just getting better and better though is Goss, he’s gone from being really ineffective to a crucial player that will start interesting other clubs if he continues the way he’s going.

Pretty much my view Yorky. When I saw the line up at 7.30 I was happy to settle for a point. Hibs, were no great shakes and there for the ebating but Shaun Maloney would have said the same about us.  Given we finished with 10 men, I was reasonably happy at full time. I think Macey had one save and Kelly had none. That says it all. The weather was horrific and that played its part. Defensively we were largely ok but were vulnerable down the exposed wings. O'Donnell had a shaky first 45 and got on the wrong side of his opponent 3 or 4 times; fortunately that wasn't costly. Sondre Solheim had a great game. Of late we've not been shipping many goals at Fir park. Lets hope that continues.

Midfield was once again largely anonymous with little creativity and lack of support for our front men.  Goss was the best of the bunch.  GA was right to substitute Tierney to manage out the game when down to 10 men. Time to try options than Donnelly and Maguire, and we have them.

Up front the "strikers" had an off night with Van Veen missing a first half sitter. As with last Saturday, they just didn't link up and ploughed 3 separate furrows. We're missing Watt  badly. Only other short term option is to drop the 4-3-3- formation.

Andrew Dallas failed to control the game as evidenced by 2 incidents involving the remarkably unbooked Bushiri. First time he was injured off the pitch then got up to enter it again in order to fall down. Secondly, he was injured off the pitch but Dallas saw fit to stop play until he recovered. Donnelly gave him " a decision to make" what ever that means, and he took it. McGinn  also gave him a decision to make when he wiped out Roberts on the edge of the box within sight of goal and he didn't take it. 

On the positive side we showed grit and determination to see out the game when a man short.

I think we looked even more comfortable with 10 men. We sacrificed attacking and since we were toothless we didn’t loose much. In fact I think we were attacking better since we had more in midfield an were win u g the all more often and in better positions. Comes back again to a midfield 3 versus going to 4 in midfield.   

After the sending off,I was happy enough with a point but for me it still feels like another opportunity missed,we were poor but hibs were even worse than us.weve passed up two real opportunities between last night and the ross county game.defensively last night we were fine,mcginley was solid enough,his distribution in the second half at times was woeful but that was his best game for a while,carroll wasn't put under much pressure but I really don't fancy him in there for games when we're going to be defending more than we did last night,sondre was class and like mcginley, odonnell had a fairly solid game.

The midfield is a real issue,the three that started last night just can't play together,goss has been good of late but we can't have maguire and donnelly in the team at the same time,there far to slow in possession which just stifles any momentum.we could get away with one of them playing it simple and moving the ball onto other players but we can't have one slow player passing it to another.im guessing it's the managers instruction but atleast one of the midfield three needs to start getting forward and supporting van veen and getting beyond,we need the midfield to keep the opposition guessing by making forward runs,having three defensive side of the ball just isn't working.

My last point about our midfield leads me onto our forwards,roberts is dropping to far back to try and pick the ball up,there was so many times last night, especially in the first half he was picking the ball up about the half way line and having to much do then after,we need him on the ball in more threatening areas.van veen and shields were quiet last night and just highlights how we need another option up front,hopefully we get someone in.

None of the other teams have seen to come back from the break on fire,so theres definitely no need for us to panic,I think if we can get another striker in and a wee tweak in midfield,we will be just fine.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I think we looked even more comfortable with 10 men. We sacrificed attacking and since we were toothless we didn’t loose much. In fact I think we were attacking better since we had more in midfield an were win u g the all more often and in better positions. Comes back again to a midfield 3 versus going to 4 in midfield.   

I've included this quote because I agree texan is on to something.  I think Roberts put in a good shift last night and chased after the ball. KVV and Shields had to play off scraps. I think we will look stronger in attack if we play a stronger midfield. I hope the reason Slattery is being used sparingly at present is Covid/illness related. It's a popular opinion that Maguire and Donnelly should not form 66% of our midfield. Slattery offers more of a threat, both in shutting down opposition and passing forward. I can see Tierney being used as an impact sub as he develops further. Last night, we caught a brief glimpse of Liam Shaw. OK, it was just the last few minutes, and against a tiring Hibs midfield. However, his physique and movement almost got his head on the end of a cross in the final minute. Now Donnelly is out for definite, let's see what improvement there is to creating more opportunities for our attackers.

I had actually forgot about it at the time but Maguire put in an epic challenge near the end of the game on Wednesday night. Demetri Mitchell was showing how fast he was as he tore up the wing past Slattery, but just before he nipped by someone else Barry came roaring in with a lovely robust challenge and Mitchell felt some flying that he wouldn't have experienced before. Perfectly fair challenge, I'll give credit to the Hibs guy for getting straight back up as his team mates Macey and Bushiri were quite cringeworthy with their antics.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pretzel said:

I had actually forgot about it at the time but Maguire put in an epic challenge near the end of the game on Wednesday night. Demetri Mitchell was showing how fast he was as he tore up the wing past Slattery, but just before he nipped by someone else Barry came roaring in with a lovely robust challenge and Mitchell felt some flying that he wouldn't have experienced before. Perfectly fair challenge, I'll give credit to the Hibs guy for getting straight back up as his team mates Macey and Bushiri were quite cringeworthy with their antics.

That someone else was our esteemed captain who shit himself from putting Mitchell in the stand.