Hearts v Motherwell 29/01/2022

Wishielad

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

We've played some neat stuff today but a combination of lack of creativity in and around the box and gifting goals away means that 4th place is likely beyond us now.

In our last 3 league games I can only think of one or two clear cut chances for us. It's just not good enough.

Who do you think is a stick on to overtake us?

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We've played some neat stuff today but a combination of lack of creativity in and around the box and gifting goals away means that 4th place is likely beyond us now.

In our last 3 league games I can only think of one or two clear cut chances for us. It's just not good enough.

We had the chances today but fluffed them big time when we were on top.

Frustrating day tbh, first half I felt we were the better side, Van Veen had two great chances, the header should have been buried. It's just annoying that we handed them those three points gift wrapped. Well games are coming thick and fast, St Midden on Tuesday night followed by Celtic on Saturday. We could really do with the three points midweek, thankfully Bobby Madden isn't the ref so no dodgy decisions.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, MJC_mkII said:

2-0 defeat, same as our last visit there.

Thank you.

Another dismal and toothless performance. It’s going to be a long, long second half of the season and to be honest it’s difficult to see where our next win comes from. The only hope is that Aberdeen do their usual no show against us in the league because that is the only up and coming fixture I can see us winning.

• Sad 3

Really poor second half the midfield disappeared went back to punts(hopeful) up the park with nothing to show for it again. We became even more spineless when going for the ball. KVV and Roberts need to be benched for a bit. A formation change is also needed with a diamond in midfield to allow for greater support in attack as well as defending. GA needs to have a long hard look at his tactics as well as install belief in trying to fight and win football games. Previous stats/results count for nothing. This shower were not good enough again

8 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Thank you.

Another dismal and toothless performance. It’s going to be a long, long second half of the season and to be honest it’s difficult to see where our next win comes from. The only hope is that Aberdeen do their usual no show against us in the league because that is the only up and coming fixture I can see us winning.

Quoting your own miserable pre game prediction to say "look, I told you so!" is pathetic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Quoting your own miserable pre game prediction to say "look, I told you so!" is pathetic.

My own miserable pre game prediction which turned out to be absolutely spot on? Right you are, if that is pathetic then so be it, but it’s also very sad at just how predictable we are just now.

Not the best start to the second half of the league but I think if you look at the individual results there is nothing catastrophic there.  Hearts are by some distance 3rd best in the league and Ross County are in form right now.

The worrying thing is we've not scored in 90 minutes in 3 out of 4 matches since the season restart and it's glaringly obvious that we need a striker in.

I've generally been a supporter of Alexander but I feel like this might be a moment where he needs to make the right decision about bringing a player in or else risk the good work he's done so far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Erskine Alpha said:

Waiting on the excuses from GA after this one and the we weren't good enough chat should be shelved with him holding his hands up to say his tactics and personnel choices were wrong. I like GA but he needs to offer something more that "we are building" nonsense. Long term plans are great but so are short term plans/results

The last 3 games are partly down to Alexander in my view, but he’s done very well overall and I would expect him to learn and bounce back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I thought we played better than any of the previous 3 games but not making enough chances and so we need to take the ones we do make and somehow up our attacking threat. Still in 4th but obviously need to start picking up points to stay there 

That my well be true in terms of performance but still not good enough to maintain a top six finish or even a top eight finish

I don't think it was as bad as many are making out here, we pressed well created changes on another day we take a chance and its a different game Hearts hit us with the quick break which with a high press is always a possibility. IMO we are missing Bevis. Thought Sol was looking a bit leggy today but were at the bare bones at CB.

Need to give Tierney some time started brightly but fell out the match. 

Also they scored after Mcguire has to go off, Perhaps some will get off his back now

10 minutes ago, Erskine Alpha said:

Waiting on the excuses from GA after this one and the we weren't good enough chat should be shelved with him holding his hands up to say his tactics and personnel choices were wrong. I like GA but he needs to offer something more that "we are building" nonsense. Long term plans are great but so are short term plans/results

I’ve no idea how he will try and dress that one up, though some of his recent post match interviews have been head scratching stuff. 

What I will say though is that questions should be being asked of the manager of why there is so little football being played by that team. It’s not just today, we were poor against Hibs and dismal against Morton and County. We create next to nothing, don’t look like scoring goals and are once again losing goals due to us surrendering possession cheaply.

What’s our plan for the rest of the season? Because right now it looks like we intend to try and shitfest our way through matches and hope for the best.

To give things a bit of perspective, before kickoff most of us thought the line up was positive and could be the one to cause hearts problems. We were arguably the better team in the first half up until their soft goal. We then lost Maguire to injury which like him or not meant we lost any bite in the middle that we had until then. KVV isn't the man to lead the line at the front that's clear but fingers crossed he'll be a good foil for the new guy coming in. Another positive in that Tierney had another decent game. He'll only get better with time but we have to give him the ball to feet, too many times the ball was punted over his head. 

Entirely predictable result, but disappointing nonetheless. We're fortunate that rivals also lost today. I doubt if the game told us anything we didn't know before although we hadn't seen much of Tierney and Shaw before - how did they play? Did we shape up 4-3-3?

I'll watch the game later on Alba to form my own conclusions. 

10 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I don't think it was as bad as many are making out here, we pressed well created changes on another day we take a chance and its a different game Hearts hit us with the quick break which with a high press is always a possibility. IMO we are missing Bevis. Thought Sol was looking a bit leggy today but were at the bare bones at CB.

Need to give Tierney some time started brightly but fell out the match. 

Also they scored after Mcguire has to go off, Perhaps some will get off his back now

I agree with your Tierney point and I reckon he will continue to get better. With regards to pressing well I don't, we pressed the ball with sometimes 2-3 players and not one broke the play up and on  rare occasions that we did we lost it immediately. So yes we pressed but not well and more often than not the hearts player skipped away with relative ease.

Sol has the attributes to be decent but often makes poor decisions maybe the manager being a former defender should have a word with him

Felt at the game like we were doing ok up to a point in the first half., moving the ball better than we had done but sometimes just overplayed it or final ball was lacking. Van Veen missed the two chances we really created in the first half, has to hit the target from both. Defensive calamities at both goals, the most frustrating thing is that Hearts didn't have to work hard for their goals. 

Individual wise, thought Shaw looked OK if not a massive upgrade on what we have. Tierney will be a player once he gets used to the league. Sol, I thought had his poorest game for us, perhaps suffering from being the only fit proper centre back we have, having to do too much. Van Veen 8s erratic and Roberts needs to learn to take fewer touches. Don't start me on Goss... 

Oh, and McGinlay had a decent game...

Tynecastle is never easy. We played reasonably well but lost to a Hearts team with a budget that dwarfs ours. People need to calm down a bit. We need to create more chances and cut out silly mistakes. Try and remember what the team was like this time last year...