Hearts v Motherwell 29/01/2022

Wishielad

We're struggling in front of goals at the minute,the last thing we want to be doing is gifting the opposition goals like we did today,it's always going to be an uphill task getting back into games with the lack of goals in the team right now.if there's money in the budget to bring another striker in then we simply have to,we've put ourselves in a good position to throw it all away.i was pleased to see the changes in the line up today but alexander needs to find and stick to a settled team selection.

19 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Felt at the game like we were doing ok up to a point in the first half., moving the ball better than we had done but sometimes just overplayed it or final ball was lacking. Van Veen missed the two chances we really created in the first half, has to hit the target from both. Defensive calamities at both goals, the most frustrating thing is that Hearts didn't have to work hard for their goals. 

Individual wise, thought Shaw looked OK if not a massive upgrade on what we have. Tierney will be a player once he gets used to the league. Sol, I thought had his poorest game for us, perhaps suffering from being the only fit proper centre back we have, having to do too much. Van Veen 8s erratic and Roberts needs to learn to take fewer touches. Don't start me on Goss... 

Oh, and McGinlay had a decent game...

Tynecastle is never easy. We played reasonably well but lost to a Hearts team with a budget that dwarfs ours. People need to calm down a bit. We need to create more chances and cut out silly mistakes. Try and remember what the team was like this time last year...

I am pretty much on board with this POV. 

Although I am worried that we are missing Watt more than we care to admit.

Van Veen has missed a few opportunities in the last two games. May not have made a difference but you never know. 

I think we need 3 points from St Mirren away or we will likely not even b top 6 by the time we play the bottom half of the league. As I cannot see us taking much from Old Firm and have United and Aberdeen which will both be tough games. You could see us taking anything from 6 points to 1 or Zero from that run. 

Would have taken top 6 start of the season. I am starting to think Europe is a forlorn hope. In saying that Hibs and Aberdeen are hardly setting the heather on fire. Think Maloney was a poor appointment and although early days they are struggling more than us !

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

This is where he really gets on my nerves. Does he think we are all daft?  Get a reality check GA

I dont agree we were the better team but there wasn't an awful lot between the teams except for our usual habit of gifting the opposition piss easy goals. Hearts were bang average and there for the taking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

KVV needs a boot in the hole.. pisses about trying to be too clever , rarely plays the easy ball .

You could tell from his reaction to missing the first chance that we were going to get heehaw out him today. 

Hopefully he picks on up Tuesday night. 

Not one to post often on here and I'm not trying to intentionally seek a response, but it Solholm, for arguments sake, had a Scottish surname, how would people view him? In a wider point I'm a bit concerned that we paid an undisclosed fee for him (even although he was moving to Scotland anyway due to his partner completing her masters at Glasgow University) and yet we let Lamie, who is a significantly more competent centre half,  leave the club. Not sure our new scouting system has delivered any sellable assets

7 minutes ago, insrebus said:

Not one to post often on here and I'm not trying to intentionally seek a response, but it Solholm, for arguments sake, had a Scottish surname, how would people view him? In a wider point I'm a bit concerned that we paid an undisclosed fee for him (even although he was moving to Scotland anyway due to his partner completing her masters at Glasgow University) and yet we let Lamie, who is a significantly more competent centre half,  leave the club. Not sure our new scouting system has delivered any sellable assets

Not sure I agree 100% with this but he had a very poor game today and I think he's been slightly overpraised.  Nowhere near the quality of Ojala (albeit Ojala is made of meringue) or even Mugabi. Lamie has come on to a game under Alexander,  I would say he and Sol are of a similar level, not that Lamie is significantly more competent...

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

Not sure I agree 100% with this but he had a very poor game today and I think he's been slightly overpraised.  Nowhere near the quality of Ojala (albeit Ojala is made of meringue) or even Mugabi. Lamie has come on to a game under Alexander,  I would say he and Sol are of a similar level, not that Lamie is significantly more competent...

Over the last 12 months since he was removed from left back, or the left hand side of a 3, Lamie has been our best centre half. If only he had a cool social media presence and could start a song through a megaphone

We were ok in the first half, but continued to make stupid decisions and it cost us. Tierney looked fine but disappeared after 30 mins, he has something about him though, and did more than Roberts, who was innefective. His ability to suck the life out of any attack is uncanny.

Maguire made some mistakes, but him going off seemed to mess us up, and his replacement was directly responsible for the first goal.

Solholm had a poor game, and he seems to find ways to complicate things. I didn't think the full backs were particularly bad. They were asked to press high, and they did that, and we found out why that's not always the best idea. I'm not sure what to make of Carrol, he seems to do a decent job, but we really need Ojala or Bevis back in there.

Van Veen is not a regular starter in a decent team. Strikers miss chances, so I'm not so fussed about that, but his decision making is poor, and he frequently avoids bringing others into play.

I wasn't expecting much from the game, so I'm hardly furious, but I think the reality is that the best we will do is creep into the top six.

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

:doh: Aye come out and slaughter your players in public telling them they were shite etc has always been a good man management tactic, that will get the best out of them.  

No expecting him to slaughter players in public but don’t play the fans for fools A simple that wasn’t good enough and I expect more from the players would do 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, insrebus said:

Lamie is pish. 

He had a few good games but has made plenty of mistakes in his limited game time this season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, claretband said:

Anyone know why Mugabi didn’t play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange that mugabi was on the bench,he's only missed a couple of games so it's not like he wouldn't be match fit.hes been one of our best players this season and to go with carroll there and have mcginley in the team yet again is puzzling.alexander seems to have a tendancy of leaving players out the team for spells at a time after they have been either injured or suspended,we've seen it with carroll and slattery this season already.its time we got our best players into the team and try to go with a settle side if we can.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Lamie is pish. 

He had a few good games but has made plenty of mistakes in his limited game time this season.

At our level, he's not. Your argument is that in limited game time, he's had a few good games, but made plenty of mistakes? I'm immediately drawn to our performances at home against Ross County, Hearts and away to Aberdeen where he performed at a level way above where Solholm has reached. My main argument is that if Lamie was known as Von Lamie we'd be releasing pin badges in honour to him.

Just now, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Lamie has improved for sure but his baseline was very low. SSJ is a better player, although it has to be said he’s had a few poor performances either side of a good one against hibs. 

Lamie is our 4th best centre half for me. 

I agree with that,there's no doubt lamie has improved under alexander and I wouldn't have minded if he had signed a new contract but at the same time we have three centre halfs better than him and he won't be that hard to replace,he's a decent premier League player at best.sondre has been a really good signing for us but like the rest of the team has been poor since coming back from the break,the amount of times he sliced his clearances today was ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Lamie has improved for sure but his baseline was very low. SSJ is a better player, although it has to be said he’s had a few poor performances either side of a good one against hibs. 

Lamie is our 4th best centre half for me. 

1 minute ago, mfc said:

I agree with that,there's no doubt lamie has improved under alexander and I wouldn't have minded if he had signed a new contract but at the same time we have three centre halfs better than him and he won't be that hard to replace,he's a decent premier League player at best.sondre has been a really good signing for us but like the rest of the team has been poor since coming back from the break,the amount of times he sliced his clearances today was ridiculous.

Sorry, having been to nearly every game this season I would love to know the games that Solhom was convincing? He's okay in the air, however has no presence or positional sense, absolutely no pace and his ability when in possession is not of the standard that is required in the SPFL. He surrendering of possession that ultimately led to the 2nd goal today sums up his limited ability.

3 minutes ago, insrebus said:

Sorry, having been to nearly every game this season I would love to know the games that Solhom was convincing? He's okay in the air, however has no presence or positional sense, absolutely no pace and his ability when in possession is not of the standard that is required in the SPFL. He surrendering of possession that ultimately led to the 2nd goal today sums up his limited ability.

I think he's played well in most of the games he's played,I disagree about positional sense,he's impressed me with that side of his game,he isn't the best in possession but he's just a typical old school defender,wants to defend first and foremost.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

I think he's played well in most of the games he's played,I disagree about positional sense,he's impressed me with that side of his game,he isn't the best in possession but he's just a typical old school defender,wants to defend first and foremost.

I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse or flippant, if Solhom is "a typical old school defender", how does that make him a better option than Lamie? I don't want to quote stats, but if you review the points gained dependent on who was playing this season, Lamie is way ahead. That's before we look at goals and assists 

Lamie was fine at CB he got all his bad rep when he was forced to LB and failed miserably. But by the time he got back in the centre most on here had made up their mind that he's shit and it did not matter how he performed some just had it in for him. He's moving on now so good luck to him think it was arranged a while ago but not released AKA Watt debacle