Hearts v Motherwell 29/01/2022

Wishielad

11 hours ago, insrebus said:

So you agree that Lamie is dependable, but Sondre is poor. Carroll was the better centre half today and he is the out of favour left back. What an absolute farrago of nonsense our club is, directed by an egotistical fraudster who claims that we were the better team today.

10 hours ago, insrebus said:

GPS stats doesn't back the mobility stat up and you admit that his possession / distribution is poorer than Lamie. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a banger here, but people are replying to my posts accepting that Solholm is poorer than Lamie, but Solholm is great. Bizarre.

So we get that you don’t like Sol ..most people including myself think he is an upgrade on Lamie ...

And you think the manger is a fraud ...ah well , each to there own....

What would you like him to say directly after a game exactly ??...think about it....

Deary me ....bizarre....

11 hours ago, insrebus said:

You can access the GPS stats quite easily and I first posted many years ago.  Interestingly you don't mention any of Solholms errors this season. 

Where do you find the GPS stats? I’d be interested in taking a look.

Just watched the entire game on Alba. We had a bit of pressure in the first 45 but we huffed and puffed to create anything did not look dangerous. Hearts were the more dangerous side even before they scored. They also worked harder off the ball. Kelly's booking? Ridiculously harsh from a jobsworth referee, but we've had them given against us before and will do so again. Kelly should learn not to trust referees in these situations.

Hearts first goal. I wouldn't blame Sol too much as he had 3 Hearts players snapping at his heels. He could have done better yes. However, the real fault for me was the space and time Halliday was given on our right side. Who was meant to be covering him?? He had the freedom of Tynecastle to tuck the ball away.

Second goal - yes Shaw lost it in midfield (by no means the only player to do this in the game) but again who was marking Simms? Sol was on the wrong side and wasn't covering anyone. He was more at fault for the second than the first I reckon.

At first sight it might seem like individual errors cost us but it went deeper than that.  For a variety of reasons, poor defensive play all round by our defence and midfield. Having saisd that the best we could have hoped for was a 0-0 draw.

A bad day at the office but we move on and regroup. 

Re Lamie/ Sondre chat this is as good a discussion as I've read for a while on this site.

As a contribution and from a very informed source at the club who I trust,  the simple explanation is that GA does not rate Lamie . Remember GA did not sign Lamie . Therefore the Lamie/ Sondre debate is  I feel pretty academic.

Same source claims that GA wished to punt Watt last summer and that despite TW's greatly improved form their ' frosty' relationship ensured Watt's departure.

As for Kelly's booking yesterday I think this was because he threw the ball away.

4 hours ago, livivoice said:

Same source claims that GA wished to punt Watt last summer and that despite TW's greatly improved form their ' frosty' relationship ensured Watt's departure.

I heard that as well, even before the season started… so Watt’s great form might have been at least partly as a ‘get it up you, I’ll show you’.

49 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Risky chance for the manager to take if TW form puts Dundee Utd on a solid footing and us on a slide. 

It's only risky if you think TW was willing to keep it up all season... sounds quite likely he'd have taken the huff if he didn't get a move this window anyway.

19 hours ago, insrebus said:

And his defence splitting 40 yard diagonal pass against Ross County for Tony Watt in September, which ultimately won us a game that we were poor in

yip i knew that would be your comback,,,,,, 1/20 is not a bad average,,,, maybe he will become a  better player under that  stalwart defender james mc pake 

21 hours ago, ropy said:

Who is it for the benefit of?

The players, always the players. A manager should never publicly criticise his staff. That's for behind closed doors. Interviews are designed with a view to keeping the players on side and to avoid an unhappy camp. 

• Like 1

It strikes me that, the way GA deals with the media doesnt do him any favours. He never reveals any information about injuries, and he never criticises the players individually in public or gives the media any bones to chew on. I totally respect his discipline in doing so, as he clearly feels he needs to do everything in his power to deny the opposition any advantage and to try and extract some advantage for our team. However, as a fan, I find it very frustrating as I feel a lot of our support would cut him more slack if they knew some of the issues he is having to deal with behind the scenes. 

As for the game, I thought we were  competitive first half and played a bit more football in midfield than normal, with Slattery and Shaw showing a bit more quality in that area than we have seen of late. It was interesting in the post match interview that GA felt the need to say he would trade that for the 3 points. As much of an insight into his own thought process and tactics as we have had from him.

The Kelly booking is just so typical of Scottish refereeing. Totally pedantic and unecessary when a word would have done.

The first goal is a collective clusterf#ck with no one taking responsibility to clear the ball but all getting dragged towards it leaving Halliday totally unmarked. Goss looked most culpable as he had the best chance to boot it away, but in truth its badly defended as a team. I thought the turning point was Maguire going off injured. He gave a solidity that allowed Slattery and Shaw to go play, which disappeared when Goss came on.  This is Maguires value to the team imho.  

2nd half our press wasnt as effective and Hearts had more of the play. I still felt we looked dangerous on the counter and it would have been interesting to see how Hearts woud have responded if we could have equalised.

The 2nd goal and the one that should gave resulted in a 3rd that was cleared off the line was again collectively bad defending albeit it exposed some individuals more than others.

In short, we did a lot of good things, but we still have a lot to work on and Hearts still look closer to the finished article than we do at the moment.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You are correct.  Only issue is that rule isn't enforced every day of the week...

That's the biggest bugbear for me regarding Scottish referees, I've accepted they're pish but it's the consistency that I find frustrating, even with the same refs in the same games it seems they just make it up as they go.  Kelly throws it a short distance away on Saturday and gets a yellow minutes into the match, on Sunday Allan McGregor goes out his way to pick the ball up and punts it well down the pitch to waste time and not a word is spoken.

15 minutes ago, pretzel said:

That's the biggest bugbear for me regarding Scottish referees, I've accepted they're pish but it's the consistency that I find frustrating, even with the same refs in the same games it seems they just make it up as they go.  Kelly throws it a short distance away on Saturday and gets a yellow minutes into the match, on Sunday Allan McGregor goes out his way to pick the ball up and punts it well down the pitch to waste time and not a word is spoken.

Agree 100%.

Week in week out  we see players time wasting; booting the ball away  after conceding a foul; taking foul throws; very occasional illegal "passbacks" as on Saturday but only very rarely and randomly are they penalised for it. Either these things are fouls or they aren't. Total inconsistency.

As for Kelly picking up that clearance/booted ball whatever you call it keepers should never pick them up unles there's an opponent nearby.  I've often seen clearances/miskicks etc picked up by our keepers and thought don't trust the referee to make the right decision. Its not the first time we've been penalised this way. 

I’m still undecided if it was deliberate pass back. At first I thought not but after seeing replays a few times I think it was deliberate. Kelly had plenty time to deal with it without picking it up. Unfortunately, We do need to be a bit more aware of the standard of referees and their inconsistency and try to avoid putting ourselves is situations where we fall victim to their inadequacies. I forget if it was last season or before but I recall our goalie getting penalized for 6 second rule. Haven’t seen one since. I do think it’s just a matter of time before a linesman calls handball on Kelly when he is distributing the ball from the box. Again, he doesn’t need to flirt with that issue. KVV needs to also grow a brain or he’s just going to pile up needless yellow cards.