St Mirren v Motherwell 01/02/2022

pretzel

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

As a statto with a spreadsheet I can't express how much I'm against all these additional substitutions.

Back to two on the bench like the old days!

Agreed, there was no better feeling than gaining a point or points with Joe Wark / Stevie Kirk or Jamie Dolan in goals. :yahoo:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I thought concussion subs were just if you had used all your subs.

No they introduced the extra two concussion subs than can be used at anytime without affecting your original allocation. I find it bizarre that because you use a sub for that purpose your opponent then gets another sub as well, ironically enough we  just used the traditional three where St Mirren benefitted from getting the fourth with trying to shore up the defence late on. We could have done with this rule a few years back when we played Killie and lost Dunne, McHugh and Mbulu to headknocks early in the game.

I thought Tait was really naughty with his challenge on Donnelly, a former team mate who knew fine well of his previous injury issues, a tad scumbaggery if you ask me. Between Tait and Dunne it was nice to see them play their part in our equaliser.

The game was much better than the Hibernian affair last midweek but still a tough watch, I felt we controlled the game from the 20 minute mark, it wasn't until the last 15 mins or so until they started to ask questions and typically they managed to get ahead. Slattery was unlucky not to win a penalty, really frustrating when you think of the three they have gotten over the past 12 months.  Delighted for Ross with the goal, well taken effort, the young chap has made a great impression the past few weeks.

Just a moan from me but St Mirren really are a club I dislike, they have always gotten the benefit of the doubt with weird decisions when we have played them, from ending up with 9 players in a Scottish Cup tie in the early 00s or McManus ruled to have handled in the box when it hit his face, denied a stone wall penalty at the last game at Love St when the ref was certainly not out to ruin their day or the weird Bobby Madden decisions lately. Anyway it was nice to see the highlights back and see Goodwin in pain as our goal nestled in the back of the net.

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Was having a look at our goals this season and previous to last night's 92nd minute equalizer the latest goal we'd scored was 80 minutes.

Bit surprising given how many goals are scored late in games. 

I think that's one of the aspects that have improved under GA keeping going in games to either see them out, get an equaliser or winner etc, under Robinson at the end we would have lost games like that, and the Morton Cup game.

44 minutes ago, maz said:

I thought Tait was really naughty with his challenge on Donnelly, a former team mate who knew fine well of his previous injury issues, a tad scumbaggery if you ask me. Between Tait and Dunne it was nice to see them play their part in our equaliser.

The game was much better than the Hibernian affair last midweek but still a tough watch, I felt we controlled the game from the 20 minute mark, it wasn't until the last 15 mins or so until they started to ask questions and typically they managed to get ahead. Slattery was unlucky not to win a penalty, really frustrating when you think of the three they have gotten over the past 12 months.  Delighted for Ross with the goal, well taken effort, the young chap has made a great impression the past few weeks.

Just a moan from me but St Mirren really are a club I dislike, they have always gotten the benefit of the doubt with weird decisions when we have played them, from ending up with 9 players in a Scottish Cup tie in the early 00s or McManus ruled to have handled in the box when it hit his face, denied a stone wall penalty at the last game at Love St when the ref was certainly not out to ruin their day or the weird Bobby Madden decisions lately. Anyway it was nice to see the highlights back and see Goodwin in pain as our goal nestled in the back of the net.

I agree with a lot you say but a bit of credit is due Goodwin who said it would have been a travesty if his team had won last night. Other managers , including GA, are not often as fair minded.

I'm not surprised tait put in a tackle like that last night,I think it was his first game back at fir park after leaving,he done one of our players with a nasty tackle,it was karma his school boy defending cost his team the three points.tierney seems to have settled really quickly,that was a quality finish,it's early days but we might just have won a watch with his signing.

Plenty of positives to take from last night,  a late equaliser,  a first goal from Tierney and also I am going to take a month off from posting anything.  Has just got daft recently culminating in fact I said last night we were still 4th , rivals slipped up and I finished with COYW,  Yet got pelters.  Hey ho, got more important things to think about . Roll on Sunday and dreaming of silencing the green brigade with a famous win....COYW

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Only because I forgot the password for the old one.

My point is, I wasnt pointing the finger at you.  I may not always agree with your opinions, but you rarely play the man instead of the ball! ;)

33 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Plenty of positives to take from last night,  a late equaliser,  a first goal from Tierney and also I am going to take a month off from posting anything.  Has just got daft recently culminating in fact I said last night we were still 4th , rivals slipped up and I finished with COYW,  Yet got pelters.  Hey ho, got more important things to think about . Roll on Sunday and dreaming of silencing the green brigade with a famous win....COYW

Dont stop posting. You make a greater contribution to the forum than some......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maz said:

I feel the same way, although I know its irrational. You can add to that list getting off scot free for breaching Covid guidelines last season and  getting our game postponed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

Nice to see the BBC Sportscene programme highlighting the ridiculous challenge bt Tait. All we need now is the SFA to think that Donnelly is a player with the ugly sisters and then retrospective action will be taken (as in alloa v celtic) As for Goodwins 'We didn't deserve to win summing up' You can bet your bottom dollar if they had held on it would have been 'A thoroughly deserved win' speech. Get it right round you Jim!!!!! 

It's annoying as Carroll got his yellow card bumped up to a red for a similar challenge against Livingston a few years back, it would refreshing to see consistent rules applied here and see him get cited, although the biggest annoyance is if he gets a retrospective red it won't really benefit us, I suppose we can take some sort of comfort that his mistake helped us salvage a point but if they were down to ten men you would have felt confident of getting maximum points. I know what you mean about Goodwin, the fact he said he heard Mugabi kick Erwin for the pen last January was ludicrous not to mention the Solholm one a few month ago. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I feel the same way, although I know its irrational. You can add to that list getting off scot free for breaching Covid guidelines last season and  getting our game postponed. 

Yeah exactly, I also forgot about Jim Goodwin punching Steve Jennings in the stomach as the ref watched on in close proximity only for him to get a yellow, then as what typically happens he went on to score perhaps the best goal of his career to salvage a draw. I know I'm being petty here but out with the Old Firm I thoroughly enjoy visiting all the other clubs in Scotland. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Got himself out of jail , should have scored in the 1st half, generally piss poor display from him tonight.

doesn't look physically ready yet and that's just for going to school but he seems to have game intelligence and If he can chip in with goals like that, I will live with his lack of physique for the time being 

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Dont stop posting. You make a greater contribution to the forum than some......

Absolutely.  The way this forum is going is the pant wetters who speak the loudest win.

It's very simple, we are not abysmal nor are we world beaters. We are fine enough.

We lack cutting edge since we sold our top scorer as any club does.

We are 4th in the league which is better than a club of our budget should be.

We don't play highly attractive football yet I've seen a lot worse.

There is a large amount of people on this forum that

a) Only come on after a defeat.

b) Have a 1 game memory span

c) Can't remember some of our far more guff teams in the past.

d) Have at some point said that every player in our team isn't good enough.

It's a forum these guys are needed but balanced & as such just now the pant wetters seem in control.

• Like 1

Absolutely.  The way this forum is going is the pant wetters who speak the loudest win.
It's very simple, we are not abysmal nor are we world beaters. We are fine enough.
We lack cutting edge since we sold our top scorer as any club does.
We are 4th in the league which is better than a club of our budget should be.
We don't play highly attractive football yet I've seen a lot worse.
There is a large amount of people on this forum that
a) Only come on after a defeat.
b) Have a 1 game memory span
c) Can't remember some of our far more guff teams in the past.
d) Have at some point said that every player in our team isn't good enough.
It's a forum these guys are needed but balanced & as such just now the pant wetters seem in control.
Agree.

A wee bit of thought being put into posts goes a long way.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfc said:

I'm not surprised tait put in a tackle like that last night,I think it was his first game back at fir park after leaving,he done one of our players with a nasty tackle.

I always remember Jim Hamilton's first match back at Fir Park and virtually on the refs whistle he absolutely smashed Stevie Craigan in the face with an elbow and just flatten him.

Of course if you do that sort of thing in the 1st minute it's the rules that you just get a talking too.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I always remember Jim Hamilton's first match back at Fir Park and virtually on the refs whistle he absolutely smashed Stevie Craigan in the face with an elbow and just flatten him.

Of course if you do that sort of thing in the 1st minute it's the rules that you just get a talking too.

I actually thought about jim hamilton when I was typing that post about tait,he acted like a complete areshole throughout that game where he smashed craigan,he was smiling at the east stand as craggs was on the floor.

26 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Then he got sent off at East End Park for the same thing when we pumped them on Boxing Day. 

Obviously not everyone gets along with their team mates. Maybe Tait and Donnelly have previous. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:54 AM, maz said:

No they introduced the extra two concussion subs than can be used at anytime without affecting your original allocation. I find it bizarre that because you use a sub for that purpose your opponent then gets another sub as well, ironically enough we  just used the traditional three where St Mirren benefitted from getting the fourth with trying to shore up the defence late on. We could have done with this rule a few years back when we played Killie and lost Dunne, McHugh and Mbulu to headknocks early in the game.

The concussion thing got me thinking. Say our player got concussed with 15 minutes to go and we had not used any or only one  of our subs but our opponents had used all their allocation or made three separate changes, could we insist the substitution of our player was routine so as to deny our opponent an additional tactical substitution? 

18 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Remind me exactly how many goals has our ex top scorer scored in his 4 games for his new team ????? 

He's scored 2 goals in his last 10 appearances.

Motherwell 7+0 (2); Dundee Utd 2+1 (0)

I think he was still probably our best player last season when he wasn't scoring either but that early season form this term may have been a career anomaly.

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

The concussion thing got me thinking. Say our player got concussed with 15 minutes to go and we had not used any or only one  of our subs but our opponents had used all their allocation or made three separate changes, could we insist the substitution of our player was routine so as to deny our opponent an additional tactical substitution? 

It would make sense to me that a concussion sub is only invoked if all other substitutions had been utilised.  I know that wasn’t the case on  Tuesday.