Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

Any chance we could forfeit this one?

If Celtic turn up and are on their game they will tear us up for toilet paper and it’ll be anything from 3 to whatever they want - 0.

Even if they aren’t on their game and are below par like they were when we played them at Parkhead then we still won’t have the quality or the bottle to take anything. We won’t lay a glove on them.

0-3

Tom Boyd is a wank.

As much as I'm not a fan of "anti-football," if we go out against this lot and sit back, try to play on the counter, we'll get walloped. 

We need to be in their faces, pressing hard, and dare I say it, putting some added physical pressure on the likes of Hatate and Maeda if he plays. We know how good they are if they're given space and time to do their thing, but we've not seen how they react to a bit of close attention. 

I wouldn't pay too much attention to how the Rangers game went. That was a one-off. The atmosphere, the opponents, the chance to go top. This is still the same team that laboured against Dundee United and Hearts. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see us stick with 3-5-2 for this one but with the two being an actual fucking two instead of Goss/Tierney/Slattery floating in behind KVV. Wouldn't mind seeing Mugabi out RWB but I doubt it'll happen.

-------------------Kelly

------Mugabi----Johansen----Carroll/Ojala

O'Donnell---------------------------------McGinley

---------Slattery-----Shaw-----Goss

----------------KVV---Roberts/Efford

Press them from the start and pray for the best. 2-1, a late late KVV winner.

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Play Beavis up top and batter the dodgy Celtic centre backs and it will suit our hoofball style 

yep im with you on this yodo. He causes problems and we are a team that play off 2nd balls so why not as im sure any balls we can muster into box they would be scared.

What about

Kelly

sod  sol  ojala  carrol  mcginley

donnelly goss 

slattery  van veen

bevis

Basically the same formation as tuesday night where i did feel after first 25 mins we started to get used to shape van veen would be playing where tierney came on and where shaw was before him and him and slattery would have to be told if their full backs push on which they will then it is their responsibility as well as looking for bevis knockdowns..

The middle 3 defenders and 2 sitting midfielders need to be very disciplined and stay in middle.

We play for free kicks and bombard them with high balls every opportunity from wide areas when possible. 

I really think this would work as other than celtics 2 cb they are small all over the pitch. I think everyone in our team would be 6ft.

Plus all you fans that are predicting a gubbing?  I have no idea how you can watch a game of football if you feel that way. If we were playing peak barcelona tomorrow I would still have hope and through no normal reasoning other than I am a football fan and saw loads of shocks over the years. We have been poor v them for a long time but ...............

Cmon it can happen.

We need to play a high press, high energy one to keep this competitive. The one plus is Celtic won't be as pumped up to play us as they were Rangers. They are still the best team in Scotland right now, however, so I'm not expecting much in the way of points.

For anyone living in the US, I see our game is live on CBS Sports at 8:30 EST.

• Thanks 1

Could go either way.

Maybe Celtic are flying, full of confidence and firing on all cylinders in which case it could be a long afternoon for Motherwell fans.

Or maybe playing at a dull, rainy Fir Park is a bit of a come down from midweek and they aren't up for it.  

Looking at the results this season it seems fairly obvious that you have to get to half time at 0-0 to get a result against Celtic.  5 out of 6 occasions with dropped points this season for Celtic came from matches where they didn't score in the first half.  We've seen Celtic struggle to break teams down in the second half if they don't get those early goals. Even against Dundee Utd a couple of games back where they won by the skin of their teeth in injury time.

Livingston and St Mirren played 5-4-1 and I think if we are going to get anything out of this that's probably the way to go.  Just shut the game down, get to half time and then you give yourself a chance with 45 minutes to go. 

22 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

yep im with you on this yodo. He causes problems and we are a team that play off 2nd balls so why not as im sure any balls we can muster into box they would be scared.

What about

Kelly

sod  sol  ojala  carrol  mcginley

donnelly goss 

slattery  van veen

bevis

Basically the same formation as tuesday night where i did feel after first 25 mins we started to get used to shape van veen would be playing where tierney came on and where shaw was before him and him and slattery would have to be told if their full backs push on which they will then it is their responsibility as well as looking for bevis knockdowns..

The middle 3 defenders and 2 sitting midfielders need to be very disciplined and stay in middle.

We play for free kicks and bombard them with high balls every opportunity from wide areas when possible. 

I really think this would work as other than celtics 2 cb they are small all over the pitch. I think everyone in our team would be 6ft.

Plus all you fans that are predicting a gubbing?  I have no idea how you can watch a game of football if you feel that way. If we were playing peak barcelona tomorrow I would still have hope and through no normal reasoning other than I am a football fan and saw loads of shocks over the years. We have been poor v them for a long time but ...............

Cmon it can happen.

It’s hard to know where to start with a word salad.

Indulging that other poster in Mugabi as a striker gives the knowledge game away for starters.

Some wild takes. Donnelly. Disciplined? I’m starting to think you don’t watch us if at all.

Spare the über fan rambling too close too.

6 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

It’s hard to know where to start with a word salad.

Indulging that other poster in Mugabi as a striker gives the knowledge game away for starters.

Some wild takes. Donnelly. Disciplined? I’m starting to think you don’t watch us if at all.

Spare the über fan rambling too close too.

sorry to get involved in a discussion and if it offends you then you can always not come on here.

uber fan lol what the fuk does that mean?

Im a fan putting across my thoughts on how i think we can win.

.Mugabi as strike v livi caused problems and again on tuesday night .

Donnelly is determined and can stay in middle. 

Whats your team ?

If all you can do is come on here and slag people off I suggest you Fk off!

I said it before the first game at Fir Park and I will say it again now. If ever there was a team set up for Alexanderball its Celtic. They are very good middle to front, but the centre backs can be got at, particularly from set peices. We need to be stodgy as f#ck in midfield and defence. In their faces when they have the ball and get it forward quickly into the final 3rd when we get it. If we try to play football against them they will destroy us. It might not be pretty, but it can work. 

35 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

sorry to get involved in a discussion and if it offends you then you can always not come on here.

uber fan lol what the fuk does that mean?

Im a fan putting across my thoughts on how i think we can win.

.Mugabi as strike v livi caused problems and again on tuesday night .

Donnelly is determined and can stay in middle. 

Whats your team ?

If all you can do is come on here and slag people off I suggest you Fk off!

:lol: Wind your neck in. You talking shit certainly doesn’t offend me.

über as in the context you put it, your support being better than others as they forecast a pumping.

Mugabi as a striker in games we are chasing is a world away from playing him in that role to suit a formation. As for using that Livingston debacle over 2 years since as analogy suggests you’ve run out of straws to clutch.

Donnelly is determined? And so he should be, it’s a pre-requisite no? Determined isn’t disciplined and pound for pound our poorest midfielder. Doesn’t bring energy, slow of thought and a yard slower in pace than he was going by recent performances.

Whats my team? Never have gone in for the amateur wish lists and seeing some of the wild takes in recent weeks on here safe to say I’ll keep to that.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

:lol: Wind your neck in. You talking shit certainly doesn’t offend me.

über as in the context you put it, your support being better than others as they forecast a pumping.

Mugabi as a striker in games we are chasing is a world away from playing him in that role to suit a formation. As for using that Livingston debacle over 2 years since as analogy suggests you’ve run out of straws to clutch.

Donnelly is determined? And so he should be, it’s a pre-requisite no? Determined isn’t disciplined and pound for pound our poorest midfielder. Doesn’t bring energy, slow of thought and a yard slower in pace than he was going by recent performances.

Whats my team? Never have gone in for the amateur wish lists and seeing some of the wild takes in recent weeks on here safe to say I’ll keep to that.

Saying I'm talking shit? It's my opinion and I stand by it

Uber fan? I'm no better than anyone but I was saying how I couldn't understand people's negativity.

I agree there's a big difference in chasing games to whole games but bevis has caused problems and we are really struggling for goals so I think he could do it.

We will disagree on donnelly. Yes he can be slow but he is by far not worst midfielder we have. 

If you can't show your team then I will presume you are not as knowledgeable as you would like to believe you are.

It's a football forum for god sake and obviously there will be some amateur wish lists but people with your knowledge can of course put us all right.

So come on what's your team and reasons?

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I'd like to see us stick with 3-5-2 for this one but with the two being an actual fucking two instead of Goss/Tierney/Slattery floating in behind KVV. Wouldn't mind seeing Mugabi out RWB but I doubt it'll happen.

-------------------Kelly

------Mugabi----Johansen----Carroll/Ojala

O'Donnell---------------------------------McGinley

---------Slattery-----Shaw-----Goss

----------------KVV---Roberts/Efford

Press them from the start and pray for the best. 2-1, a late late KVV winner.

Shaw canny play as he’s on loan from Celtic 

19 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Saying I'm talking shit? It's my opinion and I stand by it

Uber fan? I'm no better than anyone but I was saying how I couldn't understand people's negativity.

I agree there's a big difference in chasing games to whole games but bevis has caused problems and we are really struggling for goals so I think he could do it.

We will disagree on donnelly. Yes he can be slow but he is by far not worst midfielder we have. 

If you can't show your team then I will presume you are not as knowledgeable as you would like to believe you are.

It's a football forum for god sake and obviously there will be some amateur wish lists but people with your knowledge can of course put us all right.

So come on what's your team and reasons?

Take a breath.

Playing Mugabi more advanced than van Veen on the strength of two 10 minute stints when we were behind is nonsensical.

We’ll definitely disagree on Donnelly - doubt I’ll be the only one who feels the same. Bottom line is he’s a defender trying to play midfield. His inclusion for me has seen a marked downturn in others performances alongside him in midfield. Can’t hide from that.

Presume all you like. Because I don’t post my selection thoughts you come to that conclusion? Another nonsense.

One thing I will say for the team would be a midfielder capable of going beyond the forward line and getting others into scoring positions which we did before the break with success but, the ideal has been abandoned given the team selections.

It really isn’t that difficult.

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Take a breath.

Playing Mugabi more advanced than van Veen on the strength of two 10 minute stints when we were behind is nonsensical.

We’ll definitely disagree on Donnelly - doubt I’ll be the only one who feels the same. Bottom line is he’s a defender trying to play midfield. His inclusion for me has seen a marked downturn in others performances alongside him in midfield. Can’t hide from that.

Presume all you like. Because I don’t post my selection thoughts you come to that conclusion? Another nonsense.

One thing I will say for the team would be a midfielder capable of going beyond the forward line and getting others into scoring positions which we did before the break with success but, the ideal has been abandoned given the team selections.

It really isn’t that difficult.

Yes playing mugabi at striker is huge risk but it is not nonsensical as he has shown albeit a little that he can offer something. 

Donnelly when playing at base of midfield can do what's required and he has a gd shot but in Alexander's 433 he's been playing at right of 3 and your right he is too slow and not mobile enough for it.

Can't recall any of our midfield going beyond strikers all season they are all workhorses with little creativity from any of them.

If we play 433 like we have done all season before Tuesday then I think celtic will rip us apart out wide as we are so narrow and they ripped rangers apart on Wednesday who also play that formation with better players than ours so that's another reason for my 541. 

I am having to guess what you suggest we do with players available so that's why it is actually difficult. 

Why not just say what team you would pick then all on here can also discuss it?

You never know it could turn into a good discussion .

For me the biggest issue we have is the formation, we play, we don't have the quality in midfield to play 4-3-3, switching to 4-4-2  would stop the midfield getting overrun and take some of the pressure of the defence.

For me our strongest midfield is  Goss, Slattery and McGuire  put Tierney in there playing  just in front of them as the attacking midfielder to get forward and support  the 2 strikers.

But until GA gets over his obsession with 4-3-3  we will struggle, especially against a team like Celtic who have pace out wide. Oh and as others have suggested Donnelly is never a midfielder.

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

. Oh and as others have suggested Donnelly is never a midfielder.

He seemed to do OK season before last after gorrin left playing at base of 3 with campbell beside him and polworth further forward. I think he was our top scorer at one point.He then got injured start of last season and been stop start since .He also got in the NI squad playing there so he must have something about him. There is no way he's a defender as too slow for full back and not physical enough for centreback. Slattery is our best midfielder easily then goss then toss up between donnelly Maguire or ohara. Young cornelius might come on but still a lot to prove obviously. Our midfield is poor skill wise but Alexander sacrifices that over endeavour unfortunately so his midfielders are what he likes I think. 

31 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Donnelly is pish. There were three times the other night he miscontrolled the ball in a manner that would embarass a junior player. If he plays on Sunday he'll either hide for 90 minutes or get sent off. 

If we end up extending him and McGinley it'll be depressing. 

The thought of Donnelly up against McGregor, Hatate and O’Riley is utterly sobering. He’ll look like a junior player and he’ll be lucky to even touch the ball in a meaningful way.

It’s embarrassing that we are starting players of the standard of him and McGinley on a regular basis.

4 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

The thought of Donnelly up against McGregor, Hatate and O’Riley is utterly sobering. He’ll look like a junior player and he’ll be lucky to even touch the ball in a meaningful way.

It’s embarrassing that we are starting players of the standard of him and McGinley on a regular basis.

Not one of our midfielders are in celtic players class. But other than goss or slattery who is miles better than donnelly?

Maguire attempted 6 passes last Saturday v hearts before injury and 5 of them went to hearts players.

Mcginley is easy target and obviously Alexander rates him above Carrol who has seemingly turned into prime Roberto Carlos since being out team.

• Like 2