Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

Obviously if they play to their full capabilities we will get beat without question but the two games so far this season we have done alright the the best part. The first game at Fir Park the Celtic defence was massively shaky the major disappointment of this game was we didn't test them enough and the first goal was gift wrapped, while Turnbull's goal was a real quality finish it was annoying in the sense of we knew what he was capable of and we gave him all the time in the world to get a shot away. Similarly at Parkhead, it took a really soft free kick and a defensive brain fart which gave them all three points.

Both games so far we have been denied stone wall pens, a hand ball at our patch then Watt getting wiped out on there's. John Beaton is the ref tomorrow so I doubt we'll get much favours off of him.

We will probably come up short as per,  I don't think Celtic will replicate the midweek performance against Rangers as I think they were hyped up with the light show and the 60,000 in attendance without a Rangers fan in sight, prior to that game they were grinding out the wins and they were rather fortunate in the last few as Hearts missed a pen and they scored with the last kick of the ball against Dundee United. They haven't lost in 14 games, domestically you need to go back September.

I think our worry will be the struggle to create clear cut chances like we have done as of late and inevitably they will get a chance they will take. Any points we can get would be a massive bonus of course.

Well results when our way again. We can talk about formations all we like but if Celtic are on it, it won’t make any difference, we don’t have the quality to counteract an in form Celtic. Hopefully they are complacent and think it’s as good as won and we get some form of a sniff. Watt looks like he might be reverting back to form.

26 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

What a fantastic set of results for us so far today, would be great if they all finished like this.

I see Hibs as our main threat for 4th, long may they keep losing.

All finished nicely.

A free hit for us tomorrow. Any points (however unlikely) a huge bonus. Lose, and we're still 4th.

While it’s good that results are going our way and helping us stay in 4th it also means the league is compressing. I’d say, realistically that there are now 6 teams competing for 4th spot. Top 3 probably fixed and bottom 3 too far off. So middle 6 teams all in with a chance to end in 4th spot. 

Yes, some excellent results today from our point of view. When you see how close Kidderminster H. and Plymouth Argyle came to causing upsets in the English cup against much better opposition than we're facing, should we  not be able to cause an upset of our own if we show the right attitude and choose the right tactics? 

I feel "Brick Shit-House" Carter-Vickers could be particularly vulnerable at the heart of the Celtic defence but so much will depend on the extent to which GA can inspire the players to really believe they can win.

Oh, and TETW we get a referee with a backbone.....

May The Force be with us.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

What a fantastic set of results for us so far today, would be great if they all finished like this.

I see Hibs as our main threat for 4th, long may they keep losing.

Anyone down to Livi in 10th is a rival now. Only 6 points separate 4th from 10th.  Expect a trouncing tomorrow , cant see anything we produce that would suggest the 10 year winless streak will end tomorrow.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

While it’s good that results are going our way and helping us stay in 4th it also means the league is compressing. I’d say, realistically that there are now 6 teams competing for 4th spot. Top 3 probably fixed and bottom 3 too far off. So middle 6 teams all in with a chance to end in 4th spot. 

exactly and we not sufficiently better than any of them to suggest its between us an one or two others.

39 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Personally I would be happy enough with low score defeat with no injuries or sending offs, our most important game of the season is on Wednesday night at Tannadice where I think a victory MIGHT seal our top six.

seal our top 6th ?? are you having a laugh we are only 6 points above 10th

Obviously Celtic are better than us and if they turn up like they did in the first 45 on Wednesday we will get scudded, however....... they havent been at all consistent this season, even last Saturday they struggled to a 1-0 home win against a poor Dundee United.

After them finally putting in the performance, leathering Rangers and going top of the league, it wouldnt be that big a surprise for them to fuck up against us.

Would bite your hand off for a 1-1 right now....

13 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I appreciate that there's a small gap between us and the likes of Livingston but St Mirren etc won't be good enough catch us. It'll be between us, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen for 4th/5th/6th.

I’m not sure St Mirren are any worse than we are, they may actually better.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I just can't agree with that, we dominated them at their patch the other night. We didn't win the game, but if we find our shooting boots they won't get near us.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

And if we win tomorrow  and other results go our way like today we could only be 7 points off 3rd, so your point is?

My point is your statement "I think a victory MIGHT seal our top six" is ridiculous suggesting its nearly in the bag with 7 games and 21 points at stake to go to the split after the DU game  , the fact we maybe 7 points off 3rd if we won tomorrow is immaterial.  

51 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

St Mirren aren't any worse than us. There is nothing between us and he rest. Pumped by Ross County and Dundee should tell us that. The League doesn't lie. The reason there is only 6 points separating 6 teams  is they are all a much of a muchness.

12 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

My point is your statement "I think a victory MIGHT seal our top six" is ridiculous suggesting its nearly in the bag with 7 games and 21 points at stake to go to the split after the DU game  , the fact we maybe 7 points off 3rd if we won tomorrow is immaterial.  

I never said " I think a victory MIGHT seal our top six"  that was middleeastdave,

2 hours ago, Big Stall said:

Obviously Celtic are better than us and if they turn up like they did in the first 45 on Wednesday we will get scudded, however....... they havent been at all consistent this season, even last Saturday they struggled to a 1-0 home win against a poor Dundee United.

After them finally putting in the performance, leathering Rangers and going top of the league, it wouldnt be that big a surprise for them to fuck up against us.

Would bite your hand off for a 1-1 right now....

I’m hoping for an Andy Lynch 1977/Skippy Sunday scenario……….they green masses seem to think they are closing in to another title and their new manager is a miracle worker turning a team of losers  that had only won 3 trebles  in 4 seasons,by only spending more than  15 million in the past 6 months……as Mr Keegan said I would love it ,love it ……..if we keep it to 0-3 tomorrow!!!

we live and hope …….SIWY

Our next 4 league games are hugely difficult and on current form it’s hard to see which of them we’ll pick up points from.

It’s difficult to see anything other than a Celtic win tomorrow. Not only are they playing really well and we aren’t at the moment but we haven’t had the mentality to win these games for a long while.

31 minutes ago, ZT_1886 said:

Our next 4 league games are hugely difficult and on current form it’s hard to see which of them we’ll pick up points from.

It’s difficult to see anything other than a Celtic win tomorrow. Not only are they playing really well and we aren’t at the moment but we haven’t had the mentality to win these games for a long while.

Celtic home United away Aberdeen home and Rangers away. We will be doing very well if we are still in the top 6 after those games.  Having said that we will then have 5 winnable games to get ourselves back into top 6 to fight for 4th spot. That’s not to say we won’t stay in top 6 thru these 4 games but it’s certainly a tough task. A point or 3 tomorrow would help.