Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

Last comment from me someone commented on Solholm's performance when talking about Lamie and if his name was Scott he would be judged much harder. Well on todays performance he's no more than a championship defender. I think we might have been hoodwinked he should take the megaphone and shove it where the sun don't shine.

PS is it time to put Bevis up front yet

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Now Celtic's biggest away win of the season. What does that tell us?

For me this is a Celtic team just getting better and better, they blew Rangers away in 45 minutes midweek. To be fair the manager came in for criticism early on but he’s made a huge difference given the mess they were in.

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Now Celtic's biggest away win of the season. What does that tell us?

Tells us what we already know Dave ,the old firm are streets ahead of us,  Rangers beat us 1-6 at home earlier in the season.  Doesn’t make it any less disappointing though.  That’s us gave both halves of the ugly sisters two of  there biggest wins of the season on our home patch……depressing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ropy said:

We have 33 points, Ross County have 26.

We have a game in hand albeit it is against Celtic tomorrow.

you are talking nonsense . "all but have the top six sealed after Utd game"  with 21 points left to play for is ludicrous???  and we then face Aberdeen  and Rangers. if you were saying that with 3 games to go after Utd I could give it some credibility.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Very little against a team with that quality when at the top or their game. There is not a team in the league that could have matched that first half performance. That’s as good a half as I’ve seen from an old firm team against us for a while. 

that would be fine if we didnt do exactly the same when they are pedestrian. The last 10 years are not all down to Celtic brilliance nor the last 20 years to Rangers brilliance either .. we have to own some of the shambles.

Skill is one thing, but having half the team out on their feet at 70 minutes was embarrassing. Solholm was totally done and should have been off earlier.

Their 4th was lucky but they had plenty of chances, and we're fannying around trying to get rogic his hat trick.

Tierney and Efford looked bright for a couple of minutes when they came on, but fell away. Woolery did absolutely nothing. Fair enough, not the best situation to judge him on, but he really just looked happy to jog around in a big circle. Cornelius had a good game and I'd be fine with him keeping his spot all season in place of the Celtic guy. McGinley wasn't bad at all, and made some excellent interceptions, but his card has been marked.

All in all, we only conceded one in the second half, so not quite the apocalypse everyone predicted. I'm more pissed off at the Ross county and hibs results than this one.

I'm going to get some breakfast and watch Cobra Kai.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, postiejim said:

Tells us what we already know Dave ,the old firm are streets ahead of us,  Rangers beat us 1-6 at home earlier in the season.  Doesn’t make it any less disappointing though.  That’s us gave both halves of the ugly sisters two of  there biggest wins of the season on our home patch……depressing.

So both of them have had their biggest away wins of the season against us. 

Yes they have better players than us, but mentality is 100% a contributory issue here. We are beaten before a ball is kicked in these games and as soon as we go behind our heads just drop.

Celtic were excellent today and scored some superb goals, but they will get easier training sessions than that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

that would be fine if we didnt do exactly the same when they are pedestrian. The last 10 years are not all down to Celtic brilliance nor the last 20 years to Rangers brilliance either .. we have to own some of the shambles.

Exactly. Celtic had their worse season in over a decade last year yet we still couldn’t lay a glove on them in any of the meetings. And nothing needs said about our record against Rangers in the last twenty years.

Still, “Welcome to our great wee club” :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

We used to give the Old Firm a game when they came to Fir Park. Not now. How I long for the days when we got stuck in and were in their faces. All the Old Firm need to do now (and most others teams) is wait on us making a mistake. Its all so predictable. 

Was thinking about this during the game.

I think all Scottish football has gone backwards including Rangers and Celtic but back when they had genuinely world or european class players we competed better than we do now so the gap is probably bigger than its ever been.

Think back a couple of weeks.  We are a little bit better than Morton, a little bit, and absolutely miles behind Celtic and I think you could say that about pretty much every team from 4th place down in the Premiership so it's not just us.

On a related note I was also thinking about 'quality'.  Right now I don't think we have a single outfield player of quality in the squad.  Not one of them is better than Scottish Premier diddy team level.  The one exception is Kelly in goals.

Overall I think Alexander has done a decent enough job given what he has to work with and where we were when he came in but the lack of any quality is slightly dispiriting and definitely comes to the fore when you see actual footballers on the pitch at Fir Park, albeit in the form of opposition.

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Donnolly, McGinlay and Carroll should be shown the door after this game

Add in Slattery Goss and Kvv , don’t mind getting beat by a superior team but some our players effort left a lot to be desired . GA hung Carroll and McGinlay out tae dry they came down our left at will . We need to get back to playing players in positions they are comfortable in and not because our manager thinks he’s a tactical genius 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

So both of them have had their biggest away wins of the season against us. 

Yes they have better players than us, but mentality is 100% a contributory issue here. We are beaten before a ball is kicked in these games and as soon as we go behind our heads just drop.

Celtic were excellent today and scored some superb goals, but they will get easier training sessions than that.

Mentality is often mentioned and maybe there is some truth in that, but it’s been happening for years with different managers and different squads. I’ve read at times it’s partly due to an acceptance by the fan base. I highly doubt that the likes of me thinking they are too good in advance of the game effects the result any more than me stating we will win against other teams means we’re more likely to win. Look we’re got lower league defenders playing for us, that’s just a fact and as such we’re already at a disadvantage right from the off. If we had a bigger budget with better players would we win games against the old firm, in my view yes.  I would accept other teams manage better results than we do at times but simply looking at todays game their passing, speed, movement was too much for us regardless of what formation we played or who we started with. 

Really poor from us today,we know we're playing a team with better players,that's nothing new it's always been the case but the last thing we should be doing is making it far to easy for these better players,nobody can stop you running about on the park but there was to many occasions where our players just seemed to be strolling about rather than busting a gut to do basic stuff.since coming back from the break we look like a team that's struggling for fitness,there's to many players look out on there feet by about 60 minutes,I know we had a covid outbreak on the lead up to the county game,could that be the cause.

• Like 1

Today was utterly embarrassing. 

I’ve said it before and will reiterate. There’s no shame in getting beat by a better team, the shame comes from how you go about it.

We set up today without any real plan. 
we played 5 at the back but left massive gaps between the players. Mcginley and Carroll switched but couldn’t quite figure out how does what. 
In midfield, we constantly got caught the wrong side of the ball. Donnelly and Goss were the biggest culprits and it put even more pressure on a haphazard defense. Up top, we had an isolated Van Veen (who’s form is woeful at the moment) offering nothing. We simply had no out all or even a plan for what we wanted to do, to even alleviate pressure. 
Tactically shambolic.

Second half, we started brighter, Efford and Tierney did okay but again we looked so fragile. 
The most deflating part was that we were blowing out our arse after 70 minutes. 
I’m sorry but that is one thing that isn’t acceptable. You can have better quality players with more skill but the one thing you should never be able to do in the same league is be fitter - and they were by a mile. 

The one outfield bright spot was Cornelius who played well but around him was pathetic.

Simply not good enough Alexander. 

We have been shite since Christmas - devoid of ideas and now apparently a yard short of a team in the same division.

But hey, at least we made 3M quid this year eh?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Nirrenold on, what’s going on with Ojala?

I think ojala has been on the bench every game since coming back from the break,I don't get why he isn't in the team,for me he's our best defender.theres to much chopping and changing going on,alexander needs to settle on a formation and stick to it and get our best players into it like ojala.

9 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Add in Slattery Goss and Kvv , don’t mind getting beat by a superior team but some our players effort left a lot to be desired . GA hung Carroll and McGinlay out tae dry they came down our left at will . We need to get back to playing players in positions they are comfortable in and not because our manager thinks he’s a tactical genius 

Thought Slattery was decent and Mcginlay wasn't as bad as I've seen him...we were better with Tierney and Efford on,I felt

We never seem to have a plan against the OF at home.

Tactically we gamble on seeing out the first 45-60 minutes before really having a go.

It was clear to see we were riding our luck and betting on Celtic running out of steam. Rarely it works, usually you end up getting beat 1-6 or 0-4.

Another pathetic surrender to the old firm at our own ground.

• Like 1