Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The fact that Celtic lost twice in the league last term to anyone other than Rangers during "their worst season in over a decade" kinda shows how massive the gap is.

Between them they have lost 5 league matches in the last 126, excluding defeats to each other.  

Our points total from the Old Firm over the last two seasons is pretty typical for a non city club 

Livingston      7pts from 5 results
Ross County    4pts from 2 results
St Mirren        3pts from 1 result
Motherwell    2pts from 2 results
St Johnstone    2pts from 2 results
Kilmarnock    1pt from 1 result
Hamilton        1pt from 1 result

I’m not disputing the gap, it’s more our approach to these games that I take issue with. You say Celtic “lost twice to anyone other than Rangers” in 20/21 but they also struggled to beat Dundee Utd, lost to St.Mirren at home, drew with St.Johnstone at home, lost away to Ross County in the league and lost 2-0 at home to them in the League Cup. All at the same time our record against them was 0-3, 1-4 & 1-2.

We as a club are not going to be able to go ‘toe-to- toe’ with Celtic or Rangers over the course of a season, but at the same time I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect us to not just roll over and get pumped by more than three goals every single time we play them either.

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We are five games without a win in the league.

If we go to six league games without a win plus out the cup then the manager needs a win in one of the next three league games to keep his job. 

You really are hilarious, at times I’m not sure if it is just trolling.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think u said that about Robinson while not as bad at the moment we are going down the same path . Playing a terrible style of football and some very poor signings 

I don't think he's under any pressure but alexander needs to start putting a settled team on the park,there far to much chopping and changing being done.we really need to find a bit of form from somewhere or our season could unravel pretty quickly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think that’s a fair comment tbh. If we are sitting here in a fortnights time still without a league win since the break and out of the cup (which is a distinct possibility) then it’s only fair that the managers position come under question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

I think u said that about Robinson while not as bad at the moment we are going down the same path . Playing a terrible style of football and some very poor signings 

As you know I take a balanced view. What’s our budget and how does that equate to where we should be finishing in the league next to others working on something similar. Robinsons record was acceptable for most of his tenure yet there were calls for his head within months of his appointment, he simply got sick of constantly rebuilding.  The last 12 months under Alexander has seen him exceed expectations and we sit 4th in the league and are still in the main cup. Any calls for him to go anytime soon is either trolling, or just plain stupidity.

Why do we give right hand side to old firm every home game . Tavernier had acres of space scored  , Abada today scored and involved in all 3 goals 1st half . Used to think was down to McGinlay now realise it’s down to Alexander as today Carroll was on left and was nowhere when all 3 1st half goals scored . Fir reasons. beyond my understanding seems  players must be instructed to allow the right hand side so much space v old firm but 10 goals lost in 2 home games tells me it’s wrong tactic . 

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

GA will drive the fans away from FP with his style of football Robinson would have to if the fans had been allowed in the ground . 

yodo     utd away  sheepies home ,    by this time next week   how do you see us being fixed ??      serious question,   cause i hope am wrong but on our last 3 performances i can see us next sunday still moaning like feck cause as u say the footbal is shocking  afraid i can see us with 2 defeats and possibly no goals either 

16 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I think Steelboy's essentially saying that if we go 10 games without a win (excluding the Morton result) then the manager will be under pressure.

Which I think is an accurate point, I'm just not really sure how relevant it is.

I think while we stay in the top half there will be zero pressure from the board. I’ve seen and read nothing to suggest they are anything but sensible. Now whether a percentage of the fanbase react is a different matter of course but given Robinson still had plenty of support even after he left I would not expect any sort of full on protest. Personally I think the standard of signing under Alexander is higher than it was under Robinson but others obviously don’t agree.

22 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I think Steelboy's essentially saying that if we go 10 games without a win (excluding the Morton result) then the manager will be under pressure.

Which I think is an accurate point, I'm just not really sure how relevant it is.

Nah, he's saying he should be sacked. Which is nonsense. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Onthefringes said:

Donnelly is determined? And so he should be, it’s a pre-requisite no? Determined isn’t disciplined and pound for pound our poorest midfielder. Doesn’t bring energy, slow of thought and a yard slower in pace than he was going by recent performances.

Spot on OTF and your comment was made before today's game. I'm not blaming solely Donnelly for the result or performance though.

Our best players were Liam Kelly, the much maligned Nathan McGinley, and young Dean Cornelius. Our weaknesses today have been evident for a wee while.  I know its hard to compare like with like due to the fixtures schedule but we now have the 3rd highest goals against tally in the league.

• Like 1

Sitting back and letting  the current  most expensive gathering of footballers in Scotland pass the ball out from the back and playing pretty passing games/1-2s/ tippy tippy wank boy football…..not closing down/ realising that we weren’t  rectifying it …is shocking management/tactics…….could have easily surpassed and should have surpassed  our record home defeat 0-7 unfortunately to these c@nts

i don’t think there is any Motherwell fan either in the ground/ didn’t bother to come/watching the game on tv thought we were going to get anything from this game after reading the team sheet prior to the game or  70 seconds when we should have been one down

GA has saved us from relegation last season, which is always my goal since the 80’s relegation……. Thankfully we have amassed 30 odd points this campaign and by teams being equal/ more shite than us  recently we have clung on to 4 th place in the league, don’t see us maintaining that position  for much longer and dread to think of the consequences of the next few weeks

Obviously the financial gap between ugly sisters and the rest of Scotland is and has been become  massively uncompetitive for a number of years which our governing bodies don’t give a fu@k about as long as the blue and green hordes are happy 

we had free hit today and tactically shat the nest with an unbelievable spineless performance on and off the pitch

forgot to mention our  master class in attacking long throw-in’s……….WTF FFS!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I'd sack a few on this forum before sacking the manager.  Pure nonsense chat. Thank you to Yassin for trying to put a better spin on a god awful post.

Very poor performance today - winning 50/50 balls shouldn't depend on the quality gulf.  Celtic were excellent though.

Watching the game with a Celtic pal and I enjoyed his why do you have an accountant and a hipster barber playing for you?

Was an embarrassment  again today.

Defensive formation was miles off it as gave abada, ralston and rogic all room in world down right as Carroll was always too high. Don't know if that was order's or he was not fit enough to play up and down?

Midfield other than short spell before their 1st goal got totally dominated .Celtic movement is a level I can't see our players getting too but they never even got close. Slattery a couple of moves and cornelius 1 gd pass I think and that was it.

Van veen totally isolated due to no midfield support and he got no change from their 2.

In games like that the gk is generally best on pitch and kelly was definitely that.

We r 4th and that sums up scottish football. Outside top 2 rest of us are really poor.

We used to give them a game but not now. We are kidding ourselves on and  although some say we are 4th our budget is miles behind etc etc  That was also case years ago  but we did compete.

What's our best team?

I don't know and more importantly neither does our manager.

Mibby the enlightened can help out.

If the powers that run Scottish football truly cared about the product that is the top league in Scotland, todays results would have them declaring an emergency board meeting tomorrow morning. The third and fourth place teams in the league being thrashed by the top two teams in the league  with a gulf in quality and resource that is clear for all to see. The story is not new however and the powers that run the game in this country have proved unable or unwilling to do anything about it for decades. 

I remember Brendan Rodgers (now one of the highest rated coaches in England) bemoaning the gulf in finance between Celtic and the teams like PSG and Barcelona that were regularly beating his side 5/6/7-0. He was made to look useless as a manager. In relative terms the disparity in finance between Celtic and Motherwell will be bigger than the disparity between Celtic and the top teams in Europe. 

As fans we walk like zombies (at least I do) in to each and every Old Firm game with the delusion that this time it might be different. This time we might have a chance, despite the fact that history shows, that the chance is so small as to be almost negligible. Have a look at the league results against Rangers in particular over the last three decades. In the cold light of day the results make for grim reading.

The one shining light in the years of misery was the play off double. That result was all the more remarkable when taken in the context of the results prior and all results since. Like  addicts we remember the hit and the high of those  games and go back again and again for that illusive moment when we can replicate the feeling, knowing in our heart of hearts that the thrill of the chase is the only thrill we can realistically hope for. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Normally I'd agree but what are the alternatives?

Try Shields or Effords up top for more mobility. revert back to 4-3-3 or go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. Although I’m not sure who is all available. I’d also give Amaluzer another try. I don’t think he’s been given as much of a chance as the likes of woolery

I've been pretty critical of the 4-3-3 but at least players knew their position. 

In last few weeks we've been all over the shop.

No idea why Carrol has been brought back into the team. At one point it was obvious that a combo of Ojala, Solholm or Mugabi was our strength in the centre of defence. Be good to move back to that asap. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, star sail said:

If the powers that run Scottish football truly cared about the product that is the top league in Scotland, todays results would have them declaring an emergency board meeting tomorrow morning. The third and fourth place teams in the league being thrashed by the top two teams in the league  with a gulf in quality and resource that is clear for all to see. The story is not new however and the powers that run the game in this country have proved unable or unwilling to do anything about it for decades. 

I remember Brendan Rodgers (now one of the highest rated coaches in England) bemoaning the gulf in finance between Celtic and the teams like PSG and Barcelona that were regularly beating his side 5/6/7-0. He was made to look useless as a manager. In relative terms the disparity in finance between Celtic and Motherwell will be bigger than the disparity between Celtic and the top teams in Europe. 

As fans we walk like zombies (at least I do) in to each and every Old Firm game with the delusion that this time it might be different. This time we might have a chance, despite the fact that history shows, that the chance is so small as to be almost negligible. Have a look at the league results against Rangers in particular over the last three decades. In the cold light of day the results make for grim reading.

The one shining light in the years of misery was the play off double. That result was all the more remarkable when taken in the context of the results prior and all results since. Like  addicts we remember the hit and the high of those  games and go back again and again for that illusive moment when we can replicate the feeling, knowing in our heart of hearts that the thrill of the chase is the only thrill we can realistically hope for. 

Great analogy and I agree with every word of it.