Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

4 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Try Shields or Effords up top for more mobility. revert back to 4-3-3 or go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. Although I’m not sure who is all available. I’d also give Amaluzer another try. I don’t think he’s been given as much of a chance as the likes of woolery

I don't think Efford is going to be up to it...harsh to say, given I've only seem 45mins of him, and against Celtic too, but I'm not hanging my hopes on him. The wee Irish lad as well, he literally looks and plays like a wee boy.

15 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Try Shields or Effords up top for more mobility. revert back to 4-3-3 or go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2. Although I’m not sure who is all available. I’d also give Amaluzer another try. I don’t think he’s been given as much of a chance as the likes of woolery

Shields is work in progress and in any event I don't see him as being an out and out traditional no 9 striker. That's what we need. I haven't seen Efford in the flesh but again I don't see him as being an out no9 striker.

10 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I don't think Efford is going to be up to it...harsh to say, given I've only seem 45mins of him, and against Celtic too, but I'm not hanging my hopes on him. The wee Irish lad as well, he literally looks and plays like a wee boy.

A wee boy that volleys an equaliser from a bouncing ball in only his 2nd or 3rd game. A finish that Messi would be proud of.

Efford has had half a game FFS.

Today was depressing no doubt but some of the crap on here is well to be fully expected. Never met such a bunch of pant wetters in my life. We are still 4th and yes we will probably fall out of the top 6 before we get some (on paper) easier games. 

Reading the sh1te on here is more depressing than the result. I am a way back to P&B for some reasoned debate / chat. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

why say it then, if you've only seen 45 mins of the guy v the best team in Scotland....also tierney looks like he has something 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, star sail said:

If the powers that run Scottish football truly cared about the product that is the top league in Scotland, todays results would have them declaring an emergency board meeting tomorrow morning. The third and fourth place teams in the league being thrashed by the top two teams in the league  with a gulf in quality and resource that is clear for all to see. The story is not new however and the powers that run the game in this country have proved unable or unwilling to do anything about it for decades. 

I remember Brendan Rodgers (now one of the highest rated coaches in England) bemoaning the gulf in finance between Celtic and the teams like PSG and Barcelona that were regularly beating his side 5/6/7-0. He was made to look useless as a manager. In relative terms the disparity in finance between Celtic and Motherwell will be bigger than the disparity between Celtic and the top teams in Europe. 

As fans we walk like zombies (at least I do) in to each and every Old Firm game with the delusion that this time it might be different. This time we might have a chance, despite the fact that history shows, that the chance is so small as to be almost negligible. Have a look at the league results against Rangers in particular over the last three decades. In the cold light of day the results make for grim reading.

The one shining light in the years of misery was the play off double. That result was all the more remarkable when taken in the context of the results prior and all results since. Like  addicts we remember the hit and the high of those  games and go back again and again for that illusive moment when we can replicate the feeling, knowing in our heart of hearts that the thrill of the chase is the only thrill we can realistically hope for. 

Unfortunately you are 100% correct……..and again in the words of the songsmith Justin Currie

And nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

The media/tv etc etc pander to the ugly sisters needs

2 hours ago, star sail said:

If the powers that run Scottish football truly cared about the product that is the top league in Scotland, todays results would have them declaring an emergency board meeting tomorrow morning. The third and fourth place teams in the league being thrashed by the top two teams in the league  with a gulf in quality and resource that is clear for all to see. The story is not new however and the powers that run the game in this country have proved unable or unwilling to do anything about it for decades. 

I remember Brendan Rodgers (now one of the highest rated coaches in England) bemoaning the gulf in finance between Celtic and the teams like PSG and Barcelona that were regularly beating his side 5/6/7-0. He was made to look useless as a manager. In relative terms the disparity in finance between Celtic and Motherwell will be bigger than the disparity between Celtic and the top teams in Europe. 

As fans we walk like zombies (at least I do) in to each and every Old Firm game with the delusion that this time it might be different. This time we might have a chance, despite the fact that history shows, that the chance is so small as to be almost negligible. Have a look at the league results against Rangers in particular over the last three decades. In the cold light of day the results make for grim reading.

The one shining light in the years of misery was the play off double. That result was all the more remarkable when taken in the context of the results prior and all results since. Like  addicts we remember the hit and the high of those  games and go back again and again for that illusive moment when we can replicate the feeling, knowing in our heart of hearts that the thrill of the chase is the only thrill we can realistically hope for. 

What can be done though? 

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I've been pretty critical of the 4-3-3 but at least players knew their position. 

In last few weeks we've been all over the shop.

No idea why Carrol has been brought back into the team. At one point it was obvious that a combo of Ojala, Solholm or Mugabi was our strength in the centre of defence. Be good to move back to that asap. 

just watched highlights , what the hell is that 1st goal about...jake Carroll,  you need chasing  , if that had been scored in amateur football, questions would be asked 

Someone made a post earlier today questioning the effort of the players, and I disagreed at first. Forcing myself to watch the highlights and it's absolutely correct, the gentle jog back from some players when Celtic cut us open is pathetic.

Carroll, KVV, Donnelly and Woolery were all shockingly bad today. Woolery must have touched the ball about 4 times the whole 2nd half.

Skip to the 3 minute mark. I appreciate the game is gone and as a player you're probably very frustrated, but my god that group trot back in while Celtic try and tee Rogic up for a hat trick is infuriating to watch.

7 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Wish we knew why Ojala is not playing   

completely agree - he should be an auto starter and potential captain .

Appreciate he had a couple of injuries but he's back in the squad and no way Carrol should be put in as a makeshift centre half rather than just start Ojala. 

If not injured why isn't he getting a game ?

Quite a few people on here need to get their Y-Fronts checked. Obviously no matter the opposition it is always disappointing getting beat, I do miss the days when we gave them a torrid time at Fir Park, to think the young side in 2002 swept aside probably one of the best Celtic sides in my generation at least, it would be nice coming away knowing the effort and commitment wasn't lacking, in the last few years we have run them close at times.

While all Scottish clubs out with the arse cheeks have probably regressed over the years you just have to look at the subs Celtic brought on yesterday, Jota, Bitton, Juranovic, O'Reilly and Forrest while over in Govan they have the likes of Ramsay and Diallo coming on whilst they pump Hearts, it's some laugh for the rest of the clubs in Scottish football. 

Ojala is head and shoulders above carroll and should be playing before him,were in a tricky spot right now and need our form to settle and the best way for that to happen is having our better players on the pitch,which ojala is.

11 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Early days of course but I liked the fact that he seemed to be quite direct and actually tried to press forward with the ball towards the goal. Something the rest of our attackers don't really know how to do.

He certainly deserves more time and would be quite interesting to see how he and VV can compliment each other.

Of course, he may well be pish.

Usual stuff yesterday, I've just become accustomed to this outcome against the Old Firm. I don't even know if it bothers me anymore. 

Pass marks for McGinley, Cornelius and Kelly. Two dodgy passes from McGinley nearly put us in the shiter, but he made a lot of goal saving tackles too, and had more desire about him than most yesterday. Efford is worth a start next game I reckon, looks more direct and arguably showed more in that half than Woolery and KVV have in the last few games. Woolery is  particularly painful to watch, he has all the attributes but looks almost scared to play, far too tentative on the ball. KVV is just useless playing that role, can't hold the ball up well enough, doesn't release the ball fast enough and just generally seems like he can't be bothered. 

Goss is also frustrating, but any chance or half chance we create, he's nearly always involved so I think we need to keep him invovled. Donnelly is the main problem in the middle for me, absolutely murder in his current mould, basically just a man down. He doesn't get stuck in, doesn't close down fast enough and doesn't offer much going forward. 

To a degree we were no worse yesterday than we have been of late but, as Celtic are possibly the best team just now, they ruthlessly exploited our weaknesses.  Team selection again looked odd but we don't know if there are any fitness reasons behind it (Ojala for example). We're not the best side when not in possession as Celtic well knew. 

There are also a few unknowns just now like the impact of players like Efford, Shaw and possibly Tierney. 

We need to sort out all areas of the team; defence; midfield and up front. For me Slattery, Goss, and Cornelius are stick on starters in midfield if we play with 3 nominally up front. If we go with 2 up front then Tierney slots in between them and the 3 midfielders. I'll reserve judgement on Shaw for the time being. 

Longer term, I would be in no rush to renew the contracts of Donnelly and O'Hara. Maguire is a squad player at best.   

Efford and Tierney showed more purpose and guile in 15 minutes yesterday than the rest of the team had in the previous 45 mins. It was a shame the 4th goal came when it did as it totally killed the momentum they had created. Woolery offered absolutely nothing. He is such a frustrating player. As others have said above, he looks to have all the attributes to be successful at our level, but appears to have absolutely no idea what to do with them. Really not sure how you change that, but we have another 2 and a half years to try.

As for team selection, I can only presume there must be Covid / illness /injury issues stopping Ojala getting a start. We all know he is our best defender so GA sure as shit knows that. The fact he isnt playing him and has played Carroll, McGinley and now Nirenold in there speaks volumes. However, GA doesnt want to talk about these matters, so we will just need to remain in the dark.

The big question for me and for GA going forward is who can he trust? We were always gonna be up against it yesterday and the outcome, whilst depressing was not surprising. What is unacceptable though is players not busting a gut for their teamates and for the club. Celtic have the quality to carve better teams than us open, they proved that on Wednesday night. But once you get out of position  you bust your arse to get back and help out. Way too many examples yesterday of that not happening.

Be very interesting to see team selection against United, but for me Cornelius must be rewarded and several others should be benched, starting with Carroll, Woolery Donnelly and van Veen. Efford and Tierney must start and I would give Roberts another opportunity to see where his heads at.

16 hours ago, smiddy said:

yodo     utd away  sheepies home ,    by this time next week   how do you see us being fixed ??      serious question,   cause i hope am wrong but on our last 3 performances i can see us next sunday still moaning like feck cause as u say the footbal is shocking  afraid i can see us with 2 defeats and possibly no goals either 

Never mind the next win Smiddy where is the next goal coming from it’s a hard watch at the moment don’t see it getting any better as we don’t have any quality in the team 

3 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

You stick to getting Bellshill relegated, 45 mins on TV and he's poor, gies a break, the guy showed pace and was not adverse to having a shot at goal. As for Tierney a wee mini Mauchline, but as you say wouldn't get a game at The new Hill:lol:

Ahh the anonymity of fans messageboards eh? I cannae be arsed picking you up on the errors in your post above, but next time you're at Fir Park and see me, then gie me a shout.

15 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Tierney has potential but needs to be coached and used properly. I’m not confident that GA will do either.

Efford I agree doesn’t look up to it, early days or not and he’ll offer us no more than Seedorf or Hylton did. Another pointless signing.

38 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Tierney has potential but needs to be coached and used properly. I’m not confident that GA will do either.

Efford I agree doesn’t look up to it, early days or not and he’ll offer us no more than Seedorf or Hylton did. Another pointless signing.

Too soon!