Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

51 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Tierney has potential but needs to be coached and used properly. I’m not confident that GA will do either.

Efford I agree doesn’t look up to it, early days or not and he’ll offer us no more than Seedorf or Hylton did. Another pointless signing.

:doh: Another player written off after only playing 45 minutes, you really do talk shite at times.

• Like 2

I know everyone is upset at the way we were handily turned over yesterday, but it's worth bearing this piece of information in mind:

There is considerably less of a resource gulf between Celtic and reigning Premier League champions Manchester City than between Celtic and most clubs in their own division.

Using our GSSS numbers from this report, City players earn ‘only’ seven times as much as those at Celtic, who in turn earn around 20 times the basic paid at Motherwell, Hamilton and St Johnstone.

There is less of a resource gulf between Celtic and their 2017-18 Champions League group stage opponents Paris Saint-Germain than between Celtic and most clubs in their domestic division. 

The quotes above come from a few years back as well, so there's a good chance the gulf has grown even larger. 

Coincidentally, the last three games between Celtic & PSG ended 4-0, 7-1, and 5-0 to PSG. So, we see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

Yes the right, the anonymity of guys like you who don't go to games now, but seem to think your options count. Never seen a positive post yet, your so opinionated on players just in the door. Just remember the level you played at. 

I was at the game yesterday...as I said, gie me a shout next time you see me at Fir Park. 

• Like 2

I haven’t watched it back (and I won’t bother) but we were simply beaten by a much better team. As much as Celtic had other chances and Kelly had a few good saves, we were a bit unfortunate with the third (I think it was Sol who slipped / stumbled and would have easily cut out Abada’s cross) and the fourth (deflection could have gone anywhere). I personally didn’t see the players chucking it, although they may well have been knackered towards the end having chased shadows for most of the game. Cornelius was the example of this - ran himself into the ground. I’m fact, I thought the players kept plugging away… unlike the Rangers home game that was a shocker. Next couple of weeks will be a more realistic test of this team’s ability and character obviously  

14 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

I haven’t watched it back (and I won’t bother) but we were simply beaten by a much better team. As much as Celtic had other chances and Kelly had a few good saves, we were a bit unfortunate with the third (I think it was Sol who slipped / stumbled and would have easily cut out Abada’s cross) and the fourth (deflection could have gone anywhere). I personally didn’t see the players chucking it, although they may well have been knackered towards the end having chased shadows for most of the game. Cornelius was the example of this - ran himself into the ground. I’m fact, I thought the players kept plugging away… unlike the Rangers home game that was a shocker. Next couple of weeks will be a more realistic test of this team’s ability and character obviously  

If only it was as easy as picking the uglies games we have been rotten for the last few games a mixture of GA stubborness to change his approach and the players not being up to the task . Unfortunately we have to go to the end of the season with the players on the books and a manager who can’t admit his faults . If that was us taking the game to them yesterday as he said in the press then heaven help us 

• Like 1

Grizzlyg made the right decission taking a month off , hes been spared all the doom. Never thought id say it but we need one of his jokes to lighten the mood.  We are still 4th by the way, thats no a joke.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

:doh: Another player written off after only playing 45 minutes, you really do talk shite at times.

Only time will tell whether that’ll be proved to be correct, but from what I saw of him yesterday and his goal scoring record before joining us then I don’t see anything to suggest that he will offer us anything and it’s more likely we can add him to Seedorf, Hylton, Ndjoli, Aarons on the list of “can play anywhere across the front” forwards we have signed and been utterly useless for us over the past few years.

16 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Well done David, answer like a politician, forget about the shite points you make about players you have seen for 45 minutes. No wonder yir first team(Bellshill) went from promotion to relegation in a couple of weeks. As I said wouldn't know a player if yi slept wi one. Yir so full if hot air perhaps we should go back to the big tent instead of undersoil heating, you would save the club a fortune. Give players a chance!!!!, as I said you were pish!!!!!!. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Only time will tell whether that’ll be proved to be correct, but from what I saw of him yesterday and his goal scoring record before joining us then I don’t see anything to suggest that he will offer us anything and it’s more likely we can add him to Seedorf, Hylton, Ndjoli, Aarons on the list of “can play anywhere across the front” forwards we have signed and been utterly useless for us over the past few years.

Whit a load of shite, ...Aarons played 6 games for us...6...Ndjoli played 2 sub games and then was injured...you cannot judge any player on so few games..except you obviously

Interesting stat about our home support at these games...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-burrows-tells-celtic-fans-26162983

Alan Burrows tells Celtic fans why they were 'locked out' of Motherwell and reveals surprising Rangers fact

The Motherwell CEO states the club have got the most season tickets sales in their 136-year history but only SIXTY percent showed for recent Celtic clash

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows has addressed several angry Celtic fans who claim they were 'locked out' of last weekend's Scottish Premiership clash with the Steelmen.

There were only 7,421 inside the 13,742 capacity Fir Park for Sunday's 4-0 defeat to the league leaders.

But the popular director has taken to Twitter to explain why this had to happen.

"We have three home stands, all of which have Motherwell season ticket holders, who have paid for their seat," said Burrows via a selection of tweets.

"They haven’t committed their cash to support the club to be shifted about when there’s a more financially convenient situation. Our club have previously taken that route in the past, and all it does is erode the belief in trying to build something bigger and deeper within our support. As it happens, we've got more season ticket holders now than we've ever had at any point in our 136-year history.

"A part of that is, in my view, is supporters genuinely believing that you make decisions with their best interests at heart, even if it's to the detriment of a short-term cash injection. It's a longer term project to grow our own supporter base and that means you have to make long-term calls.

"Ideally I'd be able to fit everyone in who wants to go to games, and people (home or away fans) wouldn't miss out."

Many fans have praised Burrows transparency with supporters as well as him putting the 'home support first'.

One fan replied saying, "In addition, and Alan might be able to advise if it is still the case, we have more Motherwell fans - season ticket and PATG, who attend other league fixtures and choose not to submit themselves to the games involving Glasgow clubs."

Burrows response was an interesting one which could explain why there were so many empty seats during Sunday's clash.

"Oh, absolutely. By far our lowest attended matches (from a home support point of view) are Rangers / Celtic games. It (ST attendance) was as low as 60% for the last one, would you believe (adjusted kick-off time do play a significant part in that too)."

Motherwell face a trip to Tannadice on Wednesday evening before back-to-back home games against Aberdeen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Well Well said:

Whit a load of shite, ...Aarons played 6 games for us...6...Ndjoli played 2 sub games and then was injured...you cannot judge any player on so few games..except you obviously

Yes, and from those 6 games for Aarons and Ndjoli’s two sub appearances they offered nothing and didn’t look as though they would either.

2 hours ago, Yassin said:

I wish we'd signed an out and out striker too- and we've certainly had our fair share of shite wide attackers recently- but we must be the only fanbase in the world where just "being a winger" is a black mark against your name :lol:

It wouldn’t be a problem if we actually had strikers worthy of the name on our books or at least tried to sign players who are.

9 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Tierney has potential but needs to be coached and used properly. I’m not confident that GA will do either.

Efford I agree doesn’t look up to it, early days or not and he’ll offer us no more than Seedorf or Hylton did. Another pointless signing.

Writing a guy off after 45 mins. Walloper you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I personally thought Aarons looked pretty decent on a few of his appearances and he was unlucky the onset of covid sent him home early.

When he joined he was up doing a fair bit training at the David Lloyd in Hamilton after hours, and then even once covid was a thing and gyms were shut - but before the league was officially terminated I saw him blasting round the Palace grounds on quite a few occasions on his tod. Fitness bands, balls, training aids, the guy looked to be putting a shift in on his own time - doesnt necessarily mean he is any good of course. Didn't seem to be a waster however.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Also, I also took it as a thinly disguised slight on the OF support. I believe people don’t go because of having to deal with all the idiots as opposed to not going cause it’s almost a stick on defeat. 

I think that's a large part of it. The hassle of getting to and from the ground is probably a close second. And the fact that these days the game is almost always on the telly adds to the attraction of staying away.

52 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Also, I also took it as a thinly disguised slight on the OF support. I believe people don’t go because of having to deal with all the idiots as opposed to not going cause it’s almost a stick on defeat. 

I'm not entirely sure about that. I'm a 37 year old man who doesn't have kids etc to consider so I accept my view is probably slightly skewed here, but I reckon we'd see a much bigger attendance if we were giving them a decent game on a regular basis instead of the almost guaranteed scudding.

• Like 1