Motherwell v Celtic 06/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Yes playing mugabi at striker is huge risk but it is not nonsensical as he has shown albeit a little that he can offer something. 

Donnelly when playing at base of midfield can do what's required and he has a gd shot but in Alexander's 433 he's been playing at right of 3 and your right he is too slow and not mobile enough for it.

Can't recall any of our midfield going beyond strikers all season they are all workhorses with little creativity from any of them.

If we play 433 like we have done all season before Tuesday then I think celtic will rip us apart out wide as we are so narrow and they ripped rangers apart on Wednesday who also play that formation with better players than ours so that's another reason for my 541. 

I am having to guess what you suggest we do with players available so that's why it is actually difficult. 

Why not just say what team you would pick then all on here can also discuss it?

You never know it could turn into a good discussion .

Word salad. 3rd course.

Bt your own admission, Mugabi up front is a huge risk but it’s not a nonsense? Contradiction defined. 

Donnelly hasn’t the discipline to play at base of midfield as you put it. To be the anchor you require to offer protection to the centre of defence, regularly dragged out of that position means zero protection.

Can’t recall any of our midfield going beyond strikers? Those that don’t want to see never will. Workhorses with little creativity is a misnomer also. Banged on about it often enough early in the season, the instruction to retain a shape rather than retain the play stifles.

Nobody advocated playing a 4-3-3? A lot more to them ripping apart a 4-3-3 the other night too - Rangers work rate off the ball was abysmal. Nor was I questioning your 5-4-1, the player selection is way more than optimistic.

Why the fascination on me naming a team selection? I don’t really give a fuck if you find that difficult and with your grasp on football bordering on moronic it’ll hardly provoke discussion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

Word salad. 3rd course.

Bt your own admission, Mugabi up front is a huge risk but it’s not a nonsense? Contradiction defined. 

Donnelly hasn’t the discipline to play at base of midfield as you put it. To be the anchor you require to offer protection to the centre of defence, regularly dragged out of that position means zero protection.

Can’t recall any of our midfield going beyond strikers? Those that don’t want to see never will. Workhorses with little creativity is a misnomer also. Banged on about it often enough early in the season, the instruction to retain a shape rather than retain the play stifles.

Nobody advocated playing a 4-3-3? A lot more to them ripping apart a 4-3-3 the other night too - Rangers work rate off the ball was abysmal. Nor was I questioning your 5-4-1, the player selection is way more than optimistic.

Why the fascination on me naming a team selection? I don’t really give a fuck if you find that difficult and with your grasp on football bordering on moronic it’ll hardly provoke discussion.

All you come back with is cheap jibes. 

You don't know me or background .

Run along.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

He seemed to do OK season before last after gorrin left playing at base of 3 with campbell beside him and polworth further forward. I think he was our top scorer at one point.He then got injured start of last season and been stop start since .He also got in the NI squad playing there so he must have something about him. There is no way he's a defender as too slow for full back and not physical enough for centreback. Slattery is our best midfielder easily then goss then toss up between donnelly Maguire or ohara. Young cornelius might come on but still a lot to prove obviously. Our midfield is poor skill wise but Alexander sacrifices that over endeavour unfortunately so his midfielders are what he likes I think. 

Just give it up. I’ve called it in my last post and your comments here fare no better…

A fascination with what players did about 2 seasons past is fucking mental. Our squad has changed massively, our style and football in general has moved on.

As for its ‘a toss up between donnelly, Maguire or ohara’ being the next best available. Jesus wept. Should’ve stopped reading right there.

What is it you suggest ‘Young cornelius’ has to prove? Let’s not fall into the same trap some have upon the signing of Shaw - Dean’s time for a loan was a year to 18 months ago. Alexander recognised that and decided his development is served better around the first team environment. Certainly being held back when shoe horning a defender into our midfield in effectively.

Poor skill wise? Seriously? Already mentioned why they’re stifled.

14 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

All you come back with is cheap jibes. 

You don't know me or background .

Run along.

:lol: You still going? Cheap jibes? Make your mind up. That’s not pointing out the folly you’re posting.

I never said I know you or your background. It’s easy to picture though… I’d wager you’ve never kicked a ball in anger!

Run along? Fucking hell, been a long time since I’ve been in the school playground.

It's been about 2 months since Celtic beat us 1 - 0 on their own patch.

While I'm not expecting points in this game, there is no reason to think we can't compete.

The whole "Donnelly is pish" thing is as insightful as the whole "Lamie is pish" thing and the whole "Mugabi is pish" thing. They all do OK if they are played in the right position in the right formation.

(And I haven't forgotten when steelboy wrote off Higdon as pish too).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Just give it up. I’ve called it in my last post and your comments here fare no better…

A fascination with what players did about 2 seasons past is fucking mental. Our squad has changed massively, our style and football in general has moved on.

As for its ‘a toss up between donnelly, Maguire or ohara’ being the next best available. Jesus wept. Should’ve stopped reading right there.

What is it you suggest ‘Young cornelius’ has to prove? Let’s not fall into the same trap some have upon the signing of Shaw - Dean’s time for a loan was a year to 18 months ago. Alexander recognised that and decided his development is served better around the first team environment. Certainly being held back when shoe horning a defender into our midfield in effectively.

Poor skill wise? Seriously? Already mentioned why they’re stifled.

I'm bored reading your stuff now but I'll respond.

Its obvious now you have a bee in your bonnet about our midfield due to I think you are either a friend of cornelius or his family .

Fair enough if you are but no need for you total slander of anyone else opinion.

I'd want a young motherwell boy in team as much as anyone but he's proven nothing as yet on pitch that I have seen.

You seem quite annoyed.

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

:lol: You still going? Cheap jibes? Make your mind up. That’s not pointing out the folly you’re posting.

I never said I know you or your background. It’s easy to picture though… I’d wager you’ve never kicked a ball in anger!

Run along? Fucking hell, been a long time since I’ve been in the school playground.

It's you that's still going .

Actually whilst I never made it as not good enough played with full internationals players that moved for millions and coached by internationals and European trophy winners. But there you go  smart arse.

Run along .

7 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

I'm bored reading your stuff now but I'll respond.

Its obvious now you have a bee in your bonnet about our midfield due to I think you are either a friend of cornelius or his family .

Fair enough if you are but no need for you total slander of anyone else opinion.

I'd want a young motherwell boy in team as much as anyone but he's proven nothing as yet on pitch that I have seen.

You seem quite annoyed.

:lol:  bee in my bonnet? That’s a belter. I’m a bit old in the tooth to be a friend of the kid. As for slander? You do know the meaning of the word? 

Certainly not annoyed. You’re doing that all by yourself.

57 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

The thought of Donnelly up against McGregor, Hatate and O’Riley is utterly sobering. He’ll look like a junior player and he’ll be lucky to even touch the ball in a meaningful way.

It’s embarrassing that we are starting players of the standard of him and McGinley on a regular basis.

Thought mcginley was one of our best players last few games 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

It's you that's still going .

Actually whilst I never made it as not good enough played with full internationals players that moved for millions and coached by internationals and European trophy winners. But there you go  smart arse.

Run along .

Esteemed company right enough. What were you? The kit hamper carrier or the waterboy?

An understanding like you’ve shown after a grounding like you’ve had is beyond comprehension.

I don’t resort to personal slate either. 

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Esteemed company right enough. What were you? The kit hamper carrier or the waterboy?

An understanding like you’ve shown after a grounding like you’ve had is beyond comprehension.

I don’t resort to personal slate either. 

You just did. And you made it personal in your first response. Thats why people get annoyed and bite.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Made observations & asked a question. That’s not personal slate.

You inferred he was the kit hamper carrier or the waterboy. Thats pretty personal. In your first post you accused him of using word salad.  

I dont want this to get into a tit for tat between you and I but this is a regular occurrence. You clearly have a lot to offer this forum, but demeaning other peoples posts because they are less knowledgeable than you isnt constructive.

• Like 4

They are more skillful than us so we have to do what we can to reduce opportunities where they can use that skill. As some previous posts have mentioned i think that involves pressing high as a team, getting in their faces, being physical and pretty much getting stuck in about them like  teams used to play in cup games back in the day. Attack their weakness at the back and see what we can get.  The biggest risk I see with that approach is getting caught on the break. So no giving the ball away in midfield when we have most players ahead of the ball. Each player may be focused on the pressing, you can’t give them an easy out. When they do get out we need to delay any attacks. A game for 100% effort with all subs ready to go if/when players start to tire.  I would also like to see us, at least on occasion, get all our players up the park quickly for a long ball after Kelly collects the ball. Normal is to saunter out but I’d like to see all the players sprint forward and Kelly clear the ball long. Should put us numbers up but if they actually get to ball first and play it back towards our goal then should result in offside.  Can’t do that all the time but I’d like to see it now and again. 

• Like 1

This forum is hard work of late.

So I'll pitch in!

Thought Cornelius had a nightmare against Airdrie but being pitched in at that point was probably detrimental to him.

He pops up again looks decent in his more recent games and he has not shown nothing - in fact he was progressive and I enjoyed watching him.

If anything chuck him in against Celtic - we have little to lose. We might get 1 mill for him plus if he turns out right. You won't get that for any others.

I'm up for supporting upcoming talent.

Double spacing on this site is not my friend!