Dundee United v Motherwell 09/02/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, mfc said:

Spot on,he would graft his balls off every game as well,setting the tone for others round about him,there's to many going through the motions right now and in need of a serious boot up the arse.

Nice tae see Tony Watt wishing Alan Burrows all the best for the rest of the season.  

3 minutes ago, mfc said:

Spot on,he would graft his balls off every game as well,setting the tone for others round about him,there's to many going through the motions right now and in need of a serious boot up the arse.

Exactly, and our only attempt to replace him was by signing yet another winger who has no track record of scoring goals but “can play anywhere across the front three”. It’s so depressing. :this:

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Crazy idea out of left field.

Couldn't we have used the cash we got for Watt to, I dunno, buy someone that's out of contract in the summer?

Great idea , why didnt we approach one of our nearest rivels and poach their striker to weaken them.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Not replacing Watt was a big mistake. Said so at the time.

Our best midfield this season was Goss - Maguire - Slattery.  We've not been able to play that midfield due to injuries and I'm afraid Donnelly isn't up to scratch.  Alexander needs to back what worked previously if these players are available again.

Man gie this Goss and Slattery patter a bye they are both the problem along wae Donnelly as was shown tonight 

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Get yer cash on 3-0 tae the Dons on sat easy money 

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

The clock started ticking on ga tonight.we have absolutely nothing fuck all.Aberdeen ran shellik close tonight they will put us out cup on Saturday.then it’s season over we HAD to replace watt with someone who could get a goal.can’t remember us having such a shite frontline 

Watts goal scoring efforts for us were a very strange blip on his career stats, we benefited big time but he is fundamentally pish. His 1st goal in 5 games tonight and he won't suddenly go on a Roun of goals now. But I accept your point we look bereft of a goal threat just now but would it have been any different with Watt still with us ? For me I don't think it would have.

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

Exactly, and our only attempt to replace him was by signing yet another winger who has no track record of scoring goals but “can play anywhere across the front three”. It’s so depressing. :this:

The sooner we get away from this play anywhere across the front three shite the better,it's a myth,we've had nobody that's been good at playing across the front three in recent times,as soon as we got shot of the likes of hylton and seedorf that should have been the end of it.

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Watts goal scoring efforts for us were a very strange blip on his career stats, we benefited big time but he is fundamentally pish. His 1st goal in 5 games tonight and he won't suddenly go on a Roun of goals now. But I accept your point we look bereft of a goal threat just now but would it have been any different with Watt still with us ? For me I don't think it would have.

Watt was winning every award going for us, long before his goal scoring blip. Fundamentally pish? Utter pish.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mfc said:

The sooner we get away from this play anywhere across the front three shite the better,it's a myth,we've had nobody that's been good at playing across the front three in recent times,as soon as we got shot of the likes of hylton and seedorf that should have been the end of it.

It worked to an extent before Watt left.

Now?  Open to debate but we don't even have two strikers that you could play off each other in the squad.  Playing one up front and hoofing it and we go back to Robinson tactics that were even worse to watch than the current style.

3? 2? 1?  I don't think there are any easy answers to the current lack of cutting edge.  

Anyone looking at the game stats would wonder what the hell we are all going on about. However I hope the manager doesn’t look at the stats and tell us how unlucky we were. The point to take away from the stats is that we can’t score against a team the is possibly as abysmal as we are. Another game where Kelly has no saves to make and we get beat. Other teams around us are also pish but right now we appear to be outpishing them all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It worked to an extent before Watt left.

Now?  Open to debate but we don't even have two strikers that you could play off each other in the squad.  Playing one up front and hoofing it and we got back to Robinson tactics that were even worse to watch than the current style.

I don't think there are any easy answers to the current lack of cutting edge.  

I'll give you that having watt on the left,I would definitely take that now.agreed there isn't two forwards in the squad that you would think could potentially make a decent pairing in a two.one up front would be a disaster,hoof ball stuff and no runners from midfield would be even worse than what were witnessing right now.i really think we're going to rue not bringing in another central striker and January.

59 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Home form is decent, away form is poor.

We've had four out of six away and Celtic at home.

I'd hold off from panicking for the moment.

I was more thinking of Maurice Malpas team that were 14 points clear in January and missed going down by a baw hair. Its the same kind of pointless shite. Hoof it long from Kelly is sadly a main tactic.

Been thinking that GA is reading "The Mixer", a book about tactics in EPL over the years. 

He has a team that were sitting comfortably in top 6 so why not play about with different tactics and squad rotation.  Problem is we don't have the quality of Liverpool, Man City etc. 

Hopefully he realises what happens in his head is not happening on the pitch and he goes back to what he knows best.

Is Goodwin and Martindale chopping and changing their team every match?

Let's get a settled starting 11 and run with it for a month. Even happy for him to stick with 4 3 3 as that is what he knows. 

One thing I notice is that other teams run at our defence and take men on. Woolery and Roberts don't cut it on this front.

We have many neat and tidy players but that won't cut it.

Donnelly needs dropped for sure.

Had we had Watt in our team tonight I think we would have at least scored.

41 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Im not so sure he wont do a good Job for Utd but I wasnt overly impressed by him tonight. Folk saying he laid on the first goal.. did he fuck he put in a bog standard cross that our defender headed clear and as luck would have it landed straight at Utd players feet and a great strike put it in our net. His goal I could have scored with piss poor defending, christ knows how he got man of the match.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

One thing I notice is that other teams run at our defence and take men on. Woolery and Roberts don't cut it on this front.

We have many neat and tidy players but that won't cut it.

Donnelly needs dropped for sure.

Had we had Watt in our team tonight I think we would have at least scored.

but we dinae and we didnt