Dundee United v Motherwell 09/02/2022

SteelmaninOZ

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im not so sure he wont do a good Job for Utd but I wasnt overly impressed by him tonight. Folk saying he laid on the first goal.. did he fuck he put in a bog standard cross that our defender headed clear and as luck would have it landed straight at Utd players feet and a great strike put it in our net. His goal I could have scored with piss poor defending, christ knows how he got man of the match.

Anyone saying that Watt wasn’t crucial for us is kidding themselves.

As I said before, he is the only reason we are sitting where we currently are in the table at this stage. Without his goals we would be fighting relegation just now as we have nothing in the way of goal threat in that side of ours.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

No one panicking just calling it for the utter shite it is. Fuck me a season of turgid football.

If you take away the 6 months of Turnbull Football  I think most of the football we've played for 4 or 5 seasons has been turgid.

We play in a turgid league .  Turgid is the standard.

I said it recently but teams like Hibs and Aberdeen who have much bigger budgets are even worse than us.  It's not just us.  

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

Anyone saying that Watt wasn’t crucial for us is kidding themselves.

As I said before, he is the only reason we are sitting where we currently are in the table at this stage. Without his goals we would be fighting relegation just now as we have nothing in the way of goal threat in that side of ours.

Never said that I said I wasnt overly impressed with him tonight. I expected him to tear us a new arsehole and he didnt.

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Never said that I said I wasnt overly impressed with him tonight. I expected him to tear us a new arsehole and he didnt.

Fair enough.

Granted he did ‘tear us a new arsehole’ but he showed us what we were missing by being there to grab the goal at the crucial moment.

just listened to the managers same old mumbling bumbling shite after match speak ( well not it all as it was total shite )    but he is possibly starting to sound like robbo now  as i said earlier does he know our best 11 and where to play them ? or do we not have a best 11 and he hasnt worked that out yet, either way he should watch the game on sat from the POD stand and watch proffesional footballers pass ball out for a shy or cant pass it to the same  feckin colour of shirt  or lastly couldnae score in a brothel,,,,,,,,,,,, your thoughts on that one please 

4 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Fair enough.

Granted he did ‘tear us a new arsehole’ but he showed us what we were missing by being there to grab the goal at the crucial moment.

Why does everyone think that Tony Watt has suddenly become Mo Salah 1 goal in 5 games for Untd  and by all accounts it was more to do with shite defending rather than brilliant play by him.

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Why does everyone think that Tony Watt has suddenly become Mo Salah 1 goal in 5 games for Untd  and by all accounts it was more to do with shite defending rather than brilliant play by him.

Tony Watt is a good player when on form you cant take that away from him however his first goal in 6 games was ALL down to us. Anyone with eyesight knew we'd gift him or someone else a goal. 

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Nobody's claiming he's Mo Salah, but you're obsessing over his goals. Are you honestly saying you thought he wasn't bringing a lot more to the team before he left, or that you can't see how clueless we're looking without him?

Tonight's result came as no surprise to me and in our current shocking run I don't care how we play so long as we pick up points. Surprised that Donnelly was still staring with no sign of Dean Cornelius and we had no strikers starting. Over the years I've seen many games just like this at Tannadice.

I don't know if GA knows his best 11 and I sure as hell don't. I don't even know our best set up. In mitigation, we've been disrupted by injuries and we don't know whats been happening behind the scenes. We have some decent players, like Slattery, who aren't performing for whatever reason. The only thing I know is that if we play 3 midfielders, then they should be Slattery, Goss and Cornelius. In defence, I don't know our best line up.   Months ago I would have said that it must involve Ojala but he seems to be made of glass. I was genuinely shocked to see him pitched in tonight after having been out for months.

It could be that the 4-3-3 set up doesn't suit the squad we have. If Tierney plays then we must ditch 4-3-3.  I have real problems up front. As I see it we only have 2 out and out strikers - one isn't ready and the other is currently doing nothing. This should have been rectified when Watt left, and thats another issue.  We have 4 wingers, none of whom is setting the heather on fire, albeit one is still settling in.

We're on a shocking run just now, with no end in sight, albeit thats against the better teams, but I doubt if we'd have fared any better against bottom 6 sides.  Whatever w edo that run has to be arrested.

Interesting tonight that Celtic dished out a 3-2 hammering to Aberdeen.  

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I though Dylan Levitt was their best player and TW was much of a muchness.

Fair enough. I'm sure none of us are really bothered who their best player was, but if all he did was score a tap in, that still makes him far more effective than any of our front players.

Just now, Yodo said:

That u trying tae defend another shite talker clueless manager 

You know my views on sacking manager after manager, it rarely brings success. Do you feel we’re in a better place than we were under Robinson ?  We now have a good few players on long contracts, any new manager will have his hands ties because of that and certainy won’t have money to spend.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You know my views on sacking manager after manager, it rarely brings success. Do you feel we’re in a better place than we were under Robinson ?  We now have a good few players on long contracts, any new manager will have his hands ties because of that and certainy won’t have money to spend.

If he’s got to go then he goes . Plenty out of work managers it’s just picking the right one that we are not good at

15 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Well I don’t think anyone has actually said that he “has become Mo Salah” but what cannot be disputed is that his goals in the first half of the season were a big factor in us winning the majority of games that we did and why we found ourselves sitting 4th at the winter break.

Tonight he was playing against us and we struggled to create anything of note yet he managed to score the goal that killed us off. That is/was our top goalscorer this season scoring the goal tonight that finished us off while we failed to score…you can dress that up any way you want but that is a hammer blow and a half…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Well I don’t think anyone has actually said that he “has become Mo Salah” but what cannot be disputed is that his goals in the first half of the season were a big factor in us winning the majority of games that we did and why we found ourselves sitting 4th at the winter break.

Tonight he was playing against us and we struggled to create anything of note yet he managed to score the goal that killed us off. That is/was our top goalscorer this season scoring the goal tonight that finished us off while we failed to score…you can dress that up any way you want but that is a hammer blow and a half…

A hammer blow and a half....OK then , we have been shit for weeks, can't buy a goal etc and our form has been no different to the teams around us, but we find ourselves still joint 4th and still well in the mix for top 6 and Europe so 7 games and 21 points to play for before the split so no time for pant wetting just yet.

People suggesting the manager should be sacked when he saved us from probable relegation last season, has us in the Top 6 virtually all of this season and are 8 points max away from Premiership survival in February,  need to have a look at themselves.

We are running a professional football club with 4,000 supporters in a footballing backwater with a shoestring budget.

It is what it is.  

Most of our problems are symptomatic of the league not the manager.  Until we start producing better quality players or can afford to import them the quality of the football isn't going to improve any.  

We are on a poor run with a lot of away fixtures and tough home matches but we're in a decent position overall.  Even if we end up 7th or 8th that's a reasonable performance for a team that doesn't have a single outfield player that could step up a level.

• Like 4