Dundee United v Motherwell 09/02/2022

SteelmaninOZ

The simple truth is that, since the break, we have played six league games and scored two goals. The fact that we have somehow managed to pick up two points almost feels like a positive. Hopefully we already have enough points to secure our status, because at this rate we are likely to only pick up a further four points. Relying on the premise that most of our rivals are equally crap doesn't seem the soundest of plans going forward.

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

A hammer blow and a half....OK then , we have been shit for weeks, can't buy a goal etc and our form has been no different to the teams around us, but we find ourselves still joint 4th and still well in the mix for top 6 and Europe so 7 games and 21 points to play for before the split so no time for pant wetting just yet.

I am far from a pant wetter and generally shout them down.

But by Christ this year we have transformed into an utterly shite team.

We gift goals like confetti. Literally every shot on goal is a goal. That even strikes me as borderline bizarre. 

We now have no one to score goals. 

The Manager changes line ups like I change my underwear. It is quite obvious that is having a detrimental effect on the players. 

I was a fan of Alexander. He has done a good job in the year he was in charge. Numerous Manager of the months etc. 

Bit things are unravelling and fast. Tonight’s interview was the 1st time I thought he is struggling and largely waffling. 

Just don’t know where any goals  will come from. 

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Very strange season . Not been pleasant on the eye.

We’ve gone from punishing teams with the very chances we made to not being able to buy a goal.  Add to that goals conceded . 

suspect we were riding our luck previously and it’s simply ran out .

possibly right in that chances are not going in now, arguably we made more chances in that game than in the two games v Aberdeen this season,  games we won two nil.

On the positive , having seen hibs, dundee utd and St mirrem recently,  they aren't any better.

I'm by no means saying we should be hunting alexander but he needs to start getting things right and quick or the hard work put in before the break is going to count for nothing.we have went from a fairly organised side that was decent defensively,maybe not great to watch but definitely effective to a team that is shambolic in only a few weeks.the constant chopping and changing has to stop,I get when things aren't going well,making changes and looking for the answers is an easy thing to do but at the minute it isn't the solution,get your best 11 on the park and ride it out and hopefully we turn the corner as soon as possible.confidence and fitness looks to be completely gone at the minute,we need a big result and saturday would be the perfect time for it.

18 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

A hammer blow and a half....OK then , we have been shit for weeks, can't buy a goal etc and our form has been no different to the teams around us, but we find ourselves still joint 4th and still well in the mix for top 6 and Europe so 7 games and 21 points to play for before the split so no time for pant wetting just yet.

i ain't pant wetting i just think we are shite to watch and its utterly mind numbing game after game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

whats classless about celebrating with your own fans. we dont know what started the tiff with burrows and probably never will cos  no one knows who said what.

Tony said he wanted to sign for Utd and further his career,  Burrows said fukoff then , we won’t miss you.  We could do with some money anyway . Mmmmm that worked out well then.

Four of our most recent managers (Gannon, Barraclough, Robinson & Alexander) have concentrated on bringing players to FP from the nether back woods of lower league English football (old 4th division) and from no-account non-league sides.

One reason why they’ve done so, is that having plied their football trade in England, these are clearly “fishing grounds” with which they are familiar.  Another reason is that we operate on a shoestring playing budget and these are most likely the level of player that we can afford.

Whilst the fan-ownership of the club is an idyll, the sad truth is that we simply do not have a big enough fan base for this.  I don’t doubt the players are all doing their level best but the fact is, this is as good as they are.  Sad to say this means we can probably expect to get much more of what is presently being served-up.

9 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

teams dont need to be good against just patient. we will ALWAYS gift goals.

Thats been the case for a few seasons now, although the current run takes the biscuit. I always believe in building from the back and making a team hard to beat, but that hasn't happened for years.  We have one of the poorest performing "defences" in the league. 

We've not been playing good football and most fans will accept that as long as we're winning, but they won't accept that if we're losing. For a team of our size - mid Scottish top league we'll never be able to field a good footballing team that can achieve results. There's always a trade off. 

7 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am far from a pant wetter and generally shout them down.

But by Christ this year we have transformed into an utterly shite team.

We gift goals like confetti. Literally every shot on goal is a goal. That even strikes me as borderline bizarre. 

We now have no one to score goals. 

The Manager changes line ups like I change my underwear. It is quite obvious that is having a detrimental effect on the players. 

I was a fan of Alexander. He has done a good job in the year he was in charge. Numerous Manager of the months etc. 

Bit things are unravelling and fast. Tonight’s interview was the 1st time I thought he is struggling and largely waffling. 

Just don’t know where any goals  will come from. 

Alexander needs to up his game, for some reason he can’t seem to decide on his best 11 and he’s playing strange formations that just don’t work, the forward line last night looked like a disaster from the start.  But we should still not forget that in a 12 month period he was the most successful manager outside of the old firm and that’s with a club with a core support of 4000.  Paying off a management team that’s just signed a new long term contract is going to be expensive and we have a core of players on long term contracts that are going nowhere. Other managers are out of work for a reason, it’s never as simple as just bringing in a sure fire success and at Motherwell what is success, for some being 4th in the league and reaching 2 cup finals in a season is not good enough. We’re on a bad run and that’s down to Alexander and it was quite obvious in his post match interview he’s fully aware he’s now under pressure and it’s what he does next starting on Saturday  that matters.

• Like 1

It's been massively frustrating since returning from the Winter break, we managed to dig results out at the start of the season without playing well but as time progressed we actually started to play really well and it was particularly pleasing when we beat the likes of Dundee United, Hearts and St Johnstone without them getting as much as a sniff at goal, it seems like we have went right off the rails as defensively as we are giving away horrendous goals while at the same time we seem creatively bankrupt going forward. Its a real shame we have hit a bit of a rut as we had a real chance to go clear in fourth but instead its all became a bit more condensed, a few clubs have a game in hand and will be breathing right down our necks. 

I'm assuming Alexander has been changing the line up frequently due to the sheer volume of games as of late, I honestly can't wait to get February over with as it seems like it will be a tough few weeks. 

9 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Just as I’ve seen this line that we’re joint 4th a few times. We are 5th as that’s how a league works. We are 5th because our GD is pretty dire for a team in the top half of the league. If the league finished today we wouldn’t be going round saying we finished joint 4th. But as you say, the fact we are 5th is more an equally damning statistic on the rest of the league.  The fact that United, Hibs and Aberdeen have rookie managers in charge is the only reason we are where we are in the league at the moment. I wouldn’t exactly say it’s something to be celebrating. 

But we are still in the hunt somehow, but it’ll count for nothing if the form doesn’t seriously turn around. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

For a team of our size - mid Scottish top league we'll never be able to field a good footballing team that can achieve results. There's always a trade off. 

We have done this on a number of occasions. As have Kilmarnock and to a lesser extent St Johnstone. 

It's not impossible. 

7 hours ago, El Grew said:

Whilst the fan-ownership of the club is an idyll, the sad truth is that we simply do not have a big enough fan base for this.  I don’t doubt the players are all doing their level best but the fact is, this is as good as they are. 

Fan ownership is reality not an idyll. Half the top six is fan owned. 

The problem is signing players who are shite and signing too many of them. If we had just signed one quality replacement for Watt using his fee and wage, the fee and wages we could have had for punting Lamie, the fee we paid for Effront and his wage and the wages of Shaw and Niernold we would be better off.

The manager publicly stated he didn't want a direct replacement for Watt. Our transfer policy in January has crippled us on the park. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

whats classless about celebrating with your own fans. we dont know what started the tiff with burrows and probably never will cos  no one knows who said what.

Cupping the ear to the away fans is classless, he went to double his wages , no one is blaming him for that, but no need to play the hard done done to party. A few months ago he was celebrating with well fans.....he left , I wished him all the best and thanked him but doesn't need to act like that.....don't think he is a member of Mensa tbf.

Last night was poor show, bad/slack passing, however, the thing that annoyed me the most is some players pulling out of tackles and should no commitment.  Very poor.

I can take losing but players showing no heart is unacceptable.

We give teams too much space down the wings, most of the gaols come from crosses our back post overloads

50 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We have done this on a number of occasions. As have Kilmarnock and to a lesser extent St Johnstone. 

It's not impossible. 

I don't recall Killie being lauded as a fine footballing team, and as successful as St Johnstone have been they've been dire to watch for years. 

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't recall Killie being lauded as a fine footballing team, and as successful as St Johnstone have been they've been dire to watch for years. 

They were a good side when they had Paatalienen and Shiels as managers. 

Killie under Clarke and St Johnstone for most of Wright's time were top 6 six sides because they scored goals. We are not currently comparable to them having only scored 2 in 6 since Burrows successfully lobbied to get the winter break brought forward. 

There are shades of two years ago about us now. Like then we have lost our main front man (Scott then, now Watt) and have returned from the winter break in dismal form yet find ourselves in a lofty position thanks to being able to shitfest our way to results in the first half of the season. We were fortunate then (in a footballing sense of course) that the pandemic ended the season early and that created a sort of ‘false’ look to the season.

Our transfer business in January was dreadful and totally baffling that we didn’t make any serious attempt to replace the only player capable of scoring regularly and we are paying the price for that.