Motherwell v Aberdeen 12/02/22

pretzel

Thankfully we can draw a line under league business for a week as we move onto our Scottish Cup tie with Aberdeen. Hopefully we see a nice bumper crowd at Fir Park as the games not on TV. Hopefully this is the turning point in our form, I wouldn't be surprised to see this game go into extra time, Van Veen has enjoyed fixtures against the Dons so hopefully this Saturday is no different.

7 minutes ago, prideoflanarkshire said:

Nothing to fear, they are dreadful

And we are not at the moment ?

Say what u want but they also managed to score 2 goals against Celtic and only lose by the odd goal. 

Two poor teams and next two games are pivotal for both Managers and players alike. 

I would almost rather win the league game if I could choose. Beating Rangers and / or Celtic is simply not going to happen anytime soon. It would be good for the bank balance to get to a semi final or final. 

Wish the league game was first. 

Christ knows what team he will pick. I don’t know if the Manager knows. In fairness apart from Donnelly I was OK with starting line up last night. 

Back to basics (though it won't happen) 

Kelly

O'donnell     Sol.             Mugabi.    Mcginley

Woolery.        Goss.         Slatts.        Roberts

KVV.        Efford

Like I say, wishful thinking on my part

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wellup83 said:

Back to basics (though it won't happen) 

Kelly

O'donnell     Sol.             Mugabi.    Mcginley

Woolery.        Goss.         Slatts.        Roberts

KVV.        Efford

Like I say, wishful thinking on my part

I hope so , did your TV go blank last night the four you have in the middle were abysmal couldn’t pass the ball or go past people not just last night their form has been shocking 

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

I hope so , did your TV go blank last night the four you have in the middle were abysmal couldn’t pass the ball or go past people not just last night their form has been shocking 

Not like he’s left out our 4 GOOD midfielders.  Whoever you pick for midfield, it’s not looking good. 

I can’t think of this game without Rory Fallon popping into my head. Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to seeing how we respond to recent disappointments. I like Alexander a lot but recent chopping and changing has been a little unnerving. I hope we can get our best 11 players on the park on Saturday. Last time we met at Fir Park, Watt nullified the influence of Brown - I wonder who will have that task on Saturday. 

This fixture fills me with dread. Make or break the rest of the season. With all league indications pointing to a mediocre mid table ending this could add some excitement to the mix. Hopefully Alexander has done some serious homework because as much as Aberdeen are guff they have potential to dish out an absolute drubbing, which we've not had in a while off them.

As for a starting lineup...who knows.

2 hours ago, StirlingDosser said:

This fixture fills me with dread. Make or break the rest of the season. With all league indications pointing to a mediocre mid table ending this could add some excitement to the mix. Hopefully Alexander has done some serious homework because as much as Aberdeen are guff they have potential to dish out an absolute drubbing, which we've not had in a while off them.

As for a starting lineup...who knows.

Us against any top flight side in a cup tie fills me with dread, our record in that regard is appalling.

Played them at home in Cup 7 times but only one win in March 1958 - early Ancell Babes team: H. Weir, Holton, McFadyen, Aitken, Martis,  McCann, McSeveney, Quinn, St.John, Forrest, A. Weir.  Crowd 19,000. We led 1-0 at half-time via o.g. in 34 mins. They levelled in 49 minutes and Ian St. John got the winner in 61 minutes. 

We then lost 3-2 to Clyde in the semi-final.  Team: H. Weir, Holton, McSeveney, Aitken, Martis, McCann, Hunter, Quinn, St. John, Forrest, A. Weir.

28 minutes ago, El Grew said:

We’ve played Aberdeen in the Cup at Fir Park 7 times (3 replays) but only beaten them once - 2-1 win in March 1958 (very early days of the Ancell Babes). Team: H. Weir, Holton, McFadyen, Aitken, Martis, McCann, McSeveney, Quinn, St.John, Forrest, A. Weir.  A crowd of 19,000 watched us lead 1-0 at half-time via an Aberdeen o.g. in 34 minutes.  Aberdeen levelled in 49 minutes and Ian St. John got the winner in 61 minutes.

In the 1/2 final at Parkhead and a crowd of 41,000 we lost 3-2 to Clyde who beat Hibs 1-0 in final. Team: H.Weir, Holton, McSeveney, Aitken, Martis, McCann, Hunter, Quinn, St. John, Forrest, A. Weir.

Nice stats, cheers

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Played them in the Cup at Fir Park 7 times (3 replays) but only won once. That was a 2-1 win in March 1958 - early Ancell Babes. Team: H. Weir, Holton, McFadyen, Aitken, Martis,  McCann, McSeveney, Quinn,St.JohnForrest, A. Weir.  Crowd of 19,000 saw us lead 1-0 at half-time via an o.g. in 34 mins. Aberdeen levelled in 49 minutes and Ian St. John got the winner in 61 minutes.

In the 1/2 final at Parkhead, crowd of 41,000, we lost 3-2 to Clyde who beat Hibs 1-0 in final. Team: H.Weir, Holton, McSeveney, Aitken, Martis, McCann, Hunter, Quinn, St. John, Forrest, A. Weir.

Jeez, the omens for us tomorrow just keep looking worse. :rolleyes: *

I remember losing to them in the 3rd round in 95/96 at Fir Park. It was a midweek game live on SKY if I remember correctly and it was bang smack in the middle of a wretched run where we hadn’t scored in several matches. We lost 2-0 with Duncan Shearer getting one of the goals.

Then in 2012 we went out of the Scottish Cup twice, albeit in different seasons, both times losing 2-1 after being 2-0 down and the aforementioned Rory Fallon scoring on both occasions. 

* and yes, I am well aware that these stats don’t mean anything in terms of the game tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

JI remember losing to them in the 3rd round in 95/96 at Fir Park. It was a midweek game live in SKY if I remember correctly and it was bang smack in the middle of a wretched run where we hadn’t scored in several matches.

See my post on the Dundee United thread.

I was at FP in January 1982 when we played Aberdeen in the 1st round.  We’d a decent side at that time and were looking forward to maybe causing an upset.

There was a big crowd of around 14,000, I think, and we’d only just gotten in for the kick-off.  I think Aberdeen kicked-off and almost immediately John Hewitt scored. We couldn’t believe it.  The official time for the goal was 9.6 seconds and it was, and still is, the fastest ever goal scored in the Scottish Cup.

We regained our composure and had a right good go at them but we just couldn’t get past Leighton, McLeish and Miller that day.

34 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I was at FP in January 1982 when we played Aberdeen in the 1st round.  We’d a decent side at that time and were looking forward to maybe causing an upset.

There was a big crowd of around 14,000, I think, and we’d only just gotten in for the kick-off.  I think Aberdeen kicked-off and almost immediately John Hewitt scored. We couldn’t believe it.  The official time for the goal was 9.6 seconds and it was, and still is, the fastest ever goal scored in the Scottish Cup.

We regained our composure and had a right good go at them but we just couldn’t get past Leighton, McLeish and Miller that day.

I remember that game well, myself and my 2 mates were in the POD, had not even sat down, walking down the stairs and we were 1 down.