Motherwell v Aberdeen 12/02/22

pretzel

One of our best performances this season. In was impressed with all the front three, Efford looks a good signing and reminds me a bit of Marvin Johnson. O Hara made a big difference and that’s the best Donnelly has been for some time. Aberdeen really are an awful team though, if that had been our defending our players would have taken dogs abuse. I am however not a fan of Alexander’s tactic of taking off offensive players and sitting back deep, Aberdeen are crap and all we did but put extra pressure on ourselves with Kelly getting him out of jail, for gods sake just keep the same shape.

4 minutes to go and Glass and his assistant are quietly huddled in the dugout from the rain while Alexander is out on the touchline screaming orders. Aberdeen are a shambles.

Delighted with the win today, a real battle and hopefully we kick on and save our league campaing now too.

41 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Throwing bottles at the young Aberdeen right back. Also any time he takes a throw in in front of the Well Bois there are grown men rushing down to the front of the stand with nothing but rage in their face screaming at him from 3 feet away and giving him all sorts of hand 

This was disappointing and has no place at Fir Park. Been a tad ill lately so had to watch via stream so aye as you said grown pink men running down the stairs to scream is something else.

But on the other hand what a cup tie. I can't believe I'm saying this but what a finish from KVV but KVV also really needs to work on his finishing. We should have buried Aberdeen by about 3 or 4 by my reckoning. A good performance but the added time has destroyed my blood pressure

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Donnelly retains his place and O’Hara starts with Slattery benched. Alexander is taking the piss with that, it’s almost like that Only an Excuse sketch from years ago of Alex McLeish picking his Rangers team in the style of a Cup draw, except this is real.

Old man Broon will have a field day in the middle of the park against Donnelly today. :wallbash:

What r u saying now, i would be interested to hear. Great performance today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Right, so every time I get angry and gob off about a team selection and make a prediction of doom, I'm 100% wrong, so....

That is an awful team selection and will get us humped......

Glad to see I haven't lost my prediction skills :-)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stv said:

What r u saying now, i would be interested to hear. Great performance today.

It was yes.

That has to be one of the most satisfying results we’ve had in recent years. When we went 1-0 down inside the first few minutes, in the manner we did, having just had an offside call, in those conditions, it looked like one of those frustrating Cup ties that we’ve seen all to often.

However a superb strike by van Veen to level and to go 2-1 ahead on the stroke of half time was a real shot in the arm for us, and a real blow for them. 

Well done Motherwell :woop:

2 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

It was yes.

That has to be one of the most satisfying results we’ve had in recent years. When we went 1-0 down inside the first few minutes, in the manner we did, having just had an offside call, in those conditions, it looked like one of those frustrating Cup ties that we’ve seen all to often.

However a superb strike by van Veen to level and to go 2-1 ahead on the stroke of half time was a real shot in the arm for us, and a real blow for them. 

Well done Motherwell :woop:

Great stuff....... On the original comment it was all about Donnelly but Old man Broon is totally finished and I think he is part of their issues. If I was Ferguson I would be on the next bus out of Aberdeen.

You are right I was fearing the worst after the offside and it did look like it could well be the type of game you describe.

Didn't have a good angle for the disallowed goal will be interesting to see the TV pictures.

Thought we were still thinking about that when Aberdeen scored.  Good header but I thought at the time maybe Kelly could have been more authoritative  might be wrong but that was my impression.

Were pretty ropey for 10 minutes or so with Ojala having a nightmare.

After that though Aberdeen disappeared out the game and we got goals at important times.

First half was enjoyable without being a technical spectacle but thought 2nd half we actually played quite well.  Someone else mentioned the front three, thought they did very well today and we defended so much better after those shaky early moments.

Deserved winners.  Concerns about some of our fan behaviour thought....

Easily Donnelly’s best game by a mile since he came back. O’Hara and Goss also playing well.  What a difference when your midfield players actually play. Efforts put in a power of work. Terrific break from defense late on to set up chance for KVV. O’Hara and Bevis also producing gut busting runs out of defense during the game.  Although took Bevis about 5 mins to recover but luckily Aberdeen were pedestrian at getting the ball back up the field. Ojala had nightmare start but then settled down. Hope we can use this to finish the season strong

edit: I spelled his name wrong but leaving it since it fits well. 

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Easily Donnelly’s best game by a mile since he came back.

Maybe that's why Alexander kept playing him, when all us armchair critics were screaming that he was shite, because if he can get back to his old self he's a huge asset. Same with Ojala and his apparent disappearing pace, I hope.

On which note, I've seen glaciers that moved faster than Tom Aldred, but like Ojala he had the nous to usually be in the right place at the right time to start with.