Motherwell v Aberdeen 12/02/22

pretzel

No failures today , we had a rocky start and settled into the game. We have no pace in the centre of defence which is a concern. However not a day for whinging we've done enough of that over that last 6 weeks.  Thought Efford showed some great touhces, Donnelly was as good as he was poor on Wednesday. The score should have been more comfortable. We  e special mention to Lammie to stop an almost certain equaliser in injury time at the back post. What a difference to the way he's leaving than that cunt TW.  KVV great goal but so frustrating he could have had a hat trick.  Pl;ease no OF tie in the next round. My preference would be Dundee Utd at Fir Park but a home tie not involving the OF is all we can hope for. GA must have nerves of steel, he must be so certain we can defend a game out cos the finishing team wasnt exactly set up to win in extra time.

Just now, texanwellfan said:

They were throwing stuff onto the field at Aberdeen players. They need to just not do that. 

Not just throwing stuff , not throwing the ball back etc but at least a dozen of them were on the park goading the Aberdeen fans and in general behaving like a bunch of wee fannies.

Only heard the game on the radio, but that was a very pleasing result. Biting fingernails at the end with Kellys save, but the perfect response to a disappointing few weeks. Hopefully it will kickstart us for the run in. Fingers crossed for a favourable home draw in the next round!

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Not just throwing stuff , not throwing the ball back etc but at least a dozen of them were on the park goading the Aberdeen fans and in general behaving like a bunch of wee fannies.

That seems to be happening more and more in football these days and not just with our own fans. No excuses for it to be honest, just support your team without that carry on.

Five minutes in and I was having flashbacks of Greg Denham v Ayr Utd. Ojala was so slow and looked like he was struggling. With that, and recent performances from Sol and Carrol, I feared the worst, but we didn't really give them much of a sniff again until the last few minutes. That save from Kelly was priceless.

Bevis was brilliant, and when he was sent up to waste time at the corner I thought it was a master stroke. There were a couple of times where he just let folk bounce off him, and it was great. He is hopeless going forward, outside of just barging his way up the line, but I'll allow it.

Our midfield worked their arses off, and O'Hara had a great game considering he was out for so long.

Efford looks like he fits into the Scottish game well. He has plenty of pace and is direct. VV benefits from having the two strong runners around him.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The Aberdeen fans are taking it really badly. Videos on social media of their players walking through them in the South Stand and you can just taste the rage from them. That and Richard Gordon’s obvious hurt on Radio Scotland just makes the win all the sweeter. 

Get it right round the lot of them. :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

I thought we were excellent most of the game, by far the better team. We came back from the goal well and dominated. My only critisism is that the last 10mins of Aberdeen pressure was all of our own making. I understand there are times to shut up shop but we were pounding Aberdeen.  Taking off the attackers and bringing everyone back gifted Aberdeen their best 10 minutes of pressure. Had they scored, we were heading into ET with no real goal threats. GA needs to learn a happy medium.

Anyway, we are through, we played well and we got some goals. Lots to be positive about. Enjoy your evening.  She wore.....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I would imagine the club will need to step in again, I love the atmosphere they create but they were a compleat embarrassment today, even more embarrassing are some of the middle aged guys in amongst them. They need one or two in there to keep them in check because most of them are just kids that probably have parents that are just as bad. Some decent role models would not go amiss.

• Like 1

When GA first arrived I remember reading Salford fans biggest complaint about Alexander was his tendency to shut up shop and defend one goal leads even when on the front foot. It seems to be a tatic he still stands by. 

On Donnelly.  Great to see him play well. Our supporters should try not to forget how important he was for us before his injury. He was out for a long time. It will take a while longer for him to return to his best. As supporters we should give players the time and support to do that. 

Great response from mid-week. As someone mentioned above, D Utd at Firpark would make for a great Cup tie next. 

Happy Saturday night all. 

5 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

Superb performance today from everyone. Thought O'Hara brought a bit of quality to the midfield which has been missing in recent weeks. Effords "goal" was definitely onside. I was sat right behind the so called linesman and it wasn't even close. Huge mistake which thankfully didn't cost us. 

I missed the offside call, made it just in time to see Aberdeen score. Be interesting to see it on highlights. 

After my fit of pessimism a few days ago, I was delighted with the commitment and energy shown today: what a difference. KVV is much better with Shields and Efford (thought his goal was wrongly ruled out) on either side rather than being isolated with little support from midfield and it looks like we may have a functioning forward line again. Taking the latter off late on was a bad decision because it took the pressure off the Sheep defence and invited Aberdeen forward. Thank God Kelly did his usual wonder save.

Both Donnelly and O'Hara were surprisingly good today in a physical match but I was alarmed at Ojala early on. He didn't look match-ready and was all over the place but gradually he steadied up.

A home tie not involving The Cheeks would give us all hope in the cup.

Lovely to see Gallagher and Grampa Broon disconsolate at the end.

Just now, Ya Bezzer! said:

I thought the atmosphere at the match was quite good today but it's a little disappointing that there was less than 4,000 Motherwell fans at home in a Scottish Cup tie against Aberdeen.

When you serve up utter shite week after week fans are not going to fork out £18 on a freezing pissing wet February day on the "hope" that we might not be shite. 

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

When you serve up utter shite week after week fans are not going to fork out £18 on a freezing pissing wet February day on the "hope" that we might not be shite. 

Thats supporting motherwell I'm a nutshell though. Turning up week after week watching shite for those occasional moments where its all worth it (mibbe).

Probably why only get 4,000 in.

2 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Thats supporting motherwell I'm a nutshell though. Turning up week after week watching shite for those occasional moments where its all worth it (mibbe).

Probably why only get 4,000 in.

yes because the hard core support come out. The Periodically interested Motherwell fan will not turn up for games like today on the back of the run we've been on.

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

yes because the hard core support come out. The Periodically interested Motherwell fan will not turn up for games like today on the back of the run we've been on.

I hope they enjoyed their afternoon doon the shops.

• Like 1

After losing the early goal we were really shoogly, particularly our defenders, for about 10 minutes.  However after that we settled and grew into the game and from then until half-time we bossed the game and were deservedly in front.  And what a great time to go in front just on half-time. I think it took the wind right out of their sails.

At the start of the 2nd half we again looked a wee bit shaky for about 10 minutes.  However we then picked-up where we’d left off in the 1st half and bossed the game up until the last 10 minutes when our manager decided it was a good idea to remove 2 forwards and drop deep into our own half.  He’s really very fortunate it didn’t blow-up in his face.

I thought everyone played really well in what were horrendous conditions.  I would make special mention of Mugabi, Donnelly and van Veen.  My MoM was Donnelly. I thought he had a great game and totally bossed the midfield - Scott Brown seems to bring the best out of him.

Only one negative for me, was Jake Carrol.  I lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away to an Aberdeen player - he even managed it from a throw-in.  Specsavers?