Motherwell v Aberdeen 12/02/22

pretzel

I thought that was a great game of football, I wish we could play Aberdeen every week though. The first 10 -15 minutes we looked unfit and dis-organised at the back, I'd like to see the two early goals again though. Add in some very strange refereeing decisions and I thought we were in for a totally awful afternoon. Once we settled down it was a different game though, Goss, O'Hara and, the much maligned Donnelly put in a great shift, the back four settled down and the front three gave Aberdeen no peace at all. 2-1 at half time flattered them, and up until the substitutions changed our shape, we looked as comfortable as a comfortable thing from comfortable land. 

I hope Aberdeen don't sack Glass though, the seethe from their fans was hilarious. :D

Really enjoyed that today. A really entertaining, good old-fashioned, blood and thunder cup tie with lots of commitment in terrible conditions. Without doubt,  thr better team won and Really should have won by a more convincing margin. However,  it is the cup so a win is all that matters. 

We actually had a midfield today that competed and dominated the opposition and a front three that hassled and harried the Aberdeen defence all day long. Well done to every one of the players today. They all played their part in a great win.

Oh and thank you Liam Kelly.

Let's do it all over again next week to restart our league campaign.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I thought the atmosphere at the match was quite good today but it's a little disappointing that there was less than 4,000 Motherwell fans at home in a Scottish Cup tie against Aberdeen.

Check out the weather 

That was a proper cup tie today, I absolutely loved it. Some would have had question marks about the midfield selection before kickoff but O’Hara  was outstanding on his return and Donnelly was at the heart of everything. As a team, we showed true grit and determination to recover from a shaky start and should have won more comfortably in the end. Credit to Alexander for getting everything spot on today to get us into the quarter finals and rack up a 3rd victory over Aberdeen this season - is a 4th next week too much to ask for? 

Early days but Efford has shown plenty of promise, he might turn out to be a bit of a fans favourite. 

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

The Aberdeen fans are taking it really badly. Videos on social media of their players walking through them in the South Stand and you can just taste the rage from them. That and Richard Gordon’s obvious hurt on Radio Scotland just makes the win all the sweeter. 

Get it right round the lot of them. :sarcastichand:

All of this…….especially that wee clique of sheep worriers that run BBC Donsound on a so called national broadcaster. Not listened to them for years because of their sheep bias. I can just imagine them greetin’ into their red wool covered mics. GIRUY Gordon, Miller & co.

22 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Credit to Alexander for getting everything spot on today to get us into the quarter finals and rack up a 3rd victory over Aberdeen this season - is a 4th next week too much to ask for? 

Not if Glass is still there. But they're at home to St Johnstone on Tuesday, so there's every chance he won't be.

Was taking a month off forum but feck it, i am buzzing tonight. First of all the negatives.  1) if you only come to fir park to invade pitch and throw objects at players then do us a favour and stay away,  you just drag the club down.  2) KVV scored vital goal but the cheap bookings are going to cost us , played on the edge today.    Now to positives,  we showed great guts after a honking start,  donnelly miles better today and ohara made a difference.  Efford showed more in short time than woolery in whole season and we shouid give him proper run in team.  As for Liam Kelly......most crucial signing we have made in years.......COYW

• Like 1

Yes it was disappointing less than 4000 home fans turned up.  We do have a fair weather support. 

If we were on a good run we could have had 5000+ in the game today. Sadly we have too many part time fans who bottle it when the going gets tough.  Not enough kohones to front up. You know who your are.

I was raging at the 1st goal we should have scored. We were in line with it and it looked all the world to be onside. If I am wrong then fine but by Christ if not it was just another awful decision against us.  That linesman was behind play several times. 

All said and done a great performance. The players were right up for it. No failures but I was impressed with Joe Efford. He reminds me of Henrik Ojamma.

All in all. Well deserved win. I look forward to Celtic at Parkhead in the next round…..

Regarding this forum & Facebook - couple of people who doubted us today expressing the delight of a victory.  Well done boys. The rest notable in their absence, I'm sure they will be back next time we lose.

It's ok to not be an Alexander fan, and it's ok to express any doubt about any players or tactics after defeat, lastly it's ok to say well done to the boys on a quarter cup final qualification irrespective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

All said and done a great performance. The players were right up for it. No failures but I was impressed with Joe Efford. He reminds me of Henrik Ojamma.

His direct running and the quick change of direction gives off Ojamma vibes also. Looking forward to seeing more of the big chap.  Sportscene all but confirming his goal should has stood.

1 hour ago, Pronounced Kenyrd Skunyrd said:

All of this…….especially that wee clique of sheep worriers that run BBC Donsound on a so called national broadcaster. Not listened to them for years because of their sheep bias. I can just imagine them greetin’ into their red wool covered mics. GIRUY Gordon, Miller & co.

I agree with your opinion of them however i was shocked driving home, Miller was 100% viewing the same game we did. After the goal, we asserted ourselves and the day belonged to us. Fair play, i really didnt expect him to come out with it

1 hour ago, Pronounced Kenyrd Skunyrd said:

Beating Aberdeen will never not be satisfying  due to the ‘Sportsound mafia’ of their fans who don’t even attempt to hide their allegiances, plus a lot of Aberdeen fans in general are some of the most obnoxious, ignorant arseholes in football. Some of the things I’ve heard them singing and shouting at matches at Fir Park over the years is every bit as bad, if not worse, than the Old Firm fans whom they would have you believe they are morally superior to.

As I've said before, I don't mind guys like Gordon or Miller giving their opinions, because we know they are Aberdeen fans and can filter accordingly. Much better that way than the ones who have OF loyalties but pretend they support other teams.

• Like 3

That is supposed to be a national show, yet Gordon and Miller frequently refer to Aberdeen as ‘we’ and are blatantly biased live on air about them. Anyone who heard Gordon’s mumping and moaning after the Craig Reid game in 2014 will know what i mean. It was/is totally unprofessional.

The ones who support one of the Old Firm yet play it down at least attempt to show a bit of impartiality, ie. Chick Young with Rangers and Hugh Keevins with Celtic. It’s relatively well known that Keevins is a Celtic fan and that Young supports Rangers, despite his St.Mirren gimmick. At least they treat their listeners with a bit of respect to not refer to their team as “we” live on air.

• Like 1

Thought after all the negative stuff after our league displays since new year that was a real brave performance especially after first 5 minutes. 
Ohara and Efford made massive difference to the way we play , Shields also , rapid , and given a role today to use that pace .

Play a forward line like that every week will terrorise teams in the league, most defences are slow across the back , should continue with this game plan. 
Liam  Donnelly is still working his way back and as expected has struggled as his game is based on strength and physical side , hard to do when your not 100 % yet. 
Today showed how important he could be for us and for rest of season , he dooked his piece in that Broons gravy for entire game

A thoroughly deserved win today after a shaky opening 10 minutes and a nail biting last 20.  I feared the worst when I saw the midfield line up but they did not too badly over the piece although their defending was a bit lax at times. Thought that Ojala had a shaky opening spell but he grew into the game. Thought that Solholm also had a good game although left a bit exposed at times.  Carroll did ok but was caught out positionally a few times and his passing was a bit wayward, but didn't let us down.  The front 3 line up looks promising and is worth persevering with.  Efford looks promising, and Shields put in a good shift. Van Veen is frustrating though. He could easily have notched another 2 goals.  If the game had finished 4/5-2 neither team could have complained. Overall a real determined team performance today with no failures.  I thought GA's substitutions were a bit risky and negative although agree that some players needed taking off as they were done. In the latter stages we showed Aberdeen a glass jaw and defended a bit too deeply for my liking but we prevailed. Had the Dons equalised we would have been in big trouble.

Referee was a bit overly fussy and allowed some Dons players a bit too much leniency when they hit the deck very easily. I'd also like to see our disallowed goal again. I don't condone what some of our young lads did when throwing missiles onto the pitch and that needs to be nipped in the bud, but I suspect that something sparked it off - maybe Ramsay booting the ball into the middle of them - I don't know. He's also building up a reputation as an olympic class diver.   

Anyway credit to the players and management for a fighting and determined performance and treating today like a real cup tie. This will give the club a much needed boost.

7 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

That is supposed to be a national show, yet Gordon and Miller frequently refer to Aberdeen as ‘we’ and are blatantly biased live on air about them. Anyone who heard Gordon’s mumping and moaning after the Craig Reid game in 2014 will know what i mean. It was/is totally unprofessional.

The ones who support one of the Old Firm yet play it down at least attempt to show a bit of impartiality, ie. Chick Young with Rangers and Hugh Keevins with Celtic. It’s relatively well known that Keevins is a Celtic fan and that Young supports Rangers, despite his St.Mirren gimmick. At least they treat their listeners with a bit of respect to not refer to their team as “we” live on air.

I would rather have the honesty of Gordon/ Miller than the lies and deceipt of Young/Keevins any day of the week.  It is the hidden loyalties and that causes many of the problems in Scottish football. The OF still get the lions share of coverage on the BBC just the same.

Somebody mentioned the Craig Reid game above. I remember driving to Aberdeen that day with my Dad. The talk all the way up on Sportsound ( I think coverage started at 2pm)was about a potential Rangers take over. We got out the car at ten to three and there had been no build up or team news for our game. That was back in the Jim Traynor days admittedly (remember the Airdrie man!!!).

• Like 1

Each to their own, but I find Aberdeen and their sportsound cheerleaders insufferable.

As I said I also find Aberdeen’s supporters extremely obnoxious and nasty, as they frequently sing/chant about players getting injured and have heard numerous vile remarks or songs about the deaths of Davie Cooper and Phil O’Donnell from their fans in and around Fir Park over the years. Another thing that always stuck with me was a quote in what I’m sure was John Swinburne’s book about the ‘91 Cup win (Well Worth the Wait). After the 3rd round tie up there the author said that he wished a female Aberdeen supporter well for the remainder of the season to which she responded that she “hoped Ravenscraig shut down tomorrow”.

Add to that I find the City of Aberdeen one of the most sour and unwelcoming of places you could ever have the misfortune to visit, so anything to do with them just annoys me and I love it when we get one over on them.

• Like 1