Motherwell v Aberdeen 12/02/22

pretzel

Big Kev in The Scotsman.

‘Pretend hard man antics cost you’: Motherwell's Kevin van Veen takes aim at Aberdeen centre-halves in Stephen Glass' last stand

Van Veen accused Scott Brown of trying to get him sent off at Pittodrie in November. The Dutchman scored a match-winning double that afternoon. On Saturday he proved equally unplayable. Knowing all about his threat, it would have been negligent had Aberdeen failed to pay him some special attention.

However, Van Veen is adamant this went too far. He claims Aberdeen defenders, specifically centre-halves Declan Gallagher and David Bates, started punching him in the ribs from shortly after kick-off.

The striker made a beeline for Gallagher after scoring. It was memorable theatre. He picked up an inevitable yellow – his 12th of the campaign – for his troubles but managed to avoid a red.

“That’s what you deserve when you play that way: I can play dirty too,” he said later. “I don’t know if you remember the clip with Ruud van Nistelrooy back in the day, when the Arsenal players were in his face after he missed a penalty. That’s what I did. I’ll take a yellow card for that all day long.”

Van Veen believes Aberdeen lost sight of their own objectives by concentrating too much on pretend hard man antics.

“Like I say, they started early, the same way they did with Scott Brown in Aberdeen,” he said. “They were instructed to take me out. I’m quite fiery myself – maybe I need to be a bit more mature and not fly in but when I play on the edge, I’m at my best.“The best way to answer them is scoring goals. My tally should be higher. I’m annoyed about that but it was an important goal against Aberdeen.

“I think they had instructions to take me out of the game. After 10-15 seconds they started punching me in the ribs. I said: ‘I will get you back – I’ll score.’”

Van Veen refused to shake hands with his opposite men afterwards. “Not when they disrespect me like that,” he said. “It’s a game but they didn’t come to shake my hand so I’m not going to step forward to shake theirs. I’m sorry to say that because I’m not arrogant, I’m humble. But they’re arrogant. They got what they deserved.”

I thoroughly enjoyed that cup tie, obviously great that we went onto win the tie but that offside call was ludicrous, I was right inline with it and at the time I thought the two centre backs were keeping Efford well onside which proved to be the case. Seconds later Scott Broon got a free kick when he just dropped to the ground then a short time later they were a goal up, the ball seemed to hang in the air forever from that cross. When we weathered the monsoon we took control and played really well, at half time I felt if we matched that first half performance we would have won by a larger margin. I thought Efford was unfortunate at one point as his threaded through ball got caught in the mud otherwise Shields would have been one on one with the keeper. Tremendous save by Liam Kelly at the end, the striker seemed to have all the time in the world to pick his spot. 

Inconsequential really but I wonder why Aberdeen switched sides before KO, I assumed weather related as surely shooting towards your fans is massive encouragement esph if chasing a goal late on. In saying that I know we done it for quite a few games towards the end of the 18/19 season and we blew the likes of Livingston and Hamilton away in the first half while shooting towards the Cooper.

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A refreshing interveiw. Presumably he tells it like it is, and not what we usually get in bland media interviews ? 

2plus8 - I presume there was nothing personal in it with Gallagher; he'd just be following Alex Ferguson/Matt Busby type instructions.

Perhaps that kind of behaviour began even even further back. Didn't Andy Paton say that he refused to shake hands with anyone after an Aberdeen player had stuck the head on him after the final whistle when he offered his hand?

Laughable at the time to hear Ferguson complain that his St Mirren team were roughed up by Motherwell ruffians in that sell-out cup-tie at FP in the 70s too. As a player he was no stranger to the flying elbow himself. There used to be a YT clip of an Ayr v Motherwell match  at Somerset where his skills in that regard were obvious.

26 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Perhaps that kind of behaviour began even even further back. Didn't Andy Paton say that he refused to shake hands with anyone after an Aberdeen player had stuck the head on him after the final whistle when he offered his hand?

Laughable at the time to hear Ferguson complain that his St Mirren team were roughed up by Motherwell ruffians in that sell-out cup-tie at FP in the 70s too. As a player he was no stranger to the flying elbow himself. There used to be a YT clip of an Ayr v Motherwell match  at Somerset where his skills in that regard were obvious.

It was a Partick player who butted him. Agree 100% about Alex Ferguson. Always ruthless on and off the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Do yer talking on the park Kevin u have probably motivated them to give a performance this Saturday 

He said the same thing about Brown the last time we beat them, so that was the "motivated" version we played against on Saturday..

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Do yer talking on the park Kevin u have probably motivated them to give a performance this Saturday 

they're not good enough to perform, they'll be paying double our money and they're bang average , as are we, but we just had a bit more heart on Saturday. 

Why would anyone shake browns hand, master at getting players sent off.

57 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Quarter Final draw in just over 2 hours.

Motherwell, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, Hibs and Peterhead/Dundee in the hat. The winner of tonight's game at home would be our best hope. I reckon we'll get Dundee Utd at home...

Don’t suppose it will matter. If we manage to avoid the Old Firm we will meet them in the semi final or the final. Our last 3 finals have been against Celtic. When you think of St Johnstone getting to two finals v Hibs and Dundee United iirc.

Fully expect an away tie in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Whilst St Mirren get Dundee at home.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Don’t suppose it will matter. If we manage to avoid the Old Firm we will meet them in the semi final or the final. Our last 3 finals have been against Celtic. When you think of St Johnstone getting to two finals v Hibs and Dundee United iirc.

Fully expect an away tie in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Whilst St Mirren get Dundee at home.

aye but St Johnstone went to ibrox and put Rangers out to get to one final, we couldnt doo that if our lives depended on it.