First time ever?

livivoice

The era from Harri Kampman through to Eric black had it's fair share of foreign players, but I don't think we ever got close to having only one Scotsman in the team, especially with the decent number of homegrown players we used, and the likes of Corrigan being ever present.

Saying that, with the size of our squad we could probably put out an all Scottish XI as well. Maybe that's what we do in training.

There could be more to GA getting rid of Gallagher, Lawless, Watt and Lamie than we think :-)

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I could have sworn there have been times we had no Scots players starting, but I could be misremembering.

Our first team squad is about one third Scottish, which isn't unusual these days. Plus we have three more Scottish youngsters out on loan.

The Covid situation has made it much more challenging to bring through youngsters from the academy as they just aren't getting any competitive games to push them, but hopefully that situation will change soon.

Of course the overall situation started with the Bosman ruling. There also used to be the rule in European competitions that you were only allowed to field 2 "foreign" players and the rest had to be homegrown. So that had a huge impact on the top teams developing their own talent. Once that was scrapped, that also opened the floodgates.

12 hours ago, fizoxy said:

The era from Harri Kampman through to Eric black had it's fair share of foreign players, but I don't think we ever got close to having only one Scotsman in the team, especially with the decent number of homegrown players we used, and the likes of Corrigan being ever present.

Yeah the Kampman era/months had a fair spattering of foreigners but he also brought in Brian McClair, Jered Stirling, Grieg Miller, Jamie McGowan and of course Derek Adams. Some of those names are enough to bring a shudder, though Adams did go on to be a solid player for us.

19 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Yeah the Kampman era/months had a fair spattering of foreigners but he also brought in Brian McClair, Jered Stirling, Grieg Miller, Jamie McGowan and of course Derek Adams. Some of those names are enough to bring a shudder, though Adams did go on to be a solid player for us.

Thought it rang a bell, so just checked - Jamie McGowan was actually English.

About 50% of all the players in the league are non Scots now which is far too high.  Especially as a lot of them are English academy players on loan and foreign flotsam and jetsam.  

I mean Aberdeen gave Bruce Anderson hee haw chance and gave away to Livingston while signing Curtis Main and Jay Emmanuel Thomas.

That's our league in a microcosm.  

The league motto should be 'SPFL Premiership - 'Tripe in, fuck development'

We regularly had 2 Scots in the line up during the 2017-18 season.  Cadden, Tait and Campbell were the regular Scots.  Looking but can't see a match where 2 of them missed out.

Typical team of that era would be something like 

Carson - Kipre, Hartley, Dunne - Cadden, Rose, McHugh, Campbell, Frear - Bowman, Moult.

17 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The league motto should be 'SPFL Premiership - 'Tripe in, fuck development'

Not just the Premiership. Even when I watch Championship games these days I'm surprised at how many non-Scottish players are playing in our lower leagues.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not just the Premiership. Even when I watch Championship games these days I'm surprised at how many non-Scottish players are playing in our lower leagues.

It won't be long until most Scottish youth players come out of English clubs.  Our system is a disgraceful shambles.  

If you even look at the current Scotland U21s squad most of the players have never kicked a ball in a Scottish League match.