Motherwell v Aberdeen 19/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

On 2/13/2022 at 9:12 AM, MJC_mkII said:

History suggests no.

In league and cup double headers between the sides in recent memory it’s always been one win each.

30/01/96 - SC3 Motherwell 0-2 Aberdeen

13/02/96 - League - Motherwell 1-0 Aberdeen

That cup game still annoys me whenever it is mentioned. I think we had been on a run where we hadn't won in 15 games and struggled to score but we had won the previous Tuesday versus Falkirk via an own goal to stop the rot. Transfer rules were stricter back then with signings for the cup having to be made and registered two weeks in advance, we had brought in Willie Falconer who would miss out as he was registered a few days to short but as luck would have it our game was selected for TV and moved from Saturday to Tuesday which meant 15 days had elapsed, but bizarrely the SFA stepped in and said they must stick to the original game date and Falconer couldn't play. Typically we were pumped out.

Those fixtures were sandwiched between a game versus Rangers at Ibrox, thankfully the Aberdeen league game win was the catalyst for an unbeaten run that seen us avoid relegation.

It would be absolutely tremendous if we could get a win on Saturday and make it four from four, if we can replicate the cup performance then I have no doubt we'll do it. 

Falconer signing was a big factor in our survival that season as we had Coyne and Arnott out long term and couldn’t buy a goal.

I remember Dougie Donnelly on the Sportscene highlights of that Cup game saying in his analysis “it looks as though Motherwell could go the rest of the season without scoring another goal doesn’t it?” And at that point it really did.

As for this Saturday, a 0-1 defeat.

6 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Falconer signing was a big factor in our survival that season as we had Coyne and Arnott out long term and couldn’t buy a goal.

I remember Dougie Donnelly on the Sportscene highlights of that Cup game saying in his analysis “it looks as though Motherwell could go the rest of the season without scoring another goal doesn’t it?” And at that point it really did.

As for this Saturday, a 0-1 defeat.

Falconer, Mickey Weir and the lucky 'Dortmund' strip.

50 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Falconer, Mickey Weir and the lucky 'Dortmund' strip.

That was two years later, in 97/98 was it not? That was a horrendously garish kit but I always think of Eliphas Shivute scoring a diving header at Ibrox when I think of it.

1 hour ago, Haggischomper said:

I don't think we should be taking this mob lightly. As shite as they are, it still took a very good save from Kelly at the death to keep the victory. We still have to work harder than them and take our chances.

There speaks a man of hard earned experience.

5 hours ago, The African said:

Not sure if Brown and Gallagher being injured is a positive or negative for us. We really need to be up for this and look to give them nothing. Three points on Saturday could go a long way to getting our season back on track.

We Could possibly see ourselves in 9 th position if we don’t start picking up points. We may well slide down the table but need to remain calm and focus on each game. With our last 5 games we have a good chance to rack up some points but only if we actually show up and play well 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

I don't think we should be taking this mob lightly. As shite as they are, it still took a very good save from Kelly at the death to keep the victory. We still have to work harder than them and take our chances.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree with this.

11 hours ago, The African said:

Not sure if Brown and Gallagher being injured is a positive or negative for us. We really need to be up for this and look to give them nothing. Three points on Saturday could go a long way to getting our season back on track.

I actually thought they played better without those two on the park. So Saturday could be harder than we think.

The biggest challenge is playing the same team in consecutive games. That's never easy as the opponents have fresh experience of how you are playing. So you have to decide if you are going the same again in the belief it's enough to win or change it up for variation and risk the changes are not as effective.