Motherwell v Aberdeen 19/02/22

SteelmaninOZ

Hard to know whether thats a point gained or 2 dropped today. Not a great game of football technically, but still an enjoyable watch with the various duels going on all over the park. Aberdeen certainly turned up to match our physicality at times, but some of their players antics (Montgomery, Hayes and Ramsay) were infuriating at times, particularly with Walsh buying so many of their dives. Thought we were the better team for the most part and looked the more likely to take all 3 points so would seem churlish to pick holes in the performance. Main disappointments for me were not identifying early enough how they were exposing Bevis on our right. We had a couple of warning shots before they scored and did nothing about it.  Also leaving KVV on when he clearly had a shoulder injury and wasnt capable of continuing to boss Gallagher and Bates. Still, with other results not harming us too much again, we are still very much in the mix. Big run of games coming up after the Rangers game that will define our season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mfc said:

I can only echo what others have said about our pitch,it's in great shape considering the weather we have had,we have gone from having the worst pitch at one point to arguably the best,were definitely lucky to have the current grounds staff.

The guest commentator on red tv was slating the pitch yesterday.

12 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

This is what happens when you give a mediocre player a new contract, they think their good. Miles off the game, caught wrong side for the goal and generally gave the Aberdeen goal scorer the run of the wing. Sorry but he is not a fullback, rampaging up the wing might get the crowd going, but the attempts to get back, slowly slowly slowly!!!. 

I have always been his biggest critic but he really has improved big style with surely more development to come, I actually thought we may have lost him this summer. Our team is always going to be full of mediocre premiership players, if they improve into top class Premiership players they move on. But he has strength, his passing has improved, he’s good in the air, and he’s more aware of those around him. 

15 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

This is what happens when you give a mediocre player a new contract, they think their good. Miles off the game, caught wrong side for the goal and generally gave the Aberdeen goal scorer the run of the wing. Sorry but he is not a fullback, rampaging up the wing might get the crowd going, but the attempts to get back, slowly slowly slowly!!!. 

He was caught out at the goal and would have had a second yellow if Hayes hadn’t hurdled his late lunge early in the second half. Not one of his better games and I’d have been tempted to take him off for O’Donnell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, real dosser said:

Haye's tackle was an absolute shocker then he rolled about as if he was dying to get to half time without even a talking to from thr ref.  Assistant was right in line and should have flagged it right away.  Surprise surprise miracle in the South stand at half time and Hayes running about like an Olympic sprinter in the second half. Compliance officer should be asked to look into it. 

Having seen it again in highlights Gordon, I'd say that it warranted  a yellow, maybe red if you take into account excessive force Carl McHugh style. However, I think the referee would have been perfectly justified in giving him a second yellow for simulation later on once he had fully recovered.

2 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

The guest commentator on red tv was slating the pitch yesterday.

Considering it had been pissing down most of the week and the groundstaff would have been mostly keeping off the surface to protect it and most likely weren't able to use the usual maintenance machinery, I thought it was in great condition given it had just passed a 10am inspection.

• Like 1

Overall I thought we merited a draw and were perhaps a shade unlucky not to win. Aberdeen were much "improved" since last week but showed a real nasty edge, as opposed to being physical. There's no doubt that Van Veen's injury hampered us and whilst I understand why he wasn't substituted, ie no one similar to replace him, I didn't agree with the decision, for the reason cited by others. Nastiness aside, Aberdeen were quicker in midfield and worked damned hard to close us down. They had about 5 efforts on target to our 3, despite us having more pressure.  Our defence wasn't great but in fairness it didn't receive much help from midfield.   I thought Donnelly had a poor game and was off the pace; Goss was poor maybe down to those around him; and O'Hara whilst having an energetic game and scoring did leave a few gaps at times.  The engine room, whilst competitive, lacked creativity and our set pieces were quite frankly awful. 

Still, the main talking point was Nick Walsh's refereeing. To put it euphemistically he had a very bad day at the office; lost control early in the first half and never regained it. He looked out of his depth.  Early in the first half Shields was about to break into Don's penalty box from the left and was wiped out by a defender. At that point, Walsh ought to shown him a yellow card to lay amarker down, but didn't and that let Aberdeen know they could play right on the edge, and indeed over it if they so wished, which of course they did.   That was a turning point in the game.  At the time, some of the fouls he awarded Aberdeen looked very soft and the TV highlights only served to underline that. Some Olympic diving and Oscar winning performances from Aberdeen. In particular, Ramirez and Besuijen should have carded for frankly, cheating.  Walsh ruined the game with a weak performance and that and Van Veen's injury will be my abiding memories of this game, sorry to say. 

Blood and snotters.  As a game of football it was a hard watch. Stop start all afternoon with too many players (on both sides) more intent on having their own personal vendettas. Mind you I did enjoy Donnelly’s crunch on Ferguson - right in the haw maws. 

We were certainly the better side  in the 2nd half and if Shields had scored near the end it would’ve been a deserved win.

Aberdeen must have the whingeist (don’t know if that’s a word) players in Scottish football. Like last week, they complained all game to the referee every time our players made a tackle and won the ball - fairly.

In his post-match interview, Goodwin said he had asked his players to stand up to Motherwell’s physical style of play.  I know I’m biased but I don’t consider us to be an overly physical side.  I thought that every time we tried to play football they were happy to commit fouls and stop the game flowing - undoubtedly orchestrated by Goodwin.  Incidentally he has a f*cking cheek to talk about teams being physical - when he played for St. Mirren he was one of the dirtiest players around and in his time there had 61 yellow cards and 4 reds! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, El Grew said:

In his post-match interview, Goodwin said he had asked his players to stand up to Motherwell’s physical style of play.  I know I’m biased but I don’t consider us to be an overly physical side.  I thought that every time we tried to play football they were happy to commit fouls and stop the game flowing - undoubtedly orchestrated by Goodwin.  Incidentally he has a f*cking cheek to talk about teams being physical - when he played for St. Mirren he was one of the dirtiest players around and in his time there had 61 yellow cards and 4 reds! 

We're not overly physical but there's a world of difference between being physical ie being able to withstand challenges/successfully make challenges and being dirty which was what Goodwin was.

1 hour ago, andalg said:

Cant believe the criticism Mugabi is getting.  The only reason he makes more mistakes than some others is because he is doing more in the first place !

That sort of implies the more tackles etc that Mugabi is involved in the more mistakes he makes, that's not helping your point in defending him.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, Spiderpig said:

That sort of implies the more tackles etc that Mugabi is involved in the more mistakes he makes, that's not helping your point in defending him.

If you do most of the work you will make the most mistakes Nobody's perfect and if they were they certainly wouldn't be playing for us !