Mark O’Hara

SteelmaninOZ

44 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good midfield is more than the sum of its parts. At the moment, it just isn't right. 

completely with you on this.  This has been an issue for a couple of years now.  Im sure a 3 man midfield could work but not with our current blend - this for me is related to the front 3, the midfield should be able to seamless link with defence and attack - ours doesn't. 

That said, I believe O'Hara to be part of the solution not the problem, a box to box midfielder is something we need. 

59 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

completely with you on this.  This has been an issue for a couple of years now.  Im sure a 3 man midfield could work but not with our current blend - this for me is related to the front 3, the midfield should be able to seamless link with defence and attack - ours doesn't. 

That said, I believe O'Hara to be part of the solution not the problem, a box to box midfielder is something we need. 

People persisting with the 4-3-3 doesn't work when we are going into the final straight to the split in the Top 6 and with a better record than any other non city club over the last season and a half, playing 4-3-3 virtually the entire time.

What would we have had to do playing 4-3-3 for it to have been deemed to work?

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

People persisting with the 4-3-3 doesn't work when we are going into the final straight to the split in the Top 6 and with a better record than any other non city club over the last season and a half, playing 4-3-3 virtually the entire time.

What would we have had to do playing 4-3-3 for it to have been deemed to work?

I think most say it doesn't work due to the football on show is poor although I am with you in that it has got results.

This type of 433 is how Alexander wants to play and outwith glasgow 2 or whenever he has switched to back 5 to close out winning positions there has not been 1 other team that has  dominated us this year that I can remember. 

I would like a 433 like either of glasgow 2 play with ball players in midfield  and exciting wingers but unfortunately our players aren't that good so we play percentages that has gotten results.

Some say midfield isn't working but that is I think because the midfield doesn't play how that particular poster feels a midfield should which is also how i feel which is maintain possession create chances dominate the ball etc rather than just compete. 

The only time I can remember in recent years doing that is 6 months of turnbull gorrin and campbell when we were playing mostly bottom 6 teams at end of season then 1st 6 to 9 months of donnelly campbell and polworth before covid. Those midfield also struggled against glasgow 2 and against others who played more like our midfield of today.

On Saturday for instance our midfield were more than a match for Ferguson and mcrorie who would likely get into every midfield in country other than glasgow 2 so that tells me that it is working in the eyes of the manager.

4 hours ago, gaz7 said:

On Saturday for instance our midfield were more than a match for Ferguson and mcrorie who would likely get into every midfield in country other than glasgow 2 so that tells me that it is working in the eyes of the manager.

I don't rate Ferguson at all. Really don't see it with him. 

The only thing that Malpas ever said while manager that I agreed with is that players win and lose you games, formations don't. Having said that. Those crying out for 442 because 433 is leaving us short in midfield seem to be missing the point. With 442, you only have two central midfielders so are probably more at risk of being outnumbered than a 433. Unless you don't play wingers,  you play wide midfielders like we did under Butcher when we had Pearson and Lasley out wide. But you lose from an attacking point of view with that. My own view is that any formation that has you playing only two centre midfielders is lunacy...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Sir Alf Ramsay won the World Cup and Jock Stein won the European Cup doing just that. :)

Last team that had any real success playing it was Leicester when they won the league. And they had Kante doing the work of three men. To me there's a reason that very few teams play a traditional 442 with a flat midfield four now...