Rangers v Motherwell 27/02/2022

SteelmaninOZ

The likelihood is that we’ll lose here, but strangely I feel more optimistic facing them at Ibrox than I would if this was at Fir Park. In our last three visits to Ibrox we have lost 2-1 & 3-1 having led both times then drew 1-1 with them in September with their goal being offside.

Hopefully with them coming off of a European game on Thursday night they’ll be leg weary and if we can avoid conceding early on their crowd will get on their backs.

Realistically 0-1

Optimistically 1-1

1 hour ago, well_said said:

I reckon this will be the team on Sunday

Kelly

O Donnell

Mugabe

Sondre 

Ojala 

Lamie 

Mcginley

Carroll

Donnelly

Slattery

Woolery

We might just manage a nil nil draw.

If we're 1 up with 25 mins to go, I could imagine that being the eleven that finishes the game.

On the downside, all this 'Rangers were denied two penalties' chat will mean they'll probably get at least one against us.

22 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

If we're 1 up with 25 mins to go, I could imagine that being the eleven that finishes the game.

On the downside, all this 'Rangers were denied two penalties' chat will mean they'll probably get at least one against us.

So they'll get the same number as usual then...

15 hours ago, well_said said:

I reckon this will be the team on Sunday

Kelly

O Donnell

Mugabe

Sondre 

Ojala 

Lamie 

Mcginley

Carroll

Donnelly

Slattery

Woolery

We might just manage a nil nil draw.

I would take out Woolery and put in O'Hara, if only we had Ray Farningham we might just snatch it (reminiscing!!!!!!)

Rangers easily dispatched Hearts and Hibs at Ibrox recently, Dundee United defended well against them on Sunday with the second half in particular being one way traffic. Frustratingly its seldom they slip up twice domestically these days to teams out with Celtic, I'm hoping their European tie goes the full distance on Thursday night in hope that they might be knackered come Sunday. I would be delighted if we can get anything from this game, we done well enough at Ibrox earlier in the season.

Has anything been mentioned about Van Veen's injury? Also Solholm and Efford were struggling a bit at the weekend before being taken off.

9 hours ago, 2plus8 said:

Personally I’d like to see Slattery back in the team. I think if we had Woolery / Slatts / O’Hara & Goss in the midfield we’d have a lot of energy. But I can’t see a team without Donnelly being named.

Slattery is persona non grata for GA...I think he would play anyone else than Slattery just now

On a side note, it’ll be twenty-five years this May since we last won a league match at Ibrox. Have we ever had such a barren run at any other away ground we’ve visited regularly? 

For comparison in that same period we have won four times at Celtic Park in League fixtures.

That’s one of the many reasons why winning there in the playoff 1st leg was so incredible, because we won what was the biggest game there of the lot since that day in May 97.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kat said:

Rangers easily dispatched Hearts and Hibs at Ibrox recently, Dundee United defended well against them on Sunday with the second half in particular being one way traffic. Frustratingly its seldom they slip up twice domestically these days to teams out with Celtic, I'm hoping their European tie goes the full distance on Thursday night in hope that they might be knackered come Sunday. I would be delighted if we can get anything from this game, we done well enough at Ibrox earlier in the season.

Has anything been mentioned about Van Veen's injury? Also Solholm and Efford were struggling a bit at the weekend before being taken off.

Yeah but Dundee Utd carried a huge amount of luck too. On another day Rangers would have stuck 6 past Utd.  4-0 for Rangers without them breaking sweat. OJala and Solholm are slower than a week in jail. Rangers have far too much pace for us.

13 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Yeah but Dundee Utd carried a huge amount of luck too. On another day Rangers would have stuck 6 past Utd.  4-0 for Rangers without them breaking sweat. OJala and Solholm are slower than a week in jail. Rangers have far too much pace for us.

TBF that's generally always the case when the Old Firm come calling, all the other clubs generally need a degree of luck to get over the line. I thought United were well worthy of the 1-0 HT lead on Sunday but as you say it was one way traffic in the second half and they were fortunate with the penalty incidents, its not like Mr Madden to miss them considering what he has given against us in recent times. Obviously it would be no surprise to come away empty handed as per, they're however playing three fixtures in the space of 6 days so you'll imagine they will rotate a bit.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Well Well said:

Slattery is persona non grata for GA...I think he would play anyone else than Slattery just now

This is becoming a "thing" that isn't a thing. Slattery has been available for 29 games and has started 22 of them, and came on in another 2.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

O'Hara is showing that you need a big engine to play that role in the team and Slattery at the moment doesn't have the legs to do it.

He was very good in the holding role at Easter Road and i'd like to see him there again as he offers more than Donnelly.

Some merit in that. Let’s just see if he offers more consistency against harder working midfields than Aberdeen.

Slattery is the pivot for me. 

32 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Some merit in that. Let’s just see if he offers more consistency against harder working midfields than Aberdeen.

Slattery is the pivot for me. 

Slattery or Goss can’t have both in the same team or that midfield will come to a stop both one paced very slow 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Spiderpig said:

No free hit this week, win and we stay in the hunt for 4th lose and it could potentially be 9th so no pressure. We got a point the last time we were there so why not 3 this time, personally I can't see it happening but here's hoping,  coyw.

I don't think it's quite as stark as that.

After this match we have a great run of fixtures for this stage in the season.  If you'd handpicked the fixtures they couldn't be any better.

Of course we have to get points out of them but they are there to be won.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I don't think it's quite as stark as that.

After this match we have a great run of fixtures for this stage in the season.  If you'd handpicked the fixtures they couldn't be any better.

Of course we have to get points out of them but they are there to be won.

Aye we got 11 points from those fixtures in the first cycle. 7 from the tougher reversed second cycle. 

7-11 points from the 5 games will put us in the hunt for 4th place and Europe at the split.