2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

As we head towards the end of the season we have the following players out of contract at the end of May unless I'm mistaken (please let me know if any of these have changed):

• PJ Morrison
  • Ricki Lamie (pre-contract signed with Dundee)
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Mark O'Hara (pre-contract signed with St Mirren)
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan)
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Darragh O’Connor

I'd look to only retain Morrison, O'Hara, O'Connor, and possibly Grimshaw for his versatility as a backup from that list.

Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, David said:

As we head towards the end of the season we have the following players out of contract at the end of May unless I'm mistaken (please let me know if any of these have changed):

• PJ Morrison
  • Nathan McGinley
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Mark O'Hara
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Darragh O’Connor

I'd look to only retain Morrison, O'Hara, O'Connor, and possibly Grimshaw for his versatility as a backup from that list.

Thoughts?

O'Hara maybe O'Connor - rest can go.

• Like 2

McGinley has signed a new contract. 

Very decent squad player .  Not an automatic start , this for me has been an issue for years on left had side of defence. 

I personally dislike that we have a very large squad, mainly full of ok players, some who will get short runs of games before self destructing. Appreciate the need for continuity etc but hard to see how we'll move forward if we resign players who aren't auto starters. 

8 hours ago, David said:

• PJ Morrison
  • Nathan McGinley
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Mark O'Hara
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Darragh O’Connor

Thoughts?

I'd only keep O'Hara unless someone else can present evidence for a new contract between now and the end of the season.

45 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Wouldn't mind Amaluzor for another year, he's young and has shown flashes when he's had 15 minutes here or there. I doubt he's breaking the bank either.

I like what I've seen so far too and I'm surprised he's not had proper game time. Not sure 25 is that young though so if Alexander isn't convinced by him now I'm not sure he'll ever be.

7 hours ago, CoF said:

I like what I've seen so far too and I'm surprised he's not had proper game time. Not sure 25 is that young though so if Alexander isn't convinced by him now I'm not sure he'll ever be.

Yep at 25 he’s either good  enough or he’s not, he should be approaching his peak.

In fairness to the guy in the three games he has started we have won them all, one being against Annan of course and the others being league wins over Dundee and Livi. I might be wrong but most of his sub appearances seem to come late in games when he has little or no time to make an impact. He certainly helped turn the tide in the Morton cup tie. I'm sure he'll be away come the summer.

15 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Very decent squad player .  Not an automatic start , this for me has been an issue for years on left had side of defence.

Defensively left back has been a problem for many years. Stevie Hammell for example, was weak defensively but his pace and attacking ability compensated for this. McGinley is ok but no more than that. Maybe GA will be able to develop him further - he must see something in him to award an extension. 

I think Joe Efford's deal is only till the summer - from what I've seen I would be happy if the club could keep him longer -not a world beater but IMO these last few games he has been the link we've missed. He is decent at getting us up the park and since he has come into the team KVV seems to be linking into the team better also.

*** Edit: Ah just read that Efford signed up till summer 2023

Left back was an area i was hoping we would be looking to really improve for next season so having carroll and now mcginley tied up is disappointing.right back is also a bit of a problem,odonnell is the captain and surely one of our highest earners but doesn't put in enough good performances to warrant either,I wouldn't be against him moving on if we could find any takers.i wouldn't be in a rush either to sign any of the rest of the players that are out of contract,there all squad players and could be easily replaced.

12 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

I understand the others but why doesnt anyone seem to want Morrison to stay. It seems a bit harsh.

I'd be more than happy for him to stay, I'd rather he was second choice than Fox - who we could have let go and at least given PJ a bit of a chance should he need to replace Kelly.

At 24 he might be better leaving though - plenty of championship clubs would snap him up - decent young keeper. 

We have a really good goalkeeper in kelly,who should be playing every game and rightly so,fox giving his age is probably happy to play second fiddle at a premier league club where pj really needs to start playing games to get his career going,he's only 24 so has plenty time on his side but I think it would benefit him if he was to move on and be a number one elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

I understand the others but why doesnt anyone seem to want Morrison to stay. It seems a bit harsh.

He's been at Fir park a few years now and for me there is a reason he is 3rd choice keeper I.e he's not that good. So maybe it's time for him to move on and find regular football elsewhere probably in league 1 or 2.

26 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

He's been at Fir park a few years now and for me there is a reason he is 3rd choice keeper I.e he's not that good. So maybe it's time for him to move on and find regular football elsewhere probably in league 1 or 2.

I'd be reluctant to dismiss him on that basis. Not getting a game because of Trevor Carson, Mark Gillespie and Liam Kelly doesn't make you a bad goalkeeper. I think during the car crash Aaron Chapman era, he was out on loan. 

Not saying he is good enough but he's been stuck behind some decent keepers...

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'd be reluctant to dismiss him on that basis. Not getting a game because of Trevor Carson, Mark Gillespie and Liam Kelly doesn't make you a bad goalkeeper. I think during the car crash Aaron Chapman era, he was out on loan. 

Not saying he is good enough but he's been stuck behind some decent keepers...

Let's be honest, if he was good enough to be even slightly challenging Kelly he'd be the second choice, not Fox. He's 24 now, he should surely be looking to at least make that slot on our bench his own.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I do get concerned that GA seems to be happy with Carroll and Mcginley as both signed for next season, Carroll again caught on wrong side last week and although mcginley has improved he is still not someone I feel comfortable with.  But we shall see how it goes..COYW

I remember Robinson saying McGinley had a huge amount of ability and been isolated in a flat away from home was effecting him, Alexander seems to have the same high opinion. I’m somewhere in the middle in as much as I think  he gets too much stick without been blown away, I prefer Carroll.

• David locked this topic