2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

37 minutes ago, Well Well said:

O'Connor showed he had the skills pre-season and think he would do well and one for the future. I would give him a contract for a couple of years.

He is getting good game time at QotS, hopefully someone is watching to help us make a decision on him

On 2/24/2022 at 7:32 PM, Ya Bezzer! said:
  • PJ Morrison    
  • Ricki Lamie (pre-contract signed with Dundee)
  • Nathan McGinley
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Mark O'Hara
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan)
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Darragh O’Connor
  • PJ Morrison     Keep as backup
  • Ricki Lamie (pre-contract signed with Dundee)  would have kept no worse that the others
  • Nathan McGinley  - Release
  • Victor Nirennold - Never Seen him expected to be rubbish
  • Liam Grimshaw - Failed repeatedly release
  • Mark O'Hara - Failed - Injury prone release
  • Liam Donnelly - Failed - Slow Injury prone  release
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan) - back to Celtic - Injured 
  • Jordan Roberts  - Failed done nothing since first loan period - release
  • Justin Amaluzor - Failed can't break into this team  - release
  • Darragh O’Connor - Out on Loan, after early injury  - Keep to see in any development
  • Like 1

Its what i think not what is or has happened. There's very few i would keep, but we now give 3 year contracts out so hope most turn out well.

We need to trust the manager and scouts however i think long contracts should only be given to keep the best players after they have been here say 6 months and been assessed

On 2/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, David said:

As we head towards the end of the season we have the following players out of contract at the end of May unless I'm mistaken (please let me know if any of these have changed):

• PJ Morrison
  • Ricki Lamie (pre-contract signed with Dundee)
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Mark O'Hara
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan)
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Darragh O’Connor

I'd look to only retain Morrison, O'Hara, O'Connor, and possibly Grimshaw for his versatility as a backup from that list.

Thoughts?

I’d look to keep O’Hara, Roberts & Amaluzor. I know we’ve not seen a lot of Justin. But I just think he offers so much energy and pace to our side. 

Is SOD not out of contract this year? I was hoping to wish him goodbye! 

2 hours ago, 2plus8 said:

Is SOD not out of contract this year? I was hoping to wish him goodbye! 

No he has another year on his deal.

From the original list I wouldn't be surprised if all ten players move on. Lamie is obviously away for sure and Shaw will return to Celtic. By all accounts we must think highly of PJ Morrison as he has been around for what seems like an age, I'm sure he'll want to kick on, with Fox recently signing a contract extension will he want to stay and be third choice again.

When Grimshaw returned from illness he was used frequently in the team but he has drifted in and out of the squad recently.  It was mentioned a few weeks back that O'Hara had a few offers on the table from other clubs, this will likely be the same come the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Donnelly is offered a contract extension but his injury record is a concern. O'Conner seems to be doing alright at QOTS so he is another who might get offered another year or so.

Will certainly be interesting to see what GA does in the summer. He's set his stall out now with the style and tactics he wants to play and seen how his own signings have performed. There will obviously be better options in the summer than there were in January, so plenty of opportunity to improve with the right moves.

I would expect GA to be quite ruthless in the summer. He has shown he isnt afraid to drop/move players on who arent good enough or who dont buy into his philosophy. Will be interesting to see who out of the list above he thinks he can trust.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

appreciate not everyone is a raving fan -  personal view he's very decent player and would generally be in my starting 11. 

I’m intrigued to find out what others base this on? And if I hear his ‘box to box’ credentials I may scream. 

I'm not fussed hes away and it's not surprise he's away to st mirren,I wouldn't be surprised donnelly ends up there as well.our midfield is poor and in need of serious attention come the summer so the more we get out the door the better.

• Like 1

Just now, grizzlyg said:

I liked o"hara and not surprised he is leaving, if you were a midfielder would you want to play under GA? Ball flies over you all the time. So we are losing Lamie and O'Hara but have resigned Mcginley!!...ahhhh the joys

I still can't believe we resigned mcginley,the thought of him and carroll battling it out at left back for another season is grim.

• Sad 1

Watt going to United can argue the case till the cows come home. Losing Lamie and Oharra to pisher teams than us does suggest not all the players are onboard with GA.

Fair enough if these guys were fringe men but aside from Kelly & VanVeen, they are in our ever rotating starting 11 as much as anyone else

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm not fussed hes away and it's not surprise he's away to st mirren,I wouldn't be surprised donnelly ends up there as well.our midfield is poor and in need of serious attention come the summer so the more we get out the door the better.

its kinda hard to judge our midfield we bypass them in every game

• David locked this topic